Riding

Started by Irathu, June 13, 2010, 05:07:56 PM

I was considering a few in-game ideas and was looking to get a little more information before I get into the ideas really heavily, so if you could help me it would be greatly appreciated:

Heres my question(s):
What kind of tack is out there for riding, I dont mean actually in game coded objects, but what virtual ideas is someone expected to own when owning a mount? Is it when you buy a mount it is completely tacked out, with halter, saddle, and reins, or are these things that one would have to aquire all be it virtually, or do most just ride with a halter and reins and go bareback?

Also a side question/idea, would it be possible to someday code in actual tack that perhaps would improve, or make it easier to ride said mount. Or do these items already exist and I just do not know about them.

Just a thought.
Quote from: muckguppy on April 12, 2013, 12:03:35 PM
I don't always play muds, but when I do.. it's something ridiculously opaque and has the learning curve of a chinese instrument from 600 BC.

war beetles are described as having a ridiculously small saddle on them via their desc.

I also RP reins. When riding with two weapons out I RP using my hips.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on June 13, 2010, 05:22:28 PM
war beetles are described as having a ridiculously small saddle on them via their desc.

When I ride with two weapons, I RP using my TEETH.

I've always assumed that bought mounts are fitted with all necessary equipment.

There is also a decent variety of coded tack available, although all but one Item that I can think of you must find the appropriately-clanned PCs from which to request it.

It is an area of the game that I would love to see better fleshed out, and I would be more than willing to help with the writing end of thing if there is a staffer or two that wanted to take on such a project.  *nudge nudge*

PS- Wild mounts I usually Rp fashioning a bridle from whatever rope I have handy (what ranger doesn't carry around at least one length of rope).
For saddle, I usually RP using a rug as padding.  It would be awesome if all the rug objects IG were packable like the saddles :D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I more or less do the same thing Fantasy, and thanks, I might perhaps try to dig up some of those said items, just to try and get them more well known throughout the game, I would love to see cheap bridles and perhaps saddle blankets and what not available and would be willing to help as well in the writing of them. This has always been something that I wondered about, and would love to see more of, even the occasional barding item to be found throughout the cities allbeit expensive since it would have to be so large. Anyways the cut it short, if anyone would want to collaborate on a project such as this I would be more than willing to help out and see what we can get going.
I don't always play muds, but when I do.. it's something ridiculously opaque and has the learning curve of a chinese instrument from 600 BC.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Bleah. Other than stuff you wear, I'd like to see less maintenance on mounts :)
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on June 13, 2010, 08:02:56 PM

>pack blanket (flattening it out just behind ^inix front shoulders)
Flattening it out just behind its front shoulders, you pack your comfortably-padded saddle blanket on an young, wild inix's back.

>l inix
.....Generic wild inix desc.....

He is carrying:
A comfortably-padded saddle blanket.

That's not exactly high maintenance. ;)
Grebber - One who grebs.

I believe, according to the old Dark Sun stuff, that insect mounts were guided with some sort of long stick used to tap their antennae.

I like RP'ing reins as well, but the idea of a bridle and reins on a car-sized insect with an immobile head always struck me as a little absurd.

Quote from: Old Kank on June 13, 2010, 10:31:56 PM

I believe, according to the old Dark Sun stuff, that insect mounts were guided with some sort of long stick used to tap their antennae.

I like RP'ing reins as well, but the idea of a bridle and reins on a car-sized insect with an immobile head always struck me as a little absurd.

Awesome.  Done.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Good point Old Kank, maybe that would be an interesting item to add to the game, perhaps soemthing that adds to your ride much like other items, but only to replace the typical bridle and reins that would be used for other mounts, if you get my meaning. In the meantime, that is a great idea and I will start using it. Thanks.

I haven't been able to find an official source for it, but there's plenty of online fiction referring to the antenna-tapping stick as a "kank prod".

Heh I usually use sunbacks or inix which is why I can do the reins thing. I can see how it wouldn't work on beetles though.

Heresy.  We can't have cowboys without mount maintenance.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 14, 2010, 10:42:33 AM

Haha, I can see the point of not having to maintain a mount, but I would like to see it much like other parts of the game that would allow a player to add more to the RP without having to use alot of virtual props, as well I believe it would help NOOBs if there was a bit more gear out there to help riding. Not saying make it to where a NOOB char can ride like a master from the start with the right gear, but just some stuff to help them out, as well I would love to see more players helping out with the riding instead of chars just having to get a mount and ride circles around the city until they get good enough to go out with their unit. Just something that I have noticed over the years that hasnt seen any real touches added to it, of course I understand the Imms have alot on their plate, but its just a thought.

June 14, 2010, 06:17:56 PM #16 Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 10:47:16 PM by janeshephard
If you're going to add gear please make it a thumper and grappling hooks you can take to the salt flats!

LET SHAI'HULUD JUDGE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld2DMsyy0go

Hahah, you know, I was thinking about a few things today, and decided that it might be a good idea also to have a few rp pieces of equipment that would be used to help with mekillots and what not, i mean they use them for draft animals, so why wouldnt there be specially designed pieces of equipment to help with that.

Quote from: janeshephard on June 14, 2010, 06:17:56 PM
If you're going to add gear please make it a thumper and grappling hooks you can take to the salt flats!

LET SHAI'HULUD JUDGE.

lol. I've always wanted to >mount saltworm
Grebber - One who grebs.

I backstabbed a saltworm.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I want to attach ldesc to my hitched mount.

It would be awesomeif you could try to ride a Met or Mek.

Maybe starship trooper kill it.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Synthesis on June 14, 2010, 11:24:23 PM

Welcome to the club. Its name is Awesome Club.

Quote from: jstorrie on August 10, 2010, 07:50:30 PM

Only counts if it doesn't swiftly devour you afterward.

Quote from: Fredd on August 10, 2010, 03:17:42 PM
It would be awesomeif you could try to ride a Met or Mek.

Maybe starship trooper kill it.

Since when can't you?

(time to start scouring the wastes)
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 14, 2010, 10:42:33 AM

Is that how the kanks died out? KIV?  :D

I do think being able to break some, not all, wild creatures would be pretty awesome, though!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Plenty of wild creatures can be tamed.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: MeTekillot on August 10, 2010, 08:05:44 PM
Quote from: jstorrie on August 10, 2010, 07:50:30 PM

Only counts if it doesn't swiftly devour you afterward.

In my defense, I think it was the other worm in the room that devoured me.

Before joining Awesome Club, >scan on.