Role/Family/Friend

Started by Ravenfeather, July 20, 2010, 04:56:48 AM

The only exceptions to what Spawnloser says, would be sponsored roles (sponsored by staff or player-sponsored pre-approved by staff), and tribes that allow you to create characters for without preapproval, but are by their nature, family roles that you wouldn't recruit for IC. Such as desert elves. Knowing if there's at least 1 active member in a desert elf tribe can go a long way, if you're considering making a character in that tribe. But even in a case like that, your best bet would be to ask the staff, and not the players.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Ravenfeather on July 23, 2010, 09:04:56 AM
I may or may not have in the first two hours found myself totally screwed over by said PC locked in a room and raped/killed...

Which may .. or may not be pretty similar to the same thing that happened last time.

I suppose I may or may not be back in another twelve months *shrugs*.

As monumentally frustrating as it is to be lured and butchered by some griefer (IC or OOC), it is a valuable lesson. I have lost quite a few characters to these sorts of tactics, and each time, I tally up another mark on my "List of Things Not to Do". It can really suck when it happens to a character of whom you are particularly fond. But, them's the breaks.

As for learning the game, I agree with the suggestion of playing rangers. Not only are they a durable class that has a great deal of (pardon the pun) range, but they get listen, which means you can sit in taverns and pick up all sorts of slang, gossip, news, and even the occasional secret. Plus, they are one of the most easily hired classes in the game.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on July 23, 2010, 09:48:56 AM
- When you look for work or assistance, look for it from reputable people: House Kadius, House Salarr, etc.  People in livery.
This, oh sweet Highlord, this!

If Joe Barfly, who you've been chatting with all day and night, is dressed in black, with pointy knives and such sticking out from under his cloak, then maybe he's not the sort you want to take a midnight stroll with. Same thing goes for the gruff guy with a battle-axe strapped to his back and blood spattered on his gear. Sure, there's a chance that they're legit, but this is your life...do you really wanna be taking those sorts of chances?

On the other hand, someone wearing house regalia will, more than likely, have a rep to maintain, and be less likely to pick you out as an easy mark. Now, they might peg you as a sucker and sell you stuff you don't need, or get you doing jobs for them that no one else wants to do, but that's good RP IMHO. And it certainly beats:

You have died.

_______                                ___
                              /\\_____//~-_                        _-~\\__
                             (~)       ~-_ ~-_                  _-~ _-~
                            (~)           ~-_ ~-_            _-~ /-~
Welcome to Armageddon!     (~)              `~-_ ~_======_--~~ __~
                          (~)               _~_\__\____/__/_--\ ~`-_
                           \           _-~~            _-~~~-_ \_  ~-_
You may:                    ~-       __--~`_    /   _-~         ~.     ~_
(N) Create a new account           -~        \     _~       ___,  \ ~-_  \
(C) Connect to your account      ,~ _-,       ~  _~         \   \  | , \ \
(V) Toggle ANSI/VT100 mode      / /~/      -~   /            ~  /  /  \~  \
(B) Toggle 'brief' menus        | | \     _~    |        __-~  / _/  \~  '\
(D) Documentation menu          \ ~-_~   -   |  _      ~-____-~ .~  \~    |
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens