You Try To Attack It, But It Rises Overhead...

Started by Synthesis, January 20, 2010, 04:59:43 PM

Quote from: Synthesis on January 25, 2010, 01:30:12 PM
My semi-ideal fix, based on 1.Arm physics and code:

1. Impossible to initiate a melee attack on something that is flying.
     a. Exception: unless the aggressor is also flying.

2. Possible to initiate a ranged attack, but the ranged attack doesn't necessarily initiate combat (coder's discretion).

3. Something that is flying can attack a grounded target, but as soon as it 'disengages,' the grounded target is no longer able to strike it with melee attacks.
     a.  Exception:  if the flying thing is currently reeling from a powerful blow and it disengages, it will disengage, but melee will continue until it is no longer reeling.
          i. Exception: if the flying thing disengages and the grounded target disengages, melee will cease regardless of reeling status.
     b.  Exception: if the flying thing is suffering from a combat-delay timer (from the kill, backstab, kick, bash, etc. commands), it will disengage, but melee will continue until the timer expires.
          i. Exception:  if the flying thing disengages and the grounded target disengages, melee will cease regardless of combat-delay timer status.

4. All regular combat commands can target something that is flying if it is engaged in melee combat with a grounded target.
     a.  Optional:  additional damage to target from bash and/or charge and/or trample, reflecting presumed height of fall.

5. If something that is flying initiates a ranged attack on a grounded target, it does not automatically engage melee combat.

6. If something that is flying is "stumbled to the ground" by a ranged attack, it suffers fall damage equivalent to falling off a 1-room drop.

I think that pretty much covers it.

I think you'd probably have to move Whiran up a couple of karma ranks, though.

I like it all except the last part. If whirans were move offensive of a class sure but I don't believe them to be offensive enough for this to be a problem.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Heh, if you don't think Whirans are an offensive class, you've never been pk'ed by one.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Can we not discuss how epik PK awesome a karma class may or may not be, guys? It bothers me, and it's more or less thinly veiled IC info, even if a ton of us veterans know that sort of thing. Leave the newbies some discovery, please.

Every magicker is scary as fuck, and can fuck your shit up entirely, and entirely without warning.  Everybody should know that, IC and OOC.

That being said, I was more addressing the problem of buzzards/hawks/falcons/siltflyers.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Yes, I realize that, but ... eh.

I think I agree with the premise that flying creatures should need to initiate combat, though I wonder if it hasn't been implemented before due to balance reasons. On the same topic, I don't think disengage should automatically stop combat for said flying person. That's what flee is for, after all. Maybe a bonus to that, if it isn't reflected already?

I believe flee'ing already is painfully easy for flying creatures.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

My position is it should be hard as hell to kill flying things without a ranged weapon or magickal spell.

I would like to see one of you slash a hawk out of the air with a bone longsword...  IF you can do it, youtube it.

Quote from: musashi on January 25, 2010, 08:17:31 PM
I believe flee'ing already is painfully easy for flying creatures.

Should be much harder to flee from something that is flying too.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.