That ldesc is too long.

Started by Qzzrbl, March 26, 2010, 10:03:00 PM

Am I the only one wishing the ldesc line limit were a letter or ten longer?

Nope.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Nope.

Though I think every time this is brought up, there's a vocal outcry about the dangers of screen-spam and that we need to learn to be concise.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

change ldesc sits here at the side of the road, resting an arm on his knee.

I don't think it's possible to be more concise than that. :<

Quote from: Qzzrbl on March 26, 2010, 10:10:56 PM
change ldesc sits here at the side of the road, resting an arm on his knee.

I don't think it's possible to be more concise than that. :<

change ldesc sits at the side of the road, resting an arm on his knee.

(removed the word "here" because it's unneccessary)

I do wish the ldesc limit would discount the sdesc. So, if it's 20 characters, it'd be 20 characters in addition to your sdesc. Not including it.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Yes, make it longer.

With certain equipment scree-wraps happen without people changing their ldesc. I'm not annoyed in the slightest by those screen-wraps.

Having a character with a longer sdesc than most, I'm constantly having to stifle my ability to write, trying to make it more concise.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 26, 2010, 10:14:57 PM
Yes, make it longer.

With certain equipment scree-wraps happen without people changing their ldesc. I'm not annoyed in the slightest by those screen-wraps.

Having a character with a longer sdesc than most, I'm constantly having to stifle my ability to write, trying to make it more concise.

Quote from: Thunkkin on March 26, 2010, 10:07:19 PM
Though I think every time this is brought up, there's a vocal outcry about the dangers of screen-spam and that we need to learn to be concise.

Hate to say it, but you're exercising your ability to write, not stifling it! It's good to be concise! :)

The man sleeps here, naked, arms wrapped around the woman.
If you add sdescs, it's too long.

I also wish you could target people in your ldescs, and then it would reset whenever they did anything, to keep it from contradicting.
-Kuh

If you eliminate the word "here" from your ldescs, then you have an extra 5 characters (including the space) to work with. Everyone knows you're there. If they didn't, they wouldn't see you at all. "Here" is redundant.

Quote from: Lizzie on March 27, 2010, 08:21:45 AM
If you eliminate the word "here" from your ldescs, then you have an extra 5 characters (including the space) to work with. Everyone knows you're there. If they didn't, they wouldn't see you at all. "Here" is redundant.

Be that as it may, there are countless situations you can't ldesc your character in due to the current limitations.

Passed out in a pool of one's own vomit under a table, stinking of strong alcohol.

Breaking up chunks of blood-hardened sand in the Byn drill yard with a stick.

Resting on the side of the road, leaning one's back against a building with an arm slung over his knee.

You get my point....

Sure, all of these are doable if you leave out a detail or two, but maybe it's just me, I always feel  gypped when I'm forced to leave out an element of what my character is doing at that specific point in time.

sc
>You are Leslie, of many people. (type 'tribes' to see your tribes).
Keywords: prim auburn french braided young lirathan templar kurac human
Sdesc: the prim, auburn french-braided young Lirathan templar

change ldesc is standing here.
>That ldesc is too long.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on March 27, 2010, 04:13:18 AM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 26, 2010, 10:14:57 PM
Yes, make it longer.

Quote from: Thunkkin on March 26, 2010, 10:07:19 PM

Hate to say it, but you're exercising your ability to write, not stifling it! It's good to be concise! :)

I'm not playing Arm for writing lessons. I'm playing to enjoy myself. MY point stills tands. Screen-wraps already happen. Longer ldescs please.

Quote from: Pantoufle on March 27, 2010, 09:11:50 AM
sc

>That ldesc is too long.

Very true Pantoufle.

Having said that - I agree with RogueGunslinger - longer descs are definitely more fun - especially if you're caught in a situation where you HAVE to use certain words in your desc, like:
the _ female half-giant (22 characters already used out of 35)
the _  dwarven woman (17 characters already used out of 35)
** I'm counting the spaces after "the" and before the "race" as well.

In fact, since most race names *usually* depict the male of the species, writing a female desc tends to be a tad restrictive with the 35 character limit.

But, like someone mentioned in the thread, this topic has been discussed multiple times.... and 35 seems to be the magick number so far....
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

I definitely agree they should be longer than they currently are.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Nah, I like this limit.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

A couple of character's more really couldn't hurt anyone.. It annoy's me alot.. alot alot.. nine times out of ten I just.. don't ldesc cause I don't want to sit there having to keep trying to change it over and over again cause I've been told it's 'too long'
A staff member sends:
     "You can quit ooc - or if you want I can kill <character name>, that'd definitely reset it."

