Should Keyboard Skills Affect the Game?

Started by ibusoe, November 30, 2009, 06:33:15 PM

Yes, combat and other game contests should be decided by typing speed, reading ability as well as other factors.
13 (65%)
No, the staff should take action to make sure that all players are equal regardless of typing or vision problems.
7 (35%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Yes. There is absolutely no feasible way around your skillz with typing not affecting gameplay in a text-based roleplaying game.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Manhattan on November 30, 2009, 07:25:54 PM
Why are people so mean on the GDB  :'(
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on November 30, 2009, 07:22:34 PM
This must be some form of humorless joke.

If you can't type/read properly - A text-based roleplaying game probably isn't something you should be playing. If you do decide to play it, regardless of your own physical short-comings, you can't whine and complain.

Since you, ibusoe, seem to be the only one "lobbying" for this - And the rest of us seem against it - Consider your lobbying effort DENIED.

P.S. - I voted incorrectly so that's the only reason you have 1 vote for No.  >:(

Remember your oaths, disagree without being jerks.  I disagree, but I didn't get so damned negative.

My oath was rendered null and void when staff edited it without saying anything after I typed it up  ;)

I don't think I was being a jerk anyhow though.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I think when you create a new character, they should give you a typing test to do, and depending on how well you do, and how fast you can type, that's your agility stat.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Cerelum on November 30, 2009, 09:30:25 PM
Remember your oaths, disagree without being jerks.  I disagree, but I didn't get so damned negative.
I went in and edited my pledge before posting.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Malken on November 30, 2009, 11:54:39 PM
I think when you create a new character, they should give you a typing test to do, and depending on how well you do, and how fast you can type, that's your agility stat.

I laughed in real life.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

It's important to identify your strengths and weaknesses and play to your strengths.

Some players:

> Have a good sense of intuition and can more easily predict the behavior of other player's.
> Are very charismatic and persuasive, easily soliciting support from others.
> Are faster readers and typers, allowing them assimilate and process large chunks of information very quickly.
> Can quickly identify and connect mathematical relationships, allowing them to more accurately fit their PC to the coded curve.
> Have a better memory, and more easily draw upon past knowledge to integrate into their game play.
> Are more creative, and can more easily make the game come alive around them.

We all have strengths, and we all have weaknesses.  One of Armageddon's strengths is that you don't have to engage in coded combat in order to be successful, powerful, or have fun.  There are many different avenues to pursue, and the trick to having the most rewarding experience you can is to choose roles that play to your strengths.  That usually results in a win-win for everyone.

-LoD

heh, personally I think "emote grunts" would be your friend if you can't type fast....and I should know....my gwam was like 38...and that was in high school when I typed everyday.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

Quote from: Gagula on December 01, 2009, 03:18:52 PM
heh, personally I think "emote grunts" would be your friend if you can't type fast....and I should know....my gwam was like 38...and that was in high school when I typed everyday.

Mine was like 52. I think it's likely increased to a bit over 100. But on the computer we have at the moment.... the 'r', 't', and 'e' keys have literally been used so much they fell off, so I'm slowed down, trying to hit the tooth-pick-wide nubs which actually input the letters without the keys.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

This thread is now about typing speed.

http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php

I scored 79 WPM with no mistakes.  Go me.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on December 01, 2009, 03:22:12 PM
Quote from: Gagula on December 01, 2009, 03:18:52 PM

Mine was like 52. I think it's likely increased to a bit over 100. But on the computer we have at the moment.... the 'r', 't', and 'e' keys have literally been used so much they fell off, so I'm slowed down, trying to hit the tooth-pick-wide nubs which actually input the letters without the keys.

Hmmm, If only you lived a little closer, I'd give you a keyboard for christmas.

[derail]
Which brings me to my next great thought, Armageddon remakes on holiday classics:

All I want for christmas is a new keyboard.  (all I want for christmas is my two front teeth)

We wish you a merry gith-mas! (we wish you a merry christmas)

cunyati nuts roasting on an open grill. (chestnuts roasting on an open fire)

Oh yppr. (oh tanenbaum)

.....that's all I've got for now.
[/derail]
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

My skill level: Megaracer

Average speed: 101 WPM

YEA BITCHES.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

I am locking this thread so that I can have the last word.

Also everyone here is either mean or talking about something else entirely. Including myself. That isn't good.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"