Consent Flag

Started by Pheonix, July 12, 2010, 11:35:38 PM

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 13, 2010, 10:21:00 PM
Quote from: Is Friday on July 13, 2010, 09:54:49 PM

Certain players garner more "trust" than others.

If that's not blatantly letting OOC factors affect IG actions, then I don't know what is.
Like it or not, it happens. Quite often, I might add.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Pheonix on July 12, 2010, 11:35:38 PM
What do players think about adding a 'change consent' flag, so we don't have to keep consenting for certain common (for you mudsexx0rs) scenes such as sexual or torture?

The default could be consent required for all, and the player can have the option of adding what they don't require consent on such as mild sexual/graphic torture emotes. Then, if someone wants to check for consent, they don't have to interupt the scene if unnecessary and just type 'consent' or something and it'll show what sorts of consent flags players in the room have.

Too complicated? Unnecessary? Thoughts?

I like.  +1
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

Yeah, I would never use this. Just sayin'. The thing about trusting the player is a key factor of why. I may not know that person from a hole in the wall OOCly, just like... well, most people on Arm that I play with. But if I'm comfortable with their playstyle, I'm more comfortable with content too. And consent is about the comfort level of a player, so it's not a ridiculous notion.

Consent isn't an IG action.

Quote from: Nyr on July 13, 2010, 09:59:46 PM
I don't foresee something like this getting put into the game.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Quote from: Is Friday on July 13, 2010, 09:54:49 PMCertain players garner more "trust" than others.

Also, I wonder if this consent flag would increase the amount of arranged rapes. Err... do people do that?
Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 13, 2010, 10:21:00 PMIf that's not blatantly letting OOC factors affect IG actions, then I don't know what is.
What Q said.

Also, seriously, you shouldn't know who is playing the character, so any claim that you trust the player more than another?  What?  What does TRUST have anything to do with your comfort level when playing out a scene.  THAT's what consent is for, not because you like another player more than another.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

You don't have to know who plays who to trust their player more than the average bear.

You people really strawman the shit out of anything, don't you?

Are you actually accusing me of a strawman?  Please tell me that you're not, though I could use the laugh if you are.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: AI Fashion and Swag on July 14, 2010, 06:16:43 AM
You don't have to know who plays who to trust their player more than the average bear.

Exactly.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

July 14, 2010, 08:02:50 AM #59 Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:05:02 AM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: Barzalene on July 14, 2010, 06:56:23 AM

Exactly.

Trust them to do what exactly?

I'm seriously not trolling or putting up a strawman or anything....

If you consent to rape or torture from certain character but wouldn't even consider doing it for other characters....

Are you trusting them to rape or torture you better or something?

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 13, 2010, 10:21:00 PM
Quote from: Is Friday on July 13, 2010, 09:54:49 PM

Certain players garner more "trust" than others.

If that's not blatantly letting OOC factors affect IG actions, then I don't know what is.

I would say that it's letting OOC factors affect an OOC action. Isn't consent always based on OOC factors?

Quote from: spawnloserWhat does TRUST have anything to do with your comfort level when playing out a scene[?]

Plenty. Why wouldn't it?
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

It's so much easier, and so much -less- "immerson-breaking" to just use the ooc command.

ooc Consent for torture/rape/
ooc Torture ok, rape no.
ooc No torture, sorry.

So you fade the torture and the rape never takes place. End of story.

Or..

ooc consent for torture/rape
assess joe
joe consents for rape and torture
assess sue
sue consents for torture but not rape

emote starts emoting about torture in graphic detail
ooc Hey I'm joe, I forgot to reset my flag. no torture!
ooc uh - well pretend you didn't just see all that.
ooc too late, I already saw it. asshole, you should've waited another 10 seconds!
ooc but the rules say you're supposed to have it already set. I shouldn't have to wait.
ooc blah blah blah an ooc discussion ensues about the proper ettiquette involved in setting consent flags.

Some people don't want to consent simply because they don't have the TIME to roleplay it all out. So some days they're be fine with RPing it out, but RL time constraints prohibit it this time around.

There are some characters I will never consent anything with, because I can't stand having to RP with those characters, and avoid them like the plague as it is. If I ever got stuck dealing with a torture/rape scene with them I'd ooc to them an tell them to just kill my character and pretend my character refused to cooperate.

I'd generally be okay with a FADED rape..and I would normally consent to a fade on it while not consenting to the details. I'd also consent to faded torture scenes with no detail. But some characters I just will absolutely not deal with, period.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 14, 2010, 08:02:50 AM
Quote from: Barzalene on July 14, 2010, 06:56:23 AM

Exactly.

Trust them to do what exactly?

I'm seriously not trolling or putting up a strawman or anything....

If you consent to rape or torture from certain character but wouldn't even consider doing it for other characters....

Are you trusting them to rape or torture you better or something?

Let me see if I can come up with a little explanation on how at least I agree that some people fit better and are 'trusted' more than another.

You're playing with this Amos character, and the rp is great between you. I'm not talking that you two get along, but just that the rp seems more intriguing to you as a player. Or just that there's a backstory and while you're rping through the story you're pretty confident Amos' character is going to take this in intriguing directions. Mind, that doesn't mean you two are going off to be best friends. He pulls the whole betrayal thing out and gets you while you're vulnerable, and when he asks for consent to torture/whatever you, you're all for it because it's the continuation of a long struggle between you, well played out.

As opposed to getting grabbed by that Malik that you've never seen before, or maybe you've only seen him a couple times in the local tavern and usually his play style kind of gets on your nerves. But he's got you fair and square. When he asks to consent, do you really want to play out something that might take you past your comfort zone or just you might find frustrating as a player?

When you're roleplaying this sort of stuff, it is all about player to player trust. Either there's some, and it's a good scene, or there isn't and you're just not comfortable.

But I think the whole issue is dead in the water, now.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Trust here means many things. To do it well, yes. Which to me means. Cognizance that there is a player n the other side of that PC. Which among other things means the pacing should be reasonable - not drawn out interminably, not so fast I can't react. But mostly I want to trust it's not gratuitous. What happens should result as a result of who and what both PCs are. I don't want to feel like it's so some sick fuck of a player can get his/her jollies.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

And what DS said, exactly.