How did you start playing Armageddon?

Started by Sephiroto, July 09, 2003, 02:16:29 PM

Back in ninth grade....I overhead two guys that I didn't know very well (at the time) at my school talking about it.  I was slightly interested and I asked them about it.  From that stemmed my 3-4 years of experience, countless friends, and lots of fun.  I'm thankful in sorts that I took that class and sat where I did, for without it I'd likely never have found out about this great game.

God bless America and Armageddon MUD
Amen.

heard about it through another mud...how did I come to muds...err. I should know this. :x
Veteran Newbie

I had played yahoo RPGs with Creeper when he told me about this mud (and what a mud was) and it took me a few weeks to decide to make up a character.   Anyone who knows how computer/game challenged I am can understand how helpful Creeper was when I made up my first character and those first few days of RPG.  :lol:
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I will re-post this for you Sephiroto, I think your story is pretty cool as well.

I was 24 when I started. My boyfriend turned me on to Arm and I have been plagued by its addictive quality for one year now.

One night at home 11pm..

S- What are you doing?
J- I'll come to bed in a minute...
S- I can't sleep with all that typing. You do this almost
every night, its late..
J- Hold on, I can't quit right now..
S- Why?
J- I'm being tracked by a scrab and I have to find the city...
S-Are you playing Dungeons and Dragons?
J- No!
S-You nerd..
J- Look, I have to concentrate, I'll come to bed in a minute..(10 minutes later, with a sigh.) Finally.. Thank god!
S-What happened?
J- I made it back...
S-What's a Scrab?..

One year later 12:30am.. In game Just before Dawn..

S-Alright, I'll go and fill up our water skins while you get our Kanks. Meet me at the gates..
J- Right, sounds good.
S-(Think) I think we could take on a Raptor today, the skins go for a good price, maybe I can get the skull out of one....
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I was brought to the mud by a woman I was playing with on HL. I absolutely LOATHED ARM that first experience. The clan I was brought into was a very very isolated clan and no one played during est times but all played late at night. Coming from a social type mud, it drove me batty and though I am, now, ashamed to admit it, I let my pc die by going linkdead on the others while out in the desert.  I had planned to never play again.

A few weeks later another friend from HL asked me to give it a try and to join BW with him. That clan is what drew me into ARM. The richly documented history, the personalities of elves, all of it, I fell in love with ARM. Even though my first BW pc died in 2hrs following Halaster's pc into things. *chuckles*  Halaster has been indirectly or directly involved with about 6 of my pcs' deaths in a row after that one. I swear he jinxed me!! *pokes Craig*  All he had to do was walk by my pc with his d-elf and within a RL day my pc died. I have been hooked ever since. To this day, d-elf is my favorite type of pc to play. I adore them.
color=violet]If life was like a box of chocolates we would spend all day inside being poked and eaten.[/color]

I think one the reasons I love this game are the mistakes. The first time I saw this I knew I was here to stay.

The Cross-looking Templar says "Bow when you see a templar fool!"

emote bow ~cross

The gaunt elf bows to the cross-eyed half-giant

You Think "crud"  :oops:

Of course theres always the Imms here who are fantastical at everything. Including colorful emotes.

Eyes squinting breifly, The NPC man lets out a low rumble from his pants and flashes you a yellow toothed smile   :shock:

And finally,  I started because my friend was constantly running away from something whenever I went to his house.

L: Ohhh god... not a silt flyer

D: What did you just say?

*** awkward silence and fast typing ***

L: If my Whiran dies I'll be pissed off

D: Whiran?? What the....  you on crack man?

L: No, took a knot of spice tho

D: Hunh?
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I've been a mudder for many years...a friend who was also a mudder told me about Armageddon several times over the last couple years and about how awesome it was, but finally about 6 months ago, I hopped on.  I thought it was going to be a long involved process, from what he said, but I was mudding within a day.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it wasn't nearly as harsh as I was expecting.

