Your eyes flutter open

Started by Gunnerblaster, January 06, 2010, 01:40:10 PM

Instead of auto-forcing someone to "open their eyes and sit up", would it be reasonable to just continue sleeping? I mean, if your knocked out - Your asleep until you codedly regain 1 stun, then you auto-emote 'your eyes fluttering open', which alerts everyone else of your conscious status. Instead of waking up, would it make sense to just let the PC continue sleeping? I mean, if your watching over someone who is supposed to stay out-cold but you think he's faking it, you can >wake man (Prodding !man with ~club) and if they wake up, you bop them or something. I realize it may not help out much in the ways of recovery but it's better then waking up in a room full of hostiles when you have literally 1 stun.

Ideas? Thoughts? Comments?
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I think waking up is fairly involuntary.  Getting up maybe by choice, but I don't really feel like I have the option of actually waking or not.  Now going back to sleep is another story.

I'm completely for this.  Whenever the code MAKES you do things is a bad thing. There should be a list of these things that get fixed so that you can turn them off.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Being asleep, then waking up but waking up in such a way that no one around you notices that you've woken would imply some sort of ability to realize you're asleep while you're asleep, and consciously control what your reaction is. As u7 says, this is an involuntary process, not a voluntary one. You, the player, OOCly realize that your PC is asleep--but your PC doesn't know that s/he is asleep, nor should your PC be able to control what waking up looks like.

If I'm asleep in my bedroom and my husband is standing right there next to me, he's going to notice when I wake up. Something will change about my breathing or my movement. Or, I will have woken so very gradually that the process wasn't even conscious.

So basically, no, I don't agree that a PC should be able to pretend to remain asleep after actually waking--because PCs don't have consciousness when they are unconscious, so they shouldn't have control over the waking process.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

It's actually quite realistic to automatically "wake up" when stunned & unconscious (0 stun). I think "eyes fluttering open" could be a phemote to everyone in the room, and if you want to groan loudly when you remember that blackjack hitting you in the head, then you could emote it. The echo that comes from >wake could be an hemote too, I guess.

I would totally support this change.

I can think of three of my PCs who would have lived longer had this not happened.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

The process is involuntary and uncontrollable.

However I can see the signs of waking being subtle enough so that someone not paying attention wouldn't notice, in which case it's up to that person to either watch them or it to check their watch skill to see if they notice it.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Quote from: daedroug on January 06, 2010, 02:19:50 PM
The process is involuntary and uncontrollable.

However I can see the signs of waking being subtle enough so that someone not paying attention wouldn't notice, in which case it's up to that person to either watch them or it to check their watch skill to see if they notice it.

Summed up perfectly.  I agree with this.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

You can always knock yourself back out again very easily with just one stun, almost immediately if you want.  In fact, I've purposefully passed out one of my characters in a situation in which it would make sense.

That said, I wouldn't oppose this change.  I'm just not really strongly in support, either. 

I would also want people with a high watch skill to be able to notice that you're no longer as knocked out as you were before, though.  If you're conscious enough to make a voluntary decision to stay unconscious, as has been said you're probably twitching, having breathing changes, or doing something else which might alert people that you could wake up at any time.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on January 06, 2010, 03:06:36 PM
You can always knock yourself back out again very easily with just one stun, almost immediately if you want.  In fact, I've purposefully passed out one of my characters in a situation in which it would make sense.
It's not so much a matter of staying unconscious but pretending to still be unconscious and gain back some stun before you wake up so that a single blow from a pencil to the head will knock you out again.

Quote from: valeria on January 06, 2010, 03:06:36 PMI would also want people with a high watch skill to be able to notice that you're no longer as knocked out as you were before, though.  If you're conscious enough to make a voluntary decision to stay unconscious, as has been said you're probably twitching, having breathing changes, or doing something else which might alert people that you could wake up at any time.

someone with high watch would likely see "You notice So and So's eyes flutter slightly."
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Quote from: daedroug on January 06, 2010, 03:16:08 PM
Quote from: valeria on January 06, 2010, 03:06:36 PMI would also want people with a high watch skill to be able to notice that you're no longer as knocked out as you were before, though.  If you're conscious enough to make a voluntary decision to stay unconscious, as has been said you're probably twitching, having breathing changes, or doing something else which might alert people that you could wake up at any time.

someone with high watch would likely see "You notice So and So's eyes flutter slightly."

I think this is the only balanced way to do it.  I agree with Valeria that waking up after being rendered unconscious wouldn't exactly be a voluntary reaction, nor would it be completely concealable.  That being said, it could be subtle enough that only someone intently watching your character might notice.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

I am against it.

