Holes in the ground

Started by DustMight, November 05, 2009, 11:44:19 AM

Quote from: Synthesis on November 08, 2009, 09:46:34 PM
I just wish the "hey, there's a fuckin' hole here, dumbass" warnings were in the output for look <direction> AND in the room description, instead of just the room description.

When I'm out in the desert, 90% of my attention is devoted to l e;l n;l w;l s.

This. 1000x this.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 08, 2009, 09:46:34 PM
I just wish the "hey, there's a fuckin' hole here, dumbass" warnings were in the output for look <direction> AND in the room description, instead of just the room description.

When I'm out in the desert, 90% of my attention is devoted to l e;l n;l w;l s.

Agreed.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

The trouble is, sometimes, the hole is -in- the room. Sometimes, the hole -is- the room. There are many rooms where you can go, where it's just the usual spot on in the area - and you can look down while you're standing there and see that there's a hole, in the room, where you're standing, but you're not falling in, because it's not the entire room that's the hole.

Then there's the situation you're all talking about, where the room IS the hole, rather than the room containing a hole.

Since the current version of Arm contains both, there has to be some reasonable expectation that if you don't look east, and go east anyway, you might fall into a hole. However, there should also be a reasonable expectation that if you -do- look east, and the room itself IS a hole, that you'd notice the drop.

A hole -in- the room, would be a different matter entirely. If the ground is sturdy, and there's simply a hole in it, there's no reason why you'd notice that from what amounts to a city block of distance away.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

If there is something in your current room's description that says, "Hey, looks like there might be a trap to the east," you should also see, "Hey, there might be a trap to the east," when you actually look east.

That's all I'm sayin', man.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I think you should only fall into the hole if you are running. If you are walking, you have time to stop.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Maybe not walk. Walking absently into holes is pretty common, I think.
Sneak. I think if we "slow down and start moving carefully" we should be able to avoid almost obvious holes in the room description. Note: not including the secret holes only the dead know about...
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I dunno. Here's the way I see it. If you, the player, are only reading the output from l e, l n, l s, then your pc is focusing more on the horizon than where he is stepping. I have a feeling that the hole(s) you are referring to were made intentionally as traps and steps were made to conceal them. In fact, even if you read full room descriptions every time, sometimes traps are only hinted to. That's because they're traps. It is designed to be inconvenient to your characters. So you ran into a hole you didn't see? Maybe the sun was in your eyes? Maybe next time you won't move so hastily in an area you're unfamiliar with. Your character is capable of error.

Besides, Most of the holes I've fallen into weren't even fatal. If things were as harsh as they could be, they'd be lined with spikes.
My next character is going to line them with spikes.

Quote from: Uberskaapie on November 09, 2009, 09:44:57 AM
Maybe next time you won't move so hastily in an area you're unfamiliar with. Your character is capable of error.
> sneak
You slow down and start moving carefully.

Capable of error. And unable to learn, I suppose. Well... unless you had a certain skill.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

typo room Hey, there's a gorge/hole/etc in X direction and I know it, but I can't see it by looking in x direction, nor is it apparent in the room description.  thanks

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

That's a great idea Nyr. The only problem with it, is that it would usually be more like this:

e-mail to mud@armageddon.org
subject A hole

I would've typoed this in game, but I was too busy being dead. So here's the thing. In the scrub west of the green-striped tower, 3 rooms west, 1 room north, the exit -from- that room, to the next room north, is actually a fall zone into death. But when you are standing in that 3rd room west, 1st room north, and type "look north" you don't see a drop. You only see "The vast scrubland continues here."

I discovered this by dying, and thought I'd send you a heads-up.

Love and kisses,
Lizzie, player of Elf #79 (Died to a fall, amen)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I have never, ever seen a death-worthy fall room that was not indicated in the room description. Ever.

And I've been everywhere, man.

Quote from: Adiadochokinesis on November 09, 2009, 12:28:34 PM
I have never, ever seen a death-worthy fall room that was not indicated in the room description. Ever.

And I've been everywhere, man.

That much is true... I've died trying to climb my way back out, or leave by other ways, but never from the fall alone. Even when I jumped off the Shield Wall and fell more than 2 rooms. I was still even healthy enough (IG) to heal with only a bit of rest.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

My point is that I remember personally going in and adding look descs to a lot of the pits that "appeared" over the past few years, and even the ones that don't show a specific look desc do show "over the edge" or "a gorge" if you look in that direction (as the room title).  Given that, I'd say the occurrences of this have been reduced to almost 0, with a few possible outliers.

