What really is the point of played a gemmed these days?

Started by Salt Merchant, March 16, 2010, 04:52:27 PM

Why play gemmed?

- You have a place to store your stuff. You can actually start several simultaneous hobbies that require a safe storage place like crafting, cooking actually using utensils, personal care - bucket+scrap of cloth+soap or razor+mirror+soap+brush+beard or scissors+haircuts - and games.
- You have a place to safely 'cast'. To tell the truth, I had played an ungemmed in Red Storm and I was worried. Second story windows should be easily seen from the road when that road is wide enough to allow wagons' passage. With some characters you'd like to dedicate your time to other stuff and practise quickly when you feel like that, without fear.
- Templerate is capable of several plots. It feels good to be actually able to tell a templar "I can preserve food, cool down your water, shoot down ocular lasers and polymorph into a cockroach for spying, Lord Templar." and get used in plots for those abilities.
- You can actually be in the Reich mentality, doing your best for the templerate. You can be a horrendeously patriotic person and my personal opinion is that that kind of brainwashing should be common in Magicker's Quarters if you were gemmed when you were a child.
- There are a lot of invisible spell effects that protect the caster, also there are a lot of save-or-die or save-or-suck spells. With the dull black dangling about your throat, you're telling the world "I may and may not know the spell :-* 'petrify'. There may be a 'shield of fart' rendering my body immune to mundane weapons with your skill. You feel lucky, punk?!"
- Sometimes gritty's good. Last time I played a gemmer, the mundane population consisted of very good players whom offered me the feeling "we may smile at your face but we hate you". It is sometimes nice to have 'hate' as a starting point for character development.
- I have no IG evidence but logic dictates ungemmed mages should end up serving someone in the end, sooner or later, if they don't die before. Why not get quick with the 'adopting a master' phase and start licking some templar boots?

Note: I don't know if those spell I described above actually exist. I just made them up. Don't be hopeful for the 'ocular laser' spell just because I typed it above and I seem to be a guy that plays a lot of mages.  :-*
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.