Horribly confused

Started by 5 day lifespan, July 09, 2003, 10:28:32 PM

From the helpfiles:
Mercenaries, rough types known for their ability to hold their liquor, usually have some small skills which aid in their duties, including the ability to handle a mount and maintain their armor and make small knives useful in the tasks that they are hired for.

I direct you to the mount line.  The last time I played a mercenary, I jumped on a kank and I started riding immediately with no problem.  I was confused, but then I realised that Mercs can ride.  Now recently, I was taking a kank out for the first time with a new character, and, big shock, I couldnt ride.  So i emoted, someone taught me, i tried again, and again, a kank refuses to move.  So, I m afraid I did something abhorrent.  I spammed.  Not only did I spam, but I spammed like a FIEND.  To no avail.  Now, the last time I practiced riding, it took me several hours to get good, but usually it was 14 tries, move a room, 14 more ties, move another room.  At first, then I was doing handstands while doing drive by cross boltings of gith patrols.  Now this time I try, and I must have been working at it for half an hour and I didnt move ONE SINGLE ROOM.  With the number of times I typed that command in, statistically speaking, if my ride skill was at .01% I should have gone at least one room.  But I couldnt go ANYWHERE.
 Now, It was my understanding that you get a warning if you and your gear is too heavy for a kank, so I dont think it was that.  But jeez, how badly was the ride skill tweaked that mercs have to work that hard for no results?  Add to that, that I am a different race than I was the last time I played a merc.  Do some races have no ride skill?  But that cant be, because I have Ride on my list.  At this rate Ill have backstab before I get one room of movement on my ride, and Ill my class doesnt have that!

Perplexed
5DL
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

bad Luck maybe? I've had day old ranger chars that could take on two newb warriors and do pretty well. I've also had rangers that couldn't track. I think sometimes you just get unlucky.  8)

I had just made a character the day before the big war HRPT, and I had this problem, making it extremely difficult to well, you know, move down Caravan road, let alone join up with the army. I wished up, turns out it was a bug, and was promptly fixed. It was a warrior/caravan guide, so should've been able to ride. I'd throw it in my objective, and perhaps wish up once. Actually, scratch that, e-mail the MUD, put it in your objective, -then- wish.

Well one of my characters had to practice a good two days of being logged in before the ride skill kicked in at all. That was one who didn't have ride on her skills list. And yeah I spammed like crazy the second day, after emoting my attempts on the first day resulted in nothing but bleary eyes.

It -did- kick in eventually though, so don't give up.

Is your character a subguild of mercenary? If so, it's a bug. I had the same thing with my current character... Just change your objective, email, all that stuff, and an Imm should help you out.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Gah, that ugly bug rears its head again.  It is a known bug that seems to pop up every now and then.  Just throw in your objective you have the merc riding bug and someone will fix you up.

Is this include of the odd bugs that tweak things in character creation that I've heard mention from time to time?

Never seen it myself... But I know I've had rangers non-mercs that just take forever before ride really gets going good and then have a warrior that hops on a kank and has no problems from the get go... SHRUG.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Actually, as Sanvaen explained it to me, the bug is such that if you edit your character during the character creation process and change your guild/subguild, you can start the game with none of your subguild skills.  This is easily fixed, however.  Just do what everyone else above has already suggested.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Actually, as Sanvaen explained it to me, the bug is such that if you edit your character during the character creation process and change your guild/subguild, you can start the game with none of your subguild skills.  This is easily fixed, however.  Just do what everyone else above has already suggested.
Note.

Just to be clear (if it wasn't already). There are two different bugs mentioned here. One is as explained by spawnloser, where you may end up with none of your subclass skills. The other is when you have chosen a subguild with the ride skill, which may have the effect of setting it to zero (or something very low).

Yo,

- - Well, assuming it is not a bug, here are two funfacts. First, you mentioned you were another race. If you're an elf, odds are that has a serious impact on your riding skill. The reason's in the helpfile.

- - Second, as to your character's weight, the best way to tell if you weigh too much for you mount is to try packing it. Remove your backpack (if you have one), mount your mount, and type pack backpack. If it tells you that your mount cannot carry that much weight, odds are you're one heavy mo' fo'.

- - Remember, mounts in Arm are fairly realistic. The more weight you put on them, the harder it is to get them to move.
quote]>rant status
You are currently ranting.

>rant off
You shut your damn mouth.[/quote]

"Always remember: An elf in need is a thief indeed."

~His Divine Sancho