Thoughts from my first week as a Bynner

Started by jasonbaughman, February 22, 2010, 08:12:23 PM

I believe the sig says it all.   ;D
-7hp 2mv 51st>
You think:
     "Note to self. The Sarge is Always Right."

It happens to the best of us. :D

PS - Posting about recent deaths of your PC is generally frowned upon.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Heh...that's something any newbie into any armed force quickly learns.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Oh, wasn't actually a death. Does that make it better or worse?
-7hp 2mv 51st>
You think:
     "Note to self. The Sarge is Always Right."

I have a feeling it went something like this

The half-giant says, in sihirish:
   "Hey. Ya wanna spar wit me? Evr'body else said no."

You think, feeling the image of sarge popping into your head:
    "Sparring the giants is always a bad idea, Runner."

You say to the half-giant, in sihirish:
    "Sure!"

Quote from: MeTekillot on February 22, 2010, 09:38:03 PM

"Sure!"

;D

You would know.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: deviant storm on February 23, 2010, 07:18:05 AM
Quote from: MeTekillot on February 22, 2010, 09:38:03 PM

"Sure!"

;D

You would know.

:D
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Hey, I've had several non-giants spar giants no prob.  :P  Also, Byn ftw.

I, too, once spent a week as a Bynner, in about 2001. It ended when a gith sent my poor little elf fleeing over a big cliff you might have heard of. The Shield Wall? I don't know if you're familiar with it. Anyway, it's a long fall. Survived it, too, but met something pretty nasty at the bottom that ate my elf's skinny head.

Haven't played a city elf or a Bynner since, come to think of it. I really ought to.
One day that wall is gonna fall.

Quote from: jasonbaughman on February 22, 2010, 09:03:43 PM

Normally don't talk about a death... IC information.  But as this is ambiguous and doesn't points to any IC info anyone can use, don't worry about it.  Welcome to Arm... the place where you quickly learn from you mistakes. ;)
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Quote from: Ath on February 23, 2010, 05:13:38 PM

Normally don't talk about a death... IC information.  But as this is ambiguous and doesn't points to any IC info anyone can use, don't worry about it.  Welcome to Arm... the place where you quickly learn from you mistakes. ;)

BY DYING!!!
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Welcome to Arm... the place where you quickly learn from you mistakes. ;)

Optimistic.

Welcome to Arm... Byn is a GREAT place to start too.  Good chunk of the playerbase has fond memories of their time in the shit-cloaks.  Don't skimp on the afternoons, especially Nekrete!  That's where all the good rp is
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

NOW I know where I'm going wrong!  :D
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Yea, it's been a crazy ride thus far. Near-death or actual-death experiences are a recurring theme in this game generally (and if you're wearing the shitcloak, particularly). Also, to aid others. If you see a guy that other guys tell you has killed lots of guys...don't piss off the guy. You'll just be another guy this guy has killed... (was that vague enough not to violate Forum Policy?)
Omnia mea, mecum porto

Quote from: Clearsighted on February 24, 2010, 04:21:55 PM
More like, the sarge is always dead.

One of these days, someone should play a Byn Sergeant who actually cuts and runs when the going gets tough, instead of trying to be all heroic and getting everyone killed.  Maybe you could actually build up a unit that was worth a shit, instead of constantly going out with a bevy of untrained assassins and pickpockets.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 24, 2010, 04:27:13 PM

One of these days, someone should play a Byn Sergeant who actually cuts and runs when the going gets tough, instead of trying to be all heroic and getting everyone killed.  Maybe you could actually build up a unit that was worth a shit, instead of constantly going out with a bevy of untrained assassins and pickpockets.

It's been done.
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Synthesis on February 24, 2010, 04:27:13 PM

Shit. Seriously. The Byn needs some more goddamn cowards in its upper management. It's true.

There's like one or two guys that come along a /year/ that can be both bad ass, first in, last out, and still build up a unit. And it's mostly luck based on being around other great players that can look out for themselves.

Everyone else who tries it, dies horribly and the whole organization has to start over.

Would the next guy who applies for the Byn sarge please be a corrupt coward?

February 24, 2010, 04:41:00 PM #18 Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:47:41 PM by janeshephard
*cough*reel lock*cough*

EDIT:

Joking aside, I'm not surprised if 'Byn sarges get killed often. Every outing the unit has the Sarge is in there somewhere so generally, the danger level for sarges is higher than the danger level for an individual 'Bynner who doesn't go out with every single group.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Knowing when to GTFO is a crucial survival skill for any combat leader PC, from Byn Sergeants all the way up to templars. Being basically cautious and often cowardly certainly led to long life for my AoD Sergeant. (And the PCs under her, too.)

Quote from: janeshephard on February 24, 2010, 04:41:00 PM
*cough*reel lock*cough*

If you're likely to get reel-locked, then you're not truly ready to be leading a unit against whatever you're planning to lead it against.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on February 24, 2010, 04:44:25 PM
Knowing when to GTFO is a crucial survival skill for any combat leader PC, from Byn Sergeants all the way up to templars. Being basically cautious and often cowardly certainly led to long life for my AoD Sergeant. (And the PCs under her, too.)

*cough*reel lock*cough*

If you're likely to get reel-locked, then you're not truly ready to be leading a unit against whatever you're planning to lead it against.

And I've made the mistake of opening a can of IC worms. I won't respond to any of this anymore. Sorry for getting it started.

And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on February 24, 2010, 04:44:25 PM

*cough*reel lock*cough*

Ha, seeing "you reel from the blow!" scroll across the screen is my indicator to type >omfgflee!!!!!
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Playing by the book has been done in the Byn more often then anything, year after year.  I've enjoyed playing under such leaders the *least* in all my experience.  People who do their own thing, be it for better or worse, make the game fun.  That goes for any clan.  Just my perspective though.

Quote from: Zoltan on February 24, 2010, 04:53:45 PM
Ha, seeing "you reel from the blow!" scroll across the screen is my indicator to type >omfgflee!!!!!

Yeah... anytime I see a reel echo, I instantly type: stand <enter> flee <enter>
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on February 24, 2010, 07:50:47 PM
Quote from: Zoltan on February 24, 2010, 04:53:45 PM

Yeah... anytime I see a reel echo, I instantly type: stand <enter> flee <enter>

It makes you sit? I must be very green or real lucky because I've never seen reel causing me to sit. I've noticed it prevents me from fleeing right away. Thus the reel locking. A bad enough opponent can just lock you in place.

No, but if you get knocked down before the lag wears off, you've already covered all the bases and don't have to deal with:

He does horrendous damage to YOUR neck and you reel from the blow!

>flee

<lag and him still kicking your arse>

He bashes/charges you and you are now sitting on your arse!

<more lag and him kicking your arse>

You must stand first!

<lag from flee comand>

>stand
>flee

You stand up.

He hits you in the head and you reel from the blow AGAIN!

Your vision goes black!

<mantis head>
Grebber - One who grebs.