[Edit] Not to say that it isn't harsh, but from how he said it, I expected so much worse.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

On one boring March weekend of last year, I ran a search on the internet looking for 'free RPGs'. I came upon a small website, that listed numerous games, which it called 'MUDs'. I had no idea what a MUD was at the time, but figured I'd try one out. I played a game that was based off of the Dragonlance series, which I had recently finished reading. I got my character approved, (They actually had fairly high standards regarding RP, and a similar application process... All the other MUDs I've looked at since that game and Armageddon were no where close to even trying to enforce RP... At least this one tried). Anyways, I got my character approved, and entered a world with a whopping 4 PCs online. There were more Imms on then PCs, and within an hour of playing, Imms were already pestering me, asking if I wanted a title like "Bob the Magnificient" or "Bob the Unholy". I quickly left... It was no fun walking through a ghost town, inhabited only by over-zealous Imms. But I decided that there was some merit to these MUD things...
Anyways, I went back to the site that referred me to the Dragonlance game. I clicked through some more, but didn't sign up to join any. Eventually I came across one called 'Armageddon'. I decided to give it a shot, despite it's cheesy title. And, well... The rest is history. :D
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Got irritated with another mud and quit playing.  Another ex-player of that mud suggested this one.  So here I be.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

After three years IMMing and playing on a pay-for-play, I got burnt out and fired as an IMM for blowing up at their head coder, and accused by their Admin of intentionally abusing a bug I didn't know existed all in the same week.

I started looking for something else, and was told by a player of the other game that another two players were in Arm. I spoke at length with one of them, checked out the website, and showed up with my first character. The first person I talked with about the game, I never met in Arm with HER character, and she stopped playing within days of my starting, due to lack of time to invest.  The other one still plays.

I was briefly talking to a friend's boyfriend (Who I thought was a complete and utter idiot, but I was polite and didn't say anything) who MUDed. He brought up Arm and told me to give it a try. So I headed to the site and gave the docs a quick skim, figuring the best way to learn is to get in there head first. I made an app and fired up my first PC.

I started out in Allanak as per the friend's boyfriend's recommendation. I hung out in the Gaj for about ten minutes. I couldn't tell the difference between PCs and NPCs for a while, so I figured I'd go and explore the city. I go around and all of a sudden I'm subdued by something called a "mul". 'What the fuck's a mul and why's he copping a feel?' I asked myself. For a while I thought mul was a mispelling of 'mule' and was pretty pissed off that I was grabbed by one. He says something (with a player-added accent) about wandering onto house ground. I manage to get a look at this mule so I can try to figure out what the hell's going on. Since there's so much action, I give a quick skim over the desc. I see 'bulging' in the desc and something about hairless. I quickly looked at the site and suddenly got the idea of being held by a sort of blob-like thing.

As all of this is happening, he's bringing me to someone and they're trying to figure out what to do with me. Frankly, I had no idea where I was or what I did. As I look back now I remember being somewhere near the Barrel. This mul brought me to some guy and they were trying to figure out what to do with me, then decided to kill me. The mul takes me somewhere nearby (A couple rooms distance) and emotes raising his sword and so on. This whole time I'm trying to flee or get away and emoting. Then, like a sledgehammer hitting me in the back of my head, it came. It was as if a voice asked: 'What would Jesus do?'. Then it hit me: KICK THAT SON OF A BITCH IN HIS BALLS!

So I emote trying to kick the guy in the testicles. I hit home and he released me and I ran away. I can't remember who it was I said it to but it was something along the lines of, 'DUDE! This MUD freakin' rules!'. And I was hooked.

