Board Moderators

Started by Ampere, February 13, 2010, 06:54:13 PM

What say you to the deputization of actual moderators?

Yes.
18 (34%)
No.
34 (64.2%)
Other(explain yourself).
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: February 27, 2010, 06:54:13 PM

Quote from: janeshephard on February 14, 2010, 05:56:15 PM
Any ex-BatMUD players here?

On BatMUD, back in the good ole days when they had 300+ players online at once and login queues, you did not mess around. You weren't allowed to. If you got on someone's case and their bf or gf was on the staff, INSTAWIPE. You hassled another player and some cabal would form out of nowhere and just PK you OVER AND OVER AND OVER. The place was brutal to anyone rocking the boat.

Great community though. Seriously :) Everyone got along or else.

Maybe because sometimes people get along too well, and then when that happens, some random person who you don't like as much as the person he/she is in conflict with ... is well, in conflict with, then you'd automatically want to defend your friend. Kinda hard to remain neutral when the people involved are people you like/dislike. I mean, it's possible right? Am I even making sense?

You've got all the APMs and the OOC armchats and the clan boards*, it's really hard to remain objective. Reminds me of this social mmorpg I played a long time before. It was like highschool, and since no one RPs there, it's even worse. Omg ur dating mi virtual bf!!!!111one

* I don't have a thing against them. Really. Plzdunhateme.
I ruin immershunz.

Quote from: mansa on February 14, 2010, 04:47:17 PM
The only thing I want, is for the reason why the posted was edited to be explained, be that:
"Don't insult other players"
"Don't post in-character information on the boards"
And perhaps a link to those specific rules on the GDB.

It could be cookie-cutter copy/paste "edited/moderated" post rules, but as long as everybody is reminded again and again why it was edited, it (hopefully) won't show up again.

Nessalin has a perfect example of what i mean, in one of the posts today in the Ask The Players.  He edited a post, and then explained why it was edited.  Its a great example.

I agree with this whole heartedly. All too often when posts get edited what the staff puts in in place of the edited comments comes off as snarky. You don't have to be snarky about it. Just fix what needed to be and explain.

This is all we need, write it atop every page on the forums:

DO NOT BE A DOUCHE.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

February 27, 2010, 11:53:16 AM #53 Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 04:20:14 PM by Morgenes
Guess I haven't been around for a while...but I can tell you, I have seen other forums FAR FAR worse for RP MUDs.

If you want to see examples of total censorship, favoritism, elitism, and cliqueishness, go here:

[Removed link to other site, please don't post, even if it's not an advertisement -Morgenes]

So far here, I've been able to post my ideas without disrespect, moderation, or anything! I can even CUSS a little and not get yelled at for it. So, I think the Mods here do a FINE job in promoting an equitable, mature atmosphere. But again, I've not been around long....but I know a bad forum...this isn't it.
Omnia mea, mecum porto