Maiden

Started by FantasyWriter, September 23, 2009, 12:41:58 PM

Should Maiden be taken off the approved nouns list?

Yes
79 (74.5%)
No
27 (25.5%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Let's just keep maiden and add more words to go along with the level of promiscuity.

Slut,
Playa,
Pimp,
Milf,
<enter your favorite>

And to try to add something substantive to the discussion . . .

I'm kind of with Zoltan on this one, although I can clearly see the concerns of the "Remove it!" side - and strictly speaking, y'all are probably right as far as technical definition, not being able to assess (or even assess -v  ;)) virginal status, etc.  I guess it's part of my personal philosophy of "maximum choice/variety".  Those of you who have rp'ed with me might have noticed I play fast-and-easy with emotes sometimes, sacrificing absolute objectivity to drive home a point or (hopefully) enhance a poignant moment.  To the best of my knowledge, I've never "power emoted" anyone, and hope no one has experienced my play-style as such.
    I think "maiden" should stay in, for the same reason I think "breed" has a place in the game, as do several other "forbidden" nouns:  as long as each adds another way for folks to express their creativity, and/or to shade their sdesc to be exactly right, they have value.  (Mansa, I'd really like "girl" and "boy" to be in as well, but I wonder if there might not be some lurking legal issue about that?  I'd have to dig to see if this has been articulated before, but something's in my head saying it has.)
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't really have an opinion one way or another on whether maiden should be in or out. I believe it connotes some things that I would never, ever apply to any PC of mine, thus I'll never use it; but you'll never see a PC of mine desced as having a "pert nose" either, and that's perfectly acceptable to do (which it should be).

Mostly what I'm saying is that though I'm personally prejudiced in a particular way against the use of the word, I'm OK with others using it, and it's likely that I'll give a PC sdesced as "maiden" a fair chance of winning my attention and interest.

Breed, however, should definitely be in. It makes no sense that it is not in.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Zoltan on September 23, 2009, 02:05:02 PM
I don't mind maiden. It's just another word for young woman to me, like early-teens.

It's not that I mean to insist on archaic meanings, guys, really.  I just don't know where y'all are getting this meaning for the word.

There's never been a time when maiden meant "young woman."  A maiden could just as well be aged.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 23, 2009, 02:14:46 PM
The iron-tressed maiden is here, acting insouciant.

> assess -v maiden

You notice her hyphen is intact.

Must have a chance to be slapped.

I've always found maiden jarring. Not sure why girl/boy was removed... ???
Amor Fati

Quote from: Fnord on September 23, 2009, 03:18:30 PM
I've always found maiden jarring. Not sure why girl/boy was removed... ???

I think it had something to do with people using it to seem "innocent" from an OOC perspective.

"it's just a kid.. I can trust him..."

The boy with short cropped hair plants a dagger in the center of your spine!
You reel from the blow!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

> assess -v maiden

Hahahahahahah.   This thread rules.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on September 23, 2009, 03:45:08 PM

> assess -v maiden

Hahahahahahah.   This thread rules.

That made my morning as well.  :D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Bluefae on September 23, 2009, 02:22:43 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on September 23, 2009, 01:14:18 PM
Quote2 : a former Scottish beheading device resembling the guillotine

So does that make our maiden a "present American" beheading device resembling the guillotine?
Or, the present Scottishre-heading device resembling the guillotine?
Or, has our maiden retired completely from the heading/beheading business, and is now relaxing in a bog somewhere, eating finger sandwiches and drinking tea?

Or! Is it still a Scottish beheading device, but it no longer resembles the guillotine?

WHAT MEANS THIS????

The use of the word "former" in this definition greatly influences the definition's Zalanthanization.

Lizzie, you made my day.   ;D

Is reheading the inverse of beheading?
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

So does that make our maiden a "present American" beheading device resembling the guillotine?
Or, the present Scottish re-heading device resembling the guillotine?
Or, has our maiden retired completely from the heading/beheading business, and is now relaxing in a bog somewhere, eating finger sandwiches and drinking tea?

Or! Is it still a Scottish beheading device, but it no longer resembles the guillotine?

WHAT MEANS THIS????

The use of the word "former" in this definition greatly influences the definition's Zalanthanization.

It could be more than one at the same time.

Quote from: Angela Christine on November 21, 2004, 12:56:20 AM
Quote from: cyberpatrol_735I'm going to be the one to ruin your lunch/supper/etc..