If anyone was that mul or if it was an imm from two or threeish years ago, I'd just like to say thanks. I don't know if muls can feel pain when kicked in the nuts or anything, but the fact that you actually let me get out of that situation rather than instakill me and steal my newbie money means a lot to me. You were the one who got me hooked on the rollercoaster of excitement that is Arm.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I'd been playing a hack-and-slash mud for several years, and was starting to get bored with it. A friend on that mud suggested Armageddon, and being a table top gamer, I was interested as soon as I heard about the enforced RP and permanent death. Decided to jump in with both feet. Kept things simple at first, made myself a human warrior. Started in 'Nak as well, as back in 94 or so I think it was suggested as the hot spot. I wandered aimlessly through the city a while, trying to get a feel for things. Well, I don't believe I ever made it to reading about templars anywhere in the docs, and coming from a hack and slash mud didn't really think too much about wandering around town with swords blazing. I was quickly approached by a templar and ordered sheath my blades...not really knowing what the hell was going on, I don't think I complied quick enough for the templar, who ordered one of his massive half-giant soldiers to subdue me, so he could scold me proper. Well, all sorts of profanity started flowing from my character's mouth, including calling the templar a bastard, I believe. *beep* I soon found myself at the character creation process again, thinking that the brief 4 or 5 hours of my first char's life was more fun than I'd ever had playing my old hack-and-slash mud in the past several years. I've been hooked ever since.

Well, I can't say it was the RP that drew me, cause well, there was none, Well, very little, oh, we tried, all 2-10 of us. I started very soon after Arm opened, (I've posted all of this before) Half-giant stone cleric, I had been playing perilouse realms when somebody came there and was talking about the new darksun mud, liking darksun tabletop I went to give it a try, I would not have stayed to tell you the truth, nobody on, only 3 cities, horrible lag, but the spell system, now that was completly new, and being the type that enjoys a challange, I stayed for quite some time, after about 2 years I left for a while, came back a few more times, but never had the time in my life to stay playing long, then came back again a couple years ago after a 4 year absence, and was happily suprised by the -new- mud I found waiting for me.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I had been playing Merentha (which was my first mud) for a week when I realised I wasn't roleplaying I was just being a H&Ser. So I stopped and went  looking for a real roleplaying mud and came across Threshold. I read all the docs and nearly made a character before Aristotle's tone put me off. Then I cam across the next Roleplaying Required MUD on TMS which was this one :D

I was bullied to put in an app for a few months by Brian, I finally did it and have been hooked ever since. We used to play Carrion Fields before he discovered Arm. There were about 8 of us, I am not sure who's left from the group on here, but I know we all got hooked. Hey (Sam, Pat, Lance, Vance, Clif) speak up if you still play Arm....

I started out mudding when I got into university about four years ago. My first MUD was NannyMUD, then being a WoT fan, I went to AWW. They do rp there, but getting tired of the hackin' and slashin', I thought I would try a new MUD.

I encountered Aarinfel and got hooked on RP-enforced and levelless MUDding. I then saw Armageddon's advertising and tried it out. I was used to submitting character apps because of Aarinfel.

I now play most regularly on Arm and semi-regularly on two other RPIs. After doing RPI MUDs, there's just no competition.
laloc may be permadorked, but I am the Permadork!

A good friend of mine brought me into this mud.  I was so thrilled hearing about his advetures, so I decided to create a character.

His name was 'Gun' (it was years ago) he was a Whiran...  I still remember my first guardian at mon  :D LOTS of people died that day... LOTS of fun  :)

I was the evil sprite in a powerplay MUD. Just liked to RP, RP much more than that MUD required. So visited the site, "mudlist", searched the RP MUDs. Tried two of them in which I had to kill mice or goblins at start in academy :) like powerplay MUDs. Then visited the ARM...
My first char was denied (a metal forger dwarf with beard  :lol: ) then I started reading the documents. Reading all took nearly about a day.
Then of course, died in about three hours.
Now I'm addicted...
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

A guy I used to MUD with and tried to help co-create a MUD named Nepenthe got me into Arm. I don't think he ever picked it up though.