The most realistic method is what we have right now.

We are not talking about sleeping first of all, that is the biggest problem with the OP and many of the posts after.

We are talking trauma that caused the brain to basicly shut down. Maybe to protect itself (overuse of the way) or damage (conked on the head by an annoyed half-giant). This is not sleep.

Actually, in order to be more realistic, if you are KO'd the code should wake you up when you have that 1 stun back and force you to do random actions like stand, sit, rest, move, yell, etc till you have around 50% of your stun back.

People that have been knocked out through trauma or even fainting rarely have any type of control or understanding for the first few minutes after they wake up anyway, sort of like waking into a drunken stuper.

Seizure style activity is also common when recovering from trauma.
I've seen more then 100 cases of passing out in boxing and hospitals. The most common way in which people wake up is to open eyes, make noise and try and sit up or flail about. And I have never ever seen them in full control of brain function. Sorta like a reboot process. Things happen in a certain order and there is no way to stop that.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on January 06, 2010, 04:16:42 PM
I am against it.

The most realistic method is what we have right now.

We are not talking about sleeping first of all, that is the biggest problem with the OP and many of the posts after.

We are talking trauma that caused the brain to basicly shut down. Maybe to protect itself (overuse of the way) or damage (conked on the head by an annoyed half-giant). This is not sleep.

Actually, in order to be more realistic, if you are KO'd the code should wake you up when you have that 1 stun back and force you to do random actions like stand, sit, rest, move, yell, etc till you have around 50% of your stun back.

People that have been knocked out through trauma or even fainting rarely have any type of control or understanding for the first few minutes after they wake up anyway, sort of like waking into a drunken stuper.

Seizure style activity is also common when recovering from trauma.
I've seen more then 100 cases of passing out in boxing and hospitals. The most common way in which people wake up is to open eyes, make noise and try and sit up or flail about. And I have never ever seen them in full control of brain function. Sorta like a reboot process. Things happen in a certain order and there is no way to stop that.
Agreed. Trust me. You'll know when someone wakes up after being knocked out. Unless they're batman.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Yeah, that's some really valid stuff, X-D.

I guess I was more annoyed OOCly with it then IC. I like the variance in what they would do, though. Maybe, if it's subtle enough, it could be a hemote command and at others, their eyes will 'flutter open' and they'll stand up or something.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Chettaman on January 06, 2010, 04:23:30 PM
Agreed. Trust me. You'll know when someone wakes up after being knocked out. Unless they're batman.

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ph8xOGLvdw
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

sorry to get off topic...
but that's hilarious.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I think it's fine the way it works now.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I think it should stay how it is, but if anything I think it should be one of those things that scan/watch picks up.  Not everyone is gonna be watching the unconscious drunk on the ground to see when he wakes up.

I don't like the fact that anyone who is juggling daggers, fighting a templar, bar room brawling just happens to notice I wake up.  But I don't think you should be able to fake wake up either.

Quote from: Cerelum on January 06, 2010, 11:35:46 PM
I think it should stay how it is, but if anything I think it should be one of those things that scan/watch picks up.  Not everyone is gonna be watching the unconscious drunk on the ground to see when he wakes up.

I don't like the fact that anyone who is juggling daggers, fighting a templar, bar room brawling just happens to notice I wake up.  But I don't think you should be able to fake wake up either.

Yeah, maybe make it default as a silent emote or something.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: jhunter on January 06, 2010, 11:45:08 PM
Quote from: Cerelum on January 06, 2010, 11:35:46 PM

Yeah, maybe make it default as a silent emote or something.
Hidden emote you mean.  Silent would allow everyone that isn't blind to still see you wake up unless you are invisible and unconscious.

This is my preferred solution, having the emotes being hidden.  Actually, a lot of coded emotes should be hidden emotes, if you ask me.  This is just a perfect example.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I am assuming none of most of you have never fought amateur or professional fighting,
or been in an RL fight before. The code handles it as realistic as it is handled IRL. If you
doubt me, go fight someone that can knock you out and tell me what happens when you
wake up.

No need to change
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I agree, you should be able to extend how long you can be knocked out for RP reasons using this.

"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

That's is easily accomplished with the suspension of disbelief, a skill one begins training early in their Arm career if they want to enjoy it.

You can always knock yourself out by typing 'contact nobody' until you're out of stun.  I've done it before, for RP reasons, and its more realistic than, say, sleeping and being able to jump up whenever you please.