Staff Kudos: Monster Artificial Intelligence

Started by jriley, August 17, 2010, 08:00:34 PM

I once had a 4-day Hunter eaten by a scrab.  It was the result of some bad dice rolls on my part.

It was amazing -- think about it, a character that I had spent 96 hours building was destroyed before I could type out enough commands to save him, by one of the most abundant monsters in the game.

It has made each subsequent encounter with a scrab that much more exciting. 

I love this about arm -- each victory over the mobiles carries with it some amount of meaning. 

The best thing about the mobiles is how different some of them are, the ones that the coders have given artificial intelligence to.  Think about how different an encounter with a jozhal is from one with a carru. 

Without going into specifics, I have seen that there has been a large boost to the AI of some of the mobiles over the course of the last couple years, even in the course of the last couple of months.

I love this.  A fight with one type of monster is very different from a fight with a different monster.  They stand out. 
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

Hrm. I'm a bit of a wasteland noob, but all the difference I ever noticed was Flee, Stand, and Chase.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 17, 2010, 08:10:46 PM
Hrm. I'm a bit of a wasteland noob, but all the difference I ever noticed was Flee, Stand, and Chase.

I'm no supreme hunter, but I can support that there's a lot of neat stuff to encounter out in the wastes. Some of it closer to home than you might like.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Feel free to drop a kudos in the request tool. Our coders will be glad to know someone appreciates their work.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 17, 2010, 08:10:46 PM
Heh. You haven't seen much, then. Most basic creatures do, indeed, follow this sort of pattern. But even then, there appears to be a bit of variation in the combination and periods of various actions. Once you move into other areas, the AI can often be scary, nearly enough to convince you that there are Staff in that mob. One area, in particular, stands out in my mind, and I have always wished that that area's features had been more widely spread, and that the basic mobs had evolved on that blueprint.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

There's some very nicely fleshed-out mobs... As they are more recently implemented, I have a feeling things will only get better.

I almost never find reason to post, but this post is where I will throw in my bump.

I love the mobile AI, always.

I play the game for the wastes, for the surprises I find. it is infinitely rewarding.

Thank you guys so much for this game.

September 26, 2010, 12:40:24 AM #7 Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:42:14 AM by janeshephard
I think my first 3-4 characters were killed by scrabs/'toks. Essentially, "trash mobs."

Technically, and people will hate this, stats matter. Otherwise spend a month RL in the 'Byn. Something I think I haven't done yet to be honest.

Longest lived for me is directly related to stats and eq selection. I wish I could make a better claim for an RPI MUD but I can't without being dishonest.

I disagree, btw, your run of the mill mobs shouldn't be so hard. Otherwise, it does lower the value of every PC in terms of survival. I suspect my post will bring out some passionate responses and I welcome them. Just don't flame me too much. It's not fun to die to a scrab or a 'tok.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

I wish there were lessor mobs that newbs could straight up hunt without dying. I really do wish that.

But then, in the current state of things, you should make friends and stop trying to do it solo. There's always an indie hunter looking for more fodder.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on September 26, 2010, 12:48:55 AM
I wish there were lessor mobs that newbs could straight up hunt without dying. I really do wish that.

But then, in the current state of things, you should make friends and stop trying to do it solo. There's always an indie hunter looking for more fodder.

There are several mobs new characters can hunt without dying, aren't there?
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

I think in terms of southern wildlife, since I haven't played in the North in years and years.

And yes, very technically, in the south, there are.

In the north, there are many more.

The south needs equality.

I'll agree with you there wholeheartedly. The south needs a little more love, IMO.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on September 26, 2010, 01:07:54 AM
I think in terms of southern wildlife, since I haven't played in the North in years and years.

And yes, very technically, in the south, there are.

In the north, there are many more.

The south needs equality.

Disclaimer: Newbie who has only played 'naki characters.

I get the impression that the south is meant to be somewhat more brutal than the north.  Is it such a bad thing that the wildlife reflects that?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Is it bad?

I don't know. It certainly reflects the view that the south is harder than the north, and that I like a great deal. And if PCs were real, living and breathing people, few would be leaving the gates. But PCs do it all the time, even if most VNPCs never do.

So for those PCs, yes, I think there should be newb level wildlife in more abundance and not two rooms from a scrab/spider/gith/silt flyer/horror....

:)

That said, I love my Allanak.

Rather than the difficulty-level of killing mobs in Allanak, what puzzles me more is how much bone and leather there is considering I can only think of two wild animals in the entire southlands that produce bones and only three that produce leather.

I guess they just kill a lot of mekillots and farm a whole stink-load of chaltons.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on September 26, 2010, 01:46:56 AM
Rather than the difficulty-level of killing mobs in Allanak, what puzzles me more is how much bone and leather there is considering I can only think of two wild animals in the entire southlands that produce bones and only three that produce leather.

I guess they just kill a lot of mekillots and farm a whole stink-load of chaltons.

People.

Soylent Green is people.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on September 26, 2010, 02:01:32 AM
Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on September 26, 2010, 01:46:56 AM

People.

Soylent Green is people.

Not people, skinnies . . .
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

I agree.  I love how mobs flee and charge and do all sorts of neato things.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

I have also noticed a southern beast uses kick and bash. These put a whole new level of wtfpwn when you cop a bash, get prone, then have said beast tearing into you. Lost a PC that way to an amazingly good bash, followed by a series of punishing neck and head hits. And yes I did have neck and head armor, it just went right through.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Quote from: Scarecrow on September 26, 2010, 04:59:47 AM
I have also noticed a southern beast uses kick and bash. These put a whole new level of wtfpwn when you cop a bash, get prone, then have said beast tearing into you. Lost a PC that way to an amazingly good bash, followed by a series of punishing neck and head hits. And yes I did have neck and head armor, it just went right through.

Just imagine how bad it would have been without head an neck armor.

There are quite a few types of beasties in the south. The thing is, most of them can kill you.

Certain desert beasties also yell at you, and have unique combat echoes. I like.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

If you're smart and your solo-ranger is smart, you can solo anywhere.  You just have to be really patient and really cautious.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Quote from: Marshmellow on September 26, 2010, 03:21:24 PM
If you're smart and your solo-ranger is smart, you can solo anywhere.  You just have to be really patient and really cautious.

Sadly, I'm just not that bright. :(
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on September 26, 2010, 03:47:52 PM

Sadly, I'm just not that bright. :(

Nonsense.  In any event, you are awesome at urban/clan based plotlines.
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."