I was in my computer class one day, bored out of my mind. (Today we learn how to use Yahoo! search engine!) I was putting in random .com, .net, .org names, like monkeys.net, bottle.com etc. etc.. and the night before, I had watched the movie Armageddon, so I threw in Armageddon.com, Armageddon.net, Armageddon.org. I noticed on the org that it said something about a MUD, and noted it for later.

I had already started playing MUDs maybe a year before, started on this three player MUD Nightmare that this guy ran on his home network, it was just stock CircleMUD. After that, I shopped around a bit, went to Prophecy, and a few other ROMs, back around a couple more CircleMUDs, then finally stopped at Aaezure Oddysey for a while.

Then, I went back to the Armageddon site, submitted a character (Without reading many of the docs, so my description included things like reference to Italy, and the background included something about school, and friends (Friends on Zalanthas?!)) and got promptly shut down and told to read the docs. I tried again, got accepted, then got lost on the Sandstone road north of the Sanctuary in the Northlands at the time. The first character I met showed me around a bit (I ran into her characters a few times later in life, or with other characters) and left me stuck in Freil's, without me knowing to 'leave'. So I got bored of walking around, and ran out of money, so I killed two NPCs, the lady with the axe and the wood, and the old lady with the broom. And I definitely pulled a hack-n-slash 'FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT;flee;w;sleep;.....;wake;e;kill woman'

I was a shitty newbie D:

I played MUDs a bit a long time ago.  This is actually the first mud that I've played for more than a few weeks.
Anyway, I got bored one day, and decided to try out mudding again.  I went to the good ol' TMS, clicked through the top ten (pay-per-play? crap.  No half-elves?  crap.  No roleplay? crap.)  Eventually, I randomly clicked on Armageddon.  I enjoyed the fact that there was so much documentation.  I read it for an hour or two (Mutations are commonplace?  Righteous!) and then submitted one of the most bizarre applications I have ever seen accepted.  Unfortunately for everyone who came into contact with me, there wasn't alot that was actually against the rules, and so one or two edits later, I made it into the game.  I'm just glad that I included the fact that my character had no jaw, or the player base would have been exposed to the worst newb-speak since Grunt.
In my first play session, I went to the bazaar and bought something called a 'kank'.  I then tried to make it attack a templar.  No dice.
After quickly walking through a shop and losing my new friend, a friendly immortal showed up and helped guide me around as a prostitute, a templar, and a few urchins.  After being arrested for backstabbing a beggar, I was released, then wandered around town typing 'quit' randomly.  I eventually found the temple of Suk Krath, which became my home for the remainder of my character's life.
The next day, I logged on again and found my way to the 'rinth where I was briefly chased around by a magicker.  I then met a small band of friendly dwarves, and the rest is another story.

Sheez, since back in 1990 I think it was.  A friend of mine was playing a defiler so I got in on the bandwagon.  The best rp I ever had was when a bad whiran teleported me to mantis city and I had to rp with a pc mantis player with the language barrier.

Took a break for a while and whack.  Guess what?   Karma and applications.  Oh well, at least I was on the original run in the times when you could have infinite cash.   Lol

-Ty

I remember it pretty well.....
I was with my brother in our computer room, a few years back...

Me- Why are you playing that, we have cool games like Warcraft why dont you play that.
Bro- Shush, I'm consintrating.
(I sit down next to him and watch him play, reading and start to thinking how fun it looked)
M-Where did you get that?
B- Go to Armageddon, its on a website.
(turn to my comp and start typing in the address)
M-It won't work, this isn't the right site.
B-Because you are at Armageddon.com, its a .org
(I get into the site.)
B-You might want to read some of that stuff before you play
M-I think I'll be fine
(I wait a day, to get my character)
(I start playing, my brothers with me, Im asking him what the commands are, and such.)
(My Mom comes down the stairs)
Mom-Go get to bed, it's 1:00
Me- Whoa, I stayed up that late, K, I'm comming.
(A few more hours pass)
b-Didn't mom tell you to go to bed?
M- Oh ya, let me just quit.

