RTW Derail: -armed tag on people with weapons

Started by Blackisback, July 14, 2010, 08:11:30 AM

This sort of thing could get utterly spammy during an HRPT.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I would like it (if it had a brief toggle).  My reason being it is illegal to have a drawn weapon in most centers if civilization, and therefore should be highly standout-ish.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

perhaps it is given that the character is not skilled enough to not make a noise of some sort when drawing even a steak knife.
One could surmise that bone, stone or wood makes a subtle sound when being drawn, bumps the buckle on a belt, plate of bone or shell on the armor, or perhaps even ones own gloves. Could be that your leathers on your armor needed oiling and had not been tended so that when your drawing your weapon your movement is enough to draw attention or even offer the familiar sound that most other pcs become customer  to hearing. Light Catches along some shinny part of the blade or glints off the polished hilt. A vnps is watching you and gasps as the blade is drawn, bringing others attention upon you. One can always rationalize if one choses to.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

I don't like the idea. It's always served me well enough to just look at anyone I thought might be armed. If I didn't look, then my PC just didn't notice the impending attack.

My characters are -not- all seeing, all knowing. Sometimes you miss things.

Finally, when it comes to moving around with 20 people through the desert, all armed, less spam is a good thing.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: Dan on July 18, 2010, 02:12:22 PM
I don't like the idea. It's always served me well enough to just look at anyone I thought might be armed. If I didn't look, then my PC just didn't notice the impending attack.

Finally, when it comes to moving around with 20 people through the desert, all armed, less spam is a good thing.

+1
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

July 18, 2010, 03:36:58 PM #30 Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 03:46:30 PM by Blackisback
I think, if anything, it should be a representation of your character. If you're an assassin trying to sneakily wield that longknife (assuming the longknife isn't -too- large/gawdy) then it shouldn't show. If you are a run of the mill warrior who is waltzing about with their shortsword or a battleaxe without any attempt at subterfuge, then it should be made clear that you are armed.

As for talks about being "not all seeing", there are instances of this already in place. Seeing people walk in and out of buildings, people emoting, people crafting, etc. To say we are not "all seeing" when all evidence points to the contrary is pretty ridiculous. We may not acknowledge these emotes, but we can surely see them. Why emotes/walking/crafting and not "-He is armed", which is something any casual observer would note?

QuoteI don't like the idea. It's always served me well enough to just look at anyone I thought might be armed. If I didn't look, then my PC just didn't notice the impending attack.

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Dan on July 18, 2010, 02:12:22 PM

>brief armed
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: X-D on July 18, 2010, 03:43:25 PM
QuoteI don't like the idea. It's always served me well enough to just look at anyone I thought might be armed. If I didn't look, then my PC just didn't notice the impending attack.

+1
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

All right, then why not compromise? It would be nice if you got an echo

>He is armed with ____

When someone simply draws a sword or axe or hammer or whatnot. But when someone stealthily pulls something out of their boots/wrists/gloves/etc the echo can not be seen without specifically looking at the person?

I know nothing of MUDcode, so that might not even be possible/easy though.

Personally, I doubt someone could conceal anything larger than a shortsword if they're holding it with in one or two hands. Something like a two-handed sword in a city would defiantly be noticeable though, just like someone holding a gun in our world.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Don't you already GET an echo when people draw and wield weapons?

I've seen this, every time, without fail.

Complete with slip/palm for your stealthy thing (that part is, I admit, a guess. Dunno if it's been done in front of me, if it has, I haven't seen it.)
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on July 18, 2010, 08:00:45 PM
Don't you already GET an echo when people draw and wield weapons?

You totally do, unless they're using a sneaky command or special equipment.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Not what I was talking about. I was saying when they draw it regularly without the sneakiness then they get the tag under their SDESC "-Is armed" so if someone new walks in they'll see:

The ____, _____ Curved Sexy Female is here.
-She is carrying a large, afro-ridden bag
-She is armed with an extremely large Key

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Nah.

Somebody having a giant bag show is one thing, but if you want to see if they are armed, there are two commands for that.

Next thing you know people will want to know if somebody is naked without looking, soon we walk into a room and get 7 pages of eq spam from 2 PCs. No thanks.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on July 18, 2010, 08:36:11 PM
Nah.

