The spread of negativity and how to combat it

Started by UnderSeven, February 14, 2010, 10:23:51 AM

February 15, 2010, 11:12:16 PM #25 Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:13:47 PM by Salt Merchant
The bottom line is that gossip is one of humanity's less admirable traits and that people will readily spread rumors without any real evidence of truth to back them up. I've seen this again and again in real life.

I wish I could say that karma would come back to bite those that initiate gossip hard on the ass, especially those that initiate malicious gossip based on willing lies, but sadly I don't think it's true.
Lunch makes me happy.

I am negative and cynical. Avoid out-of-character interaction with me if you wish to avoid these traits. This is my disclosure to ye dudes.

Quote from: nessalin on February 14, 2010, 12:55:16 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on February 14, 2010, 12:52:36 PMwhether they're in blastchat or tinymuckchat or twittergeddon or whatever the kids are into these days.
Which they are completely welcome and entitled to do in those places, which are not supported and maintained by the staff.

This space, however, is.
If I am not mistaken, though, this thread was a plea to stop doing this sort of behavior even in those locations.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I agree that negative input from those whom you confide in can turn what you already consider a negative into more of a negative. Thus, OOC communication can create an even more emotional situation for you. I, however, discovered a long time ago that this is a game with some amazingly involving and emotion-twisting and absolutely frustrating moments. If you can really not separate the situation from the game, maybe you shouldn't play the game. Otherwise, roll with the punches and get on with your IC life.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Everybody knows I cry when my PCs die, because I post about the PKers.

Everybody ALSO sees my posts about "oh KRATH these RPers are freaking amazing!"

So, I have a mixed feeling. I'm negative to PKing, and anybody who can pick me out in there knows for a fact I'm -way- too fast to back off a fight in the interest of keeping a happy RPer around to make my life interesting... sadly not everybody feels that way.

But most of my death scenes that -did- involve PCs were really heartfelt moments that I had a lot of fun with. Now... code initiating climb? That -sucks-. A PC mashing your face into the sand and you emoting blubbering and gasping for air while he's adding more pressure to the back of your neck with a warhammer? Epic. FIND reasons to like the game, FIND reasons to get into it. If you want to whine, do it, but make sure you're not just actively looking to -only- whine, and tell people what you find GOOD about the game too.

I cry during fun moments in Arm, when they're really that epic. I guess that's what makes it great, for me. When you can stare at text, and the waterworks start flowing because the scene so great and you KNOW you're dead meat, but you troop on anyways.

DISCLAIMER don't whine so damn much if you don't have anything good to say as well.