some of my posts are serious stuff

Join a merchant house.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Quote from: ianmartin on April 14, 2010, 04:49:40 PM
When?

Your apartment's fine anyway.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Heh, every tribal camp I've ever been in should qualify as a warehouse.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on April 14, 2010, 05:32:42 PM
Heh, every tribal camp I've ever been in should qualify as a warehouse.

Humm.... How do I say this? Find out IC?
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

...we -should- be able to keep tons of crap in our apartments. That's what floors and spaces under beds are for.

April 14, 2010, 06:04:14 PM #10 Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:16:16 PM by Salt Merchant
When will we be allowed to rent warehouses?

Allanak is full of abandoned buildings along Merchant's Road, for instance. It shouldn't be any problem to arrange to rent a warehouse there, in principle.

I don't think "Join a Merchant House" is a sufficient answer, ICly speaking.
Lunch makes me happy.

Anyone who thinks apartments are not warehouses has never lived in a small apartment with two boys and all their toys/junk.

Their room includes a pair of bunk beds, two dressers, a bookcase, seven 6.5 in. deep by 10.5 wide tubs full of assorted leggos, two larger tubs full of toys, the apartment-sized washer/dryer. And this is not a large bedroom. I'd take a picture but the leggos have escaped containment and are all over the floor currently.

Frankly I don't see why people can't keep things in their apartments in game. I think that perhaps it's a bid to make more people join merchant houses instead of crafting from their homes.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

April 14, 2010, 06:30:14 PM #12 Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:38:13 PM by Myrdryn
Quote from: Salt Merchant on April 14, 2010, 06:04:14 PM
When will we be allowed to rent warehouses?

Allanak is full of abandoned buildings along Merchant's Road, for instance. It shouldn't be any problem to arrange to rent a warehouse there, in principle.

I don't think "Join a Merchant House" is a sufficient answer, ICly speaking.

People are allowed to do this kind of thing now.  It just isn't commonplace and/or easy.  The problem is finding someone with access to a warehouse willing to rent it.  OOCly this requires selling your idea to a PC with power and/or a staff member that's willing to support your idea.  If there aren't PCs that have the ability to help provide something like this, there's always emailing the staff to try to set something up.

It's happened in the past where a person or small group has approached a noble or templar and reached some sort of arrangement where they were given access to some piece of real estate.  But this kind of thing always falls under the purview of a staff member or two.

However if you're talking about some automated system like renting apartments, where anyone with the coins on hand can rent one, it won't happen.

<edited for grammer/to make sense>
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

Quote from: deviant storm on April 14, 2010, 06:23:01 PM
Frankly I don't see why people can't keep things in their apartments in game. I think that perhaps it's a bid to make more people join merchant houses instead of crafting from their homes.

That's not the issue. The issue is people having a ridiculous amount of things in their apartments to the point that their place is worse than this:

I think they're more concerned with rooms like this:

どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

April 14, 2010, 07:14:56 PM #15 Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:16:27 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Myrdryn on April 14, 2010, 06:30:14 PM
However if you're talking about some automated system like renting apartments, where anyone with the coins on hand can rent one, it won't happen.

Why not? What are the drawbacks to doing it?

Computers are so fast and have so much space these days, it would be surprising if the save rooms are taxing Ginka.
Lunch makes me happy.

April 14, 2010, 07:31:17 PM #16 Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:47:54 PM by Myrdryn
Quote from: Salt Merchant on April 14, 2010, 07:14:56 PM
Quote from: Myrdryn on April 14, 2010, 06:30:14 PM

Why not? What are the drawbacks to doing it?

Computers are so fast and have so much space these days, it would be surprising if the save rooms are taxing Ginka.

It's an IC problem.  In a corrupt society like Zalanthas, I imagine people wouldn't do things on such a large scale as renting out a warehouse lightly.  An NPC can't ask what they're going to use it for, they can't get references, they can't ask for a cut of whatever business is going to be happening there.  If something bad happens, the landlord would ultimately be responsible, they'd want to know who they were dealing with and know where they live in case they need to come collect damages.

Apartments are fine, because they offer a private place meet and to store personal possessions.  But a warehouse implies that there is something more going on than someone just living there which would draw more attention by the powers that be (making things much more complicated than just paying an npc every so often).
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

Quote from: Xeran Van Houten on April 14, 2010, 06:33:59 PM
I think they're more concerned with rooms like this:

It's the fact that there ARE rooms like this in real life that makes me wonder why I can't do it in game.

We should allow proven players with enough karma to rent out warehouses.

Oh boy there we go with the Karma thing again.  Spoken by a person with Karma obviously.
Malifaxis has UBER board skills

Quote from: ianmartin on April 14, 2010, 09:51:07 PM
Oh boy there we go with the Karma thing again.  Spoken by a person with Karma obviously.

Ian, what do you mean by that?
"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars."

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 14, 2010, 09:01:46 PM

It's the fact that there ARE rooms like this in real life that makes me wonder why I can't do it in game.

So long as you're willing to have it coded that you have to remove every item from the room to get the that chest burried beneath everything?
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

Quote from: ianmartin on April 14, 2010, 09:51:07 PM

He's just being a smartass again.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

We should sequester all the karma players to their own quarter in the city, and each karma guild can have its own warehouse.

... Wait.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

Quote from: Ashes on April 15, 2010, 02:09:20 AM
We should sequester all the karma players to their own quarter in the city, and each karma guild can have its own warehouse.

... Wait.

wait a minute I like where you're going with this...
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on April 15, 2010, 06:01:55 AM

... Wait.

Okay but they'll get too powerful.  The only way this can work is if we make all their characters be socially ostracized.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on April 15, 2010, 10:33:02 AM
Quote from: Reiloth on April 15, 2010, 06:01:55 AM

... Wait.

Okay but they'll get too powerful.  The only way this can work is if we make all their characters be socially ostracized.

Right, if you are playing a mindbender or nilazi or sorcerer one of the perks is you can rent warehouses.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~