You can e-mail--whatever works, of course.  Typo is a more efficient tool, but not very helpful if you just died there.  In that case, e-mail and say "I died in a room that..." and list the above about the directional stuff.  I feel generous, so you can e-mail me (cc mud) if you have one in mind, but you'll need to be as specific as possible.   
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on November 09, 2009, 12:51:49 PM
My point is that I remember personally going in and adding look descs to a lot of the pits that "appeared" over the past few years, and even the ones that don't show a specific look desc do show "over the edge" or "a gorge" if you look in that direction (as the room title).  Given that, I'd say the occurrences of this have been reduced to almost 0, with a few possible outliers.

You can e-mail--whatever works, of course.  Typo is a more efficient tool, but not very helpful if you just died there.  In that case, e-mail and say "I died in a room that..." and list the above about the directional stuff.  I feel generous, so you can e-mail me (cc mud) if you have one in mind, but you'll need to be as specific as possible.   

Yeah, I'll admit, I was lazy about this.  The problem with the Tablelands is that there are the day and night descriptions.   Sometimes, all the little goodies to indicate that pit over there disappear when the sun goes down.

Problem? Have you ever tried finding a hole in the ground during the darkest hours of the night?

Quote from: Rhyden on November 09, 2009, 03:13:48 PM
Problem? Have you ever tried finding a hole in the ground during the darkest hours of the night?

That degree of darkness is well represented by a moonless night without any light source of your own.  Your example doesn't really apply.

Quote from: Rotten on November 09, 2009, 03:36:16 PM
Quote from: Rhyden on November 09, 2009, 03:13:48 PM

That degree of darkness is well represented by a moonless night without any light source of your own.  Your example doesn't really apply.

Sure it does. When it's dark out, it's harder to see. Moons may alter the state of light or they may not, but overall, it will still be dark. If there's a hole somewhere with both moons out at dark and you think there should be a 'marker' saying there's a hole nearby, typo or bug it.

What I have a problem with is the "no climb" fall rooms.

The edge of a ledge.
rdesc

l south
The edge of a ledge.

s
you carefully climb south

The edge of a ledge.
rdesc

l south
The edge of a ledge.

s

You plummet to the ground below.

No warning, nothing, just "Oops, for some odd reason you jumped out into the air!"

No climb rooms...ALL of them, should have a shield wall style warning to them AND all the rooms leading to them should have some indication that the direction in question is a leap into space.

The last time I hit one, which was not a simple 1 or 2 room fall BTW, I very nearly wished up with some rather nasty comments. But decided the odds of the builder being on at that time were rather low.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on November 09, 2009, 08:37:19 PM
What I have a problem with is the "no climb" fall rooms.

The edge of a ledge.
rdesc

l south
The edge of a ledge.

s
you carefully climb south

The edge of a ledge.
rdesc

l south
The edge of a ledge.

s

You plummet to the ground below.

No warning, nothing, just "Oops, for some odd reason you jumped out into the air!"

No climb rooms...ALL of them, should have a shield wall style warning to them AND all the rooms leading to them should have some indication that the direction in question is a leap into space.

The last time I hit one, which was not a simple 1 or 2 room fall BTW, I very nearly wished up with some rather nasty comments. But decided the odds of the builder being on at that time were rather low.

I'll +1 this. Those are annoying.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Um... Nyr, can't the staff find out exactly which room the character died in?  Shouldn't we be able to say, "Account: spawnloser, Character: Falls-Off-Walls.  Falls-Off-Walls just died.  He was travelling north and fell into the room where he died.  Where he fell from there was no warning in the room description or 'look direction' information to indicate I would fall.  Thanks." ?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: Rotten on November 09, 2009, 03:11:37 PM
Quote from: Nyr on November 09, 2009, 12:51:49 PM

Yeah, I'll admit, I was lazy about this.  The problem with the Tablelands is that there are the day and night descriptions.   Sometimes, all the little goodies to indicate that pit over there disappear when the sun goes down.

This. I keep brief room on 'cause it's mostly room spam. I didn't codedly know that some room holes were in the previous rooms mdesc. Nearly died.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

I enjoy the pits. If you live there, you likely already know where the damn things are, and if you don't live there, well...then someone doesn't want you there, do they? But, like Nyr said, paying a little bit of attention'll keep you out of the things.