Only, back then, My char got lost out in the desert, I have a sword, and I have some pants, No shirt, no water, no Food.... Yeah, that's the good times, tryin to find food in the  middle of the desert.
I think I was a burgler acrobat, and I climed the allanak wall, where I feel on the outside, and didn't know what I was doing, so I walked into the desert, then had to dump some things because it was too heavy. I'm suprised I didn't get kill by a Scrab or some wimpy creature, I was dwindleing out on life.

Wow, lemme see if I can remember that far back.. when I was sixteen or seventeen I used to play on some wheel of time hack and slash muds... first the Great Hunt, then Sanctuary, and when it died, the Great Hunt again briefly, but was finally getting tired of hack and slash. I found a MOO I think it was that was completely RP called AngrealMoo or something of the like, and it was, of course, based on the Wheel of Time, and was indeed completely RP. As in, there was almost no coded assistance; even in fighting. It was all just RPed out. I enjoyed the MOO for a while, but I wanted something with a little coded help to assist as well. I think I just began searching the internet or something (it's been about eight-ten years I guess, my memory is failing me), and I remember finding information about Armageddon and reading about how if you died, it was permanent. I thought that was a great idea, and more realistic, so I applied for a character. It seems like my first few tries were rejected, but I can't remember.. I think it was a later character that was rejected for having 'icy blue eyes' with the response: "There is no ice on Zalanthas". Anyway, despite leaving every once in a while for a year or two, I've always come back for more!

Gawynn
Ladies and gents, we're still alive
By the skin of our teeth, now it's killing time
Angel in our pocket, devil by our side
We ain't going nowhere, cuz' heroes never die!"

Blood of Heroes - Megadeth

I first heard of Armageddon because I'm a cheap bastard and I live in Ottawa. That should make sense to a few people at least. We have a free internet provider run by one of the universities here, called Freenet. For the longest time there were only three muds you could connect to using Freenet, one of them was Armageddon. I was roughly 12 when I first saw it and could never connect properly. I just kept getting a create a character first message but never an option to create one. I played MooseHeadSLED and The Great Hunt.. Tried Armageddon again and tried to make a mantis (pre-karma) with a human's description. I got rejected and quit because I didn't know what any of the damn stuff looked like and for all I knew humans had horns.

Years later, I was just turning 18 I tried Armageddon again and it worked. Horray.

I started playing muds when I was in university. First mud I ever played was a hack 'n' slash called Darkness and Despair. After finding the Mud Connector I came across a glowing staff review of Threshold. Gave that a whirl and ended up staying for two years. Eventually tired of the, ahem,  RP there and went in search of something more intensive and realistic. Mud Connector threw up the Armageddon web page along with some other RP-enforced muds. At first I kinda breezed past the name Armageddon for some reason but eventually read the reviews and read some more reviews on TMS. Sounded good so I read the docs and thought it really sounded good. Made a char - an sneaky char with the word "wiry" in his sdesc but of course - logged in and quickly got introduced to all the pleasantries the 'rinth has to offer.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

In 1995 I briefly flirted with some WoD MUSHes, but then got shot down; apparently the university I was at didn't approve of computer resources being wasted playing games.  So I had to wait a couple years for commercial internet access to become available in my small mountain town.  The first RP MUD I tried was Threshold, back in 97 or 98.  At first it was free, then after a while they introduced a donation system, and since a new server -was- needed (crashes o plenty) this made sense.  After enough money to buy the new server was raised the donation system didn't go away, but became the registration system, with a $50 US minimum.  The new server deserved a faster internet connection which had a higher monthly price tag, I got it, but the culture of the game became too focused on money for my tastes.  