Somebody having a giant bag show is one thing, but if you want to see if they are armed, there are two commands for that.

Next thing you know people will want to know if somebody is naked without looking, soon we walk into a room and get 7 pages of eq spam from 2 PCs. No thanks.

Why do people keep dodging me when I ask this? Why accept someone holding a bag (someone being completely non-threatening and less noticeable than someone wielding a weapon) but you so vehemently refuse to have an -armed tag? How can you justify one without the other?

You shouldn't have to 'peek' in their shiz to see if they got a bag half their size on their back. That's why it's different. You can look/assess to see if someone is wielding a weapon.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on July 18, 2010, 09:06:29 PM
You shouldn't have to 'peek' in their shiz to see if they got a bag half their size on their back. That's why it's different. You can look/assess to see if someone is wielding a weapon.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Not to mention, I don't see how LOOKing to SEE something makes little sense?

Sorry, but it's a text-based game. If you can't be assed into reading even an eq list, then I can't fathom why you'd want to play something without graphics.

July 18, 2010, 10:03:41 PM #42 Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 10:05:50 PM by Blackisback
Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on July 18, 2010, 09:50:27 PM
Sorry, but it's a text-based game. If you can't be assed into reading even an eq list, then I can't fathom why you'd want to play something without graphics.

Cut the snark, it has nothing to do with reading, it has everything to do with common sense.

Edit:

And once again, no justification for -He is holding a large bag.

Quote from: Blackisback on July 18, 2010, 10:03:41 PM

If they're carrying a couch.. you, as a player, should know it. Be it RP purposes or combat or what. How is that not justification for seeing heavier items?

Assess -v amos
he is excellent
he is sweepy
he is ARMED

Too lazy to type maybe?
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

assess and assess -v return an echo if people are particularly perceptive.

By typing "look" without arguement (as in, look at the room, not at anything specific), you can see if someone is carrying a couch, but you can't see that someone is standing there wielding a massive bone broadsword. You can't even tell he's armed at all. You can't even tell that he's totally and completely buck-naked, except for his massive bone broadsword, and his massive broad boner.

I believe you should be able to see this just by virtue of your being in the room and typing "look."

I WANT 2 C UR BONR
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Majikal on July 18, 2010, 10:15:41 PM
Quote from: Blackisback on July 18, 2010, 10:03:41 PM

If they're carrying a couch.. you, as a player, should know it. Be it RP purposes or combat or what. How is that not justification for seeing heavier items?

Assess -v amos
he is excellent
he is sweepy
he is ARMED

Too lazy to type maybe?

So why would someone living in a dangerous desert world not immediately notice those who are armed and those who aren't? Too stupid to make that distinction?

Look covers it all, assess covers it, heavy item code covers the rest. I've never even briefly wanted an 'armed' tag, mebbe I'm speculz

Protip: Everyone is armed.

I actually tend to be more scared of people that aren't holding weapons in scary places in the word. At least if they're holding a spear I only gotta worry about getting poked!

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on July 18, 2010, 10:40:03 PM
Look covers it all, assess covers it, heavy item code covers the rest. I've never even briefly wanted an 'armed' tag, mebbe I'm speculz

Protip: Everyone is armed.

I actually tend to be more scared of people that aren't holding weapons in scary places in the word. At least if they're holding a spear I only gotta worry about getting poked!

Yeah, the last thing you want is a dwarf coming at you barehanded.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Fuck's sake, is there seriously a discussion about this?

Use assess -v, goddamn. :/

The seeing the heavy item, is because being in inventory, there is no way to tell someone is carrying a couch around without a class-specific skill. Which is not as it should be. So something heavy enough in inventory shows up at a glance at the room, because that is the best solution currently implemented.

To see more than the vaguest impression of someone you need to at least glance at them. assess -v will give you whether they are armed and some other general traits. look will tell you if those are skin-colored tights or they're naked from the waist down. But there are ways to see these things without it cluttering up the room.

Personally I dislike look echoes, maybe a peek that didn't check into someone's inventory would be nice for a less-echoey look, with different fail message. But to, y'know, tell if they're armed, naked, masked, all that.