Did a little lookup of the middle word since we all know what the first word and the last word are.. (we hope you do)

dentate

\Den"tate\, Dentated \Den"ta*ted\, a. [L. dentatus, fr. dens, dentis, tooth.] 1. (Bot.) Toothed; especially, with the teeth projecting straight out, not pointed either forward or backward; as, a dentate leaf.

Creepy.. There's your answer.

Not so fast, the combined phrase yields much more amusing results.

This one is pretty tame, from famous Dr. Dean Edel:
http://www.healthcentral.com/DrDean/Deanfulltexttopics.cfm?ID=13198 

This one is more comprehensive and includes some major dissing of Freud, but may not be safe for work or around parents:
http://www.rotten.com/library/sex/vagina-dentata/

If you want to see the history of the concept on the GDB, do a search for "dentata".  It has come up more often than one might expect.

If you want to be scarred for life, do a google image search for "vagina dentata" but don't blame me if you feel the need to poke your eyes out afterwards. 

Nature's chastity belt!

AC

Or, the present Scottish re-heading device resembling the guillotine?

WHAT MEANS THIS????

Holy crap. I've read this post like four times and it just gets better and better.

I'm in the "ditch it" crowd. It's jarring and irksome to see ingame.

Also, as I've said about a million times before, "girl" and "boy" should be okay as long as they have the appropriate modifier. Since our PCs have to start at 14 or over, just make it "teenage girl" or "teenage boy." You can't claim PCs who specifically state their character is a teenager are trying to give an impression of childish innocence, can you?

Besides, the current alternatives are awful. "female teen", "teenage woman", "female youth",? Ew. I think there's a definite gap between preteen and "young woman" and I wish there was a non-androgynous way to do it that didn't sound freaking stupid.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I don't think it's terrible. It gives said character a color of someone a little more fresh-faced and less haggard by the words.

Quote from: Adieren on September 23, 2009, 10:39:05 PM
I don't think it's terrible. It gives said character a color of someone a little more fresh-faced and less haggard by the words.

Zalanthan commoners should be less fresh and more haggard than the current average PC.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Adieren on September 23, 2009, 10:39:05 PM

I love my PCs haggard though!  :-*

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Actually it gives a character a color of someone a little more fresh-crotched, not fresh-faced. And - remember kids, there are no tampons or disposable sanitary napkins in Zalanthas. Or toilet paper. Or laundry detergent, or fabric softener. You're using raw bolts of woven cloth to wipe your ass, IF you can afford it. If you can't, you're lucky if you wipe your ass at all and don't just scrape sand on your butt to get rid of the soiling. If you're female and menstruating, you're -probably- either wadded up with cloth or leaves, OR bleeding down your pretty white new silk leggings.

Maiden is a word that just plain doesn't belong in Zalanthas, unless it's applying to a chaste, unwed, virginal noble female.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

This is kinda a moot arguement, and I'm not going to get upset because some people don't like it. It might be the case that the people who use it, think it applied at the time that the character was made. This may change eventually, but personally, I'd not go out and use one of my description changes because some people don't like it because they take it at a different connotation.

Quote from: Lizzie on September 23, 2009, 10:45:04 PM
Actually it gives a character a color of someone a little more fresh-crotched, not fresh-faced. And - remember kids, there are no tampons or disposable sanitary napkins in Zalanthas. Or toilet paper. Or laundry detergent, or fabric softener. You're using raw bolts of woven cloth to wipe your ass, IF you can afford it. If you can't, you're lucky if you wipe your ass at all and don't just scrape sand on your butt to get rid of the soiling. If you're female and menstruating, you're -probably- either wadded up with cloth or leaves, OR bleeding down your pretty white new silk leggings.

Maiden is a word that just plain doesn't belong in Zalanthas, unless it's applying to a chaste, unwed, virginal noble female.

Fresh-crotched?  Remind me what's that's like again?

Does this mean I'm getting old?

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Bleeding is a lot of water lost. I wonder if  female zalanthans have adapted out of this.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on September 23, 2009, 11:15:00 PM

Bleeding is a lot of water lost. I wonder if  female zalanthans have adapted out of this.

Eww- I just thought of Dune, and their water recycling stillsuits.. They never mentioned that part..

toilet paper (n): see elf
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Gimpkapons, for when you're feeling...you know, not so fresh.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on September 24, 2009, 02:00:23 AM

toilet paper (n): see elf

lol

An "approved nouns list" makes me cringe whenever I see it. FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Seriously though, would you want the green eyed, pixie-haired dudette walking around?