So, still playing Threshold, I started looking around for a RP game as good as Threshold but where money wouldn't be as much of an issue.  Sometimes I'd try 10-20 games in a single day, so it didn't take much to turn me off a game, eventually just landing in Midgard was enough for me to quit and move on to the next MUD.  I submitted a character for Armageddon, but when the approval came a week later I had alreadly lost interest, I really wasn't that crazy about a desert theme.  MUSHes were too hard to break into, supposed RP muds had people rounding up newbies to haul along on quests because they got more XP that way, no people at all, or chatting endlessly on channels (I especially hate the "gratz" channel where people congratulate eachother for raising a level, and some people use stupid automated triggers to do it, making the gratz even less sincere).

Eventually I came accross Armageddon again, a year or two after the first time I tried to create a character here, I think it was a post by CRW in the alt.mud.* newsgroups asking about other permadeath muds that sparked my interest again.  This time my character was approved in under 24 hours, yay!  I'm still not crazy about the desert theme, I prefer my post-apocolyptic landscapes to be frozen rather than baked, but the theme was worth putting up with for a good permadeath RP game that didn't contantly pester me for money or mix up IC and OOC elements.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

My road to ruin had a lot of twists and turns. It started out with the game "The Sims". Yeah, you know the one.

See, five years ago I had never even been on the internet. I grew up in the stone age before it grew into place, and I had little access to a computer after it bloomed. I managed at last to get the computer I still use today (433 mhz, but hey, it gets me here) about four years ago.

Then I discovered The Sims. It was cool, mainly just playing virtual dollhouse. But you could get things off the net to add to it, and so I began to train as a netsurf ninja. While surfing, I typed 'sims' and found a strange thing. Sim Star Trek games, where people roleplayed being in the ST or ST: TNG universe once a week on irc.

I tried it and -loved- it. Couldn't get enough rp. But they met only once a week, only for an hour or two. So my wanderings took me to msn chat rooms, of all places. There are some where people role play all kinds of things. I was there quite some time, where I learned a lot, mainly about who you don't want to roleplay with. (powerplayers, griefers, hackers, etc).

Someone in one of the rooms told me about muds. Seemed strange, but I began to look into them. I don't even remember the first one I tried, as there were bunches. I blush when I remember the large amounts of money I spent on Elysium and Threshhold (driven off by probably the same things others were, but this isn't the place for that). Finally, mud after mud later, I found Armageddon in The MudConnector listings. RPI, no levels...what's this permadeath?

Applied, got rejected, reapplied, tried it. And didn't like it at first. I quit playing for like a few days. Then out of boredom tried it again, and got my pc killed. Applied for a second, this time starting in Allanak. And thanks to a certain Borsail Noble, I got hooked.

So here I am. It's been great!
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

I was born here.

At least, that's the way it feels... everything else is superfluous
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I started on Arm back in '95 per the recommendation of the BBS ISCA Mudding forum (remember that?). It took me quite some time to get the application process down. Naturally, my first character was a beautiful assassin. Thinking I was on some other regular MUD I was walking around with my kewl daggers out, when I walked into this tavern called "Trader's" something or other.
Naturally, when I walked in with my daggers out, everybody else pulled their weapons out. To which I replied, "Can someone tell me where the assassin's guild is?" Of course everyone knew I was a newb by then. Two guys took me under their wing. They taught me "NO, you do NOT walk around saying you're an assassin." and that there was an organization that was what up my alley.

From then on I became a guild member. I met a couple of great characters, then something happend. The guild playerbase dwindled and I got dumb and bored, thought I was good, and left the city with a half giant(yeah I know). He took me all the way up to Tuluk. In Tuluk I met up with a couple of people and thought I could be a hunter. *beeeep*

After that pesky Erdlu killed me. I became a water cleric. I think this was before the karma system was implemented. I was swept away from Allanak by some roving band of bandits or rebels to dish out water. That was really fun. I was about as clueless as my character. I don't even remember the name of the group. Their save positions kept moving around, and boom, one day I woke up in the desert alone. Someone contacted me by the way and found me, they had to quit out and told me if I wanted to risk getting to the new camp, the directions were XYZ. I risked it and out came a Mek. *beeeeep*

Since then, I've played warriors with the byn, house guards, nobles, I don't think I did a templar or merchant yet. Heck, I even played a noble without IMM support. That took a lot out of me, and I got a little burnt, especially--well that's a long story.