Quote from: kuhfelsen on March 27, 2010, 08:18:08 AM
If you add sdescs, it's too long.

Quote from: Pantoufle on March 27, 2010, 09:11:50 AM
sc

>That ldesc is too long.

From the way it sounds, solving the problem above would help a lot.
I'm the fat man (12 chars, including space), and I Ldesc looking at ~the.wooden.stool (17 chars including space).  I should get 64 characters total for my Ldesc, including the Sdescs.  Isn't default wrapping width for Telnet applications like 60 or 80 characters?  So we wrap once...That's not going to get excessive unless someone figures out a way to be interacting with every object and person in a room via their ldesc at the same time.  JMO.

ldesc_length = 35 + string.len(Sdesc) + string.len(aliasedSdescs)
if string.len(enteredLdesc) > ldesc_length
  --TOO LONG
else
  --Woohoo, we can actually Ldesc again!
end

Quote from: zeia on March 29, 2010, 01:58:13 PM
A couple of character's more really couldn't hurt anyone.. It annoy's me alot.. alot alot.. nine times out of ten I just.. don't ldesc cause I don't want to sit there having to keep trying to change it over and over again cause I've been told it's 'too long'

Seconded. I've felt this way for a long time. I hardly ever use it because the limitation irritates me.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jmordetsky on March 29, 2010, 03:12:16 PM
Quote from: zeia on March 29, 2010, 01:58:13 PM

Seconded. I've felt this way for a long time. I hardly ever use it because the limitation irritates me.

This.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 50 character limit on sdesc, and a 100 character limit on ldescs, with sdesc not taken into account in it.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on March 29, 2010, 04:18:13 PM

This.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 50 character limit on sdesc, and a 100 character limit on ldescs, with sdesc not taken into account in it.

As long as it was made clear that this was a maximum, not a target. It's hard enough coming up with three original words, let alone six or seven.
Stop reading people's signatures and get a job, you loafer.

Why would anyone think it was a target?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 15, 2010, 08:29:54 PM
Why would anyone think it was a target?

I've seen some people who write emotes as though they're -constantly- striving to target the max character limit. That's what he means by a target. Something people would, for some reason, -always- strive for. It gets intimidating when you see speed-typists with lightning fast wit churn out 3-line after 3-line while you're just typing "nod" and hoping you can keep up.

Personally I don't see the need for 100-character ldescs. If we could just have the current 35, BUT make it 35 over and above your sdesc, however long or short that is, with or without a cloak or any other sdesc-altering items, that'd be great. That way the prim, whatever else, french-braided Lirathan templar can portray the exact same thing, word for word, as the tall thin man.

Uh... So how would this limit be different than the one we already have in that sense?

I agree thought. It shouldn't incorporate your own sdesc in it. Every character should have a the same OOC creative abilities.

Sometimes I wish I had maybe 5-10 more character room (letter space), but I eventually work around it.

I wish crafting didn't break your ldesc, though :(
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on April 16, 2010, 12:22:35 AM
Sometimes I wish I had maybe 5-10 more character room (letter space), but I eventually work around it.

I wish crafting didn't break your ldesc, though :(

Crafting, and doing lots of other stuff.  I hate it! Please change it someone.

I do not like that crafting resets it...but I understand it. I don't see that getting changed any time soon either....and it should not be...even if it would be entertaining to see somebody with the ldesc is here weaving baskets, and emoting giving head.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Jumping on the 'needs to be longer' bandwagon, because it's true.  I pride myself on being generally concise, but I still constantly run into situations where I can't say what I want to in my ldescs.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Yeah. I pride myself on being concise. It need to be longer.

Quote from: X-D on April 17, 2010, 06:47:03 PM
I do not like that crafting resets it...but I understand it. I don't see that getting changed any time soon either....and it should not be...even if it would be entertaining to see somebody with the ldesc is here weaving baskets, and emoting giving head.

:)  Yeah, but that applies to any set ldesc.

Maybe, but then there is also the fact that you might be crafting rugs and set your ldesc, then 15 min later start crafting swords and forget to change the ldesc.....having ldescs that stuck through crafting or other things could be more annoying then what we have now.
Lizzie:

In the vein of this thread, look what I did:

Quote> idea Ldesc: It would be fantastic if one was able to use the @ character to denote one's personal description inside an ldesc string. Example: change ldesc Sitting here, @ reads a book.
Your Idea has been filed.  Thanks!

Y/N?
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

change ldesc Reading the last post, @ is here, doing a little dance as she nods.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.