total anarchy

Started by Fredd, November 02, 2009, 04:54:41 PM

this is just a thought.

in situations like yesterdays rpt, when things inside the cities are pretty much anarchy, there should be a flag for the imm's to remove crim code.

The reason for this, during that time, it is highly likely people will start looting, breaking into places ect.

also, being crim flagged for protecting the city was a touch annoying.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I think this is a really good idea.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I found the imms worked very fast to rectify the situation, and problems were pretty limited  Of course, that doesn't mean this isn't a good idea.

Yeah, if this was IMM controlled - I think this would open up alot've different plots. Let people get Crimmed if their breaking the law within the same room as a soldier NPC.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Yeah I like the idea of being able to make cities zones of anarchy for catastrophic events.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on November 02, 2009, 05:41:51 PM
Let people get Crimmed if their breaking the law within the same room as a soldier NPC.

I'd say have NPC soldiers perform only guard/assist functions while Anarchy Mode is on.  But the big motivator for me isn't the impact on crime, but rather reducing friendly fire problems.

(Q: What does a gemmed elementalist do when hordes of drov beetles invade Allanak?
A: Hide.)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I think this would be helpful, if less hilarious.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Smart Templars rectified this aswell. Atleast one portion of it by mass recruiting everyone into militia. That allowed mages cast in public, people fight in public and so on. Then a polite request for everyone to rebel out and it's done.

It's just way too much of a pain in the ass for templars to recruit 40 or so PCs into the militia in order for them to not get crimmed for an event. And, when the event is unexpected, it's not reasonable to expect templars to do it.

During the gith invasion, getting crimmed was not an issue, because (I believe from observation of the code in various circumstances) gith are considered by the crim code to be aggro NPC enemies of the city, therefore open to attack by everyone without crimming the attacker. It's similar to what would happen if a tembo or a mek came through the gates; anyone could attack it and not get crimmed.

But there is clearly a grey area in the code, where non-aggro NPCs who should logically be seen as enemies of the city and therefore be open to attack are not actually treated as such.

Anarchy mode is one potential solution.

I would like to see Templars able to give some type of "don't touch" status to useful commoners.

Like the Assassin who everyone suspects, but works mostly for the city state, he surely wouldn't be attacked by a Private in the ARM just cause he stabbed someone...that's what he does afterall.

"help backstab"

Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 02, 2009, 07:10:58 PM
"help backstab"
That takes ungodly time (RL and IG) to get to the area you can "sometimes" drop folks in one hit.

Sap on the other hand, followed by a quick backstab is quite deadly.

Quote from: Olgaris on November 02, 2009, 05:48:05 PM
Yeah I like the idea of being able to make cities zones of anarchy for catastrophic events.

Yea, agreed. If you think about it, though the imms rectified the crimming quickly, it wouldn't have been unheard of for a few nasty types to walk into stores, steal goods, kill well dressed NPCs etc.

Great post.

If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

The imms were on top of it, from my experience. But yes... anarchy mode. Just saying it makes it seem like a great idea.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Love this idea.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I can think of more than a couple times where both PCs were killed during crim-code issues during an animation event, as well as PCs that refuse to take part in some plots because of said deaths.

I wonder how easy it would be to implement.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

seems to me if they just flagged said antagonist with  aggro then  no one would be crimmed. However not only is the anarchy code good for those malcontents looking to profit off the chaos and mayhem, but also those recruits and soldiers that would stop them. Or the officer that sees an opportunity to remove a cities annoyance that never out right gets caught.

One has to love opportunists. When it knocks answer.  ;) 
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

A martial law/total anarchy code would be very, very awesome for times such as this.

Quote from: Adiadochokinesis on November 03, 2009, 02:34:52 AM
A martial law/total anarchy code would be very, very awesome for times such as this.

Anyone out after dusk and before dawn is immediately arrested unless accompanied by a templar.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 03, 2009, 02:58:43 AM
Quote from: Adiadochokinesis on November 03, 2009, 02:34:52 AM

Anyone out after dusk and before dawn is immediately arrested unless accompanied by a templar soldier.

Even then, it would be very, very annoying for anything longer than an hour or two.

Yup. Perfect time for opportunists to take advantage of the situation.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Also, using the 'assist' command will allow you to attack someone without getting crimmed. And it also helps you avoid keyword killing something you don't want to.

This requires a militia clanned PC to initiate combat or have an aggro NPC, however. Probably sucks for the poor militia who have to keep init'ing on everything.

So a general anarchy would be cool too.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I know in a previous MUD that I've worked with we had a script that would remove the entire crim code flags from an entire zone/area in a matter of seconds.  It was easily changeable to do other things as needed too, zechos, weather changes, etc. 
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Just to add to this. I'm a bit perplexed by the numbers of soldiers in given cities. I know they have armies, but shouldn't there be a limitation to how many npcs you can load in any given area? I think there should be general numbers. And seeing 10-12 half-giant NPCs sit around in one place has to be a huge waste of resources. They must get breaks at some point. I just can't imagine a city having soldiers all over the city. I think there are NPCs that just sit around in one place (tempars especially) and never move.

Some soldier NPCs patrol. Some stay in place. Some give chase to a criminal, and end up in a place they didn't start in--this is why you're seeing so many soldiers in one location, usually. Other times, a PC templar may place soldiers in a particular location because there is some reason ICly for that to be done.

Allanak is a city of about 500k, but there are at least 10k soldiers in the city, and hundreds of templars. No, all of them are not on duty all the time--for soldiers, their duties would typically keep them engaged for about 6 hours out of 9. However, at any given time, there are FAR more soldiers and templars on duty (VNPC, NPC, and PC) than, for example, the proportion of cops in Chicago.