While, I've become slightly more partial to MUSHing, I still keep a character on Arm, and log on everyonce in a while. Maybe one day I'll app a desert elf or something one of these days. But the love is always there.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"
. . .I think it was a post by CRW in the alt.mud.* newsgroups asking about
other permadeath muds that sparked my interest again.

That very same thread inspired me to have a look at Arm.  I read the
docs and gdb archives religiously over a week, then submitted the
recommended human warrior.  Unable to see the wood for the trees, I
didn't include eye colour in his description, on the basis that he would have
his eyes closed sometimes...  Yes, I know.

One rejection later, I started playing, joined the Byn in short order and
died after about a RL week.  By this time I thought I was ready for
anything and made a sneaky character who, surely, would destroy
the 'Naki nobility.  He didn't.  But I'd had another great idea...

Over two years and many more brain farts later, I'm still playing on and
off.   And it's all CRW's fault!

The old days at Uni were cool. Twelve hours of class time a week, chilling in the Caf', and all of us (studying Comp. Sci) trying to find things to do with a few 386 and 486 pc's, and a whole bunch of SunOS sparc workstations. After heaps of trial and error, I finally managed to get moria to compile on the Sun boxes. It was ugly as the makefile had the incorrect configuration, and I'd never used/seen makefiles before. The old moria caretaker told me he'd fix it for the next release, but I'm not sure there's been one yet, and that was some years ago.

But moria got a little old, you get all downhearted when you loose a long-lived character, much like you do in Arm. So one day, a friend at Uni mentions this here mud. I've heard of MUD's of course, but it didn't sound like the best RP experience, if I'm just gonna go round collecting items and beating up things, I might as well play moria. But I give it a go anyhow, and a group of us all submit characters, rogue-type youths, all from the same street gang.

Of course, we've got no idea what we're doing, so the four of us just wander around the Rinth' exploring. One guy is in the lead, and he steps through a doorway guarded by some form of magic, which busted him right up I imagine. I know this because along with the other two chars, I of course was following him, and got chewed up myself. It all ended with two of us getting caught, and promptly killed by a magicker (the other two got away).

The other player whose char was killed, complained to the mud about the lack of RP and reasoning by the magicker, in hunting down a group of newbies. This was my first experience of dealing with an IMM, who promptly tracked down the magicker, and forwarded on an explanation from him. I didn't expect it, I didn't require it, but it was nice to know that someone cared enough about the death of some newbies to even investigate.

Thanks for all the little things.

Grin, I remember moria, played that for a while, Course at the time....well, lets just say it was interesting trying to keep an account on the university's VAX when you were not a student. I love VMS.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "X-D"Grin, I remember moria, played that for a while, Course at the time....well, lets just say it was interesting trying to keep an account on the university's VAX when you were not a student. I love VMS.
Wow!  You didn't go to school at Winona State in Minnesota did you?  They had/have the VAX/VMS system too.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

No, as I said, I did -not- go to school there :twisted:  So, I am not going to say which it was, and this was around, 1988 or 1989 at the latest, but maybe earlier, and MORIA was pretty much the closest thing to a mud that existed...no WWW either and for the most part you had to either be a student to get on the net (telnet/gopher) or do as I did. Hhhmmm, the very first mud I played was called Epic, it was diku I think, then PR then here.
Lizzie:

say (throwing back another shot) What you mean this a game?
:gives ~you a skeptical look.
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]