Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, August 17, 2009, 01:46:01 PM

Do you like the idea?

Yes.
18 (58.1%)
No.
13 (41.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Quote from: IntuitiveApathy on August 17, 2009, 02:05:37 PM
I like it, but I think I'd not want to see an increase in damage over what weapons have now as a result.

Basically I'd like to see weapons damages lowered for these types to simulate the 'dull state' and then add on sharpening on top of that to get back to where they are today.

Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

I'm with X-D on this one. I'm not really feeling the "lets give it extra damage by keeping it sharpened all the time" idea. Seems like it would make the game a little less RP oriented, and a little more like an MMO.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Ourla on August 18, 2009, 02:26:51 PM
Quote from: IntuitiveApathy on August 17, 2009, 02:05:37 PM
I like it, but I think I'd not want to see an increase in damage over what weapons have now as a result.

Basically I'd like to see weapons damages lowered for these types to simulate the 'dull state' and then add on sharpening on top of that to get back to where they are today.

I'm so waiting for my badge to arrive in the mail!

I still think if done correctly, weapon and armour maintenance has great potential for enhancing play.  It would need to be balanced with the economics of it - is it just too much of a bother or too expensive to maintain and simply more convenient/cheaper to buy a brand new weapon?  But that's not unsolvable at all.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Having once spent a lot of time on a MUD that included mandatory weapons maintainance and sharpening bonuses, I can safely say it was the most retarded thing you have ever seen.

Maybe it can be handled realistically, but I'm perfectly comfortable with leaving this firmly in the realm of RP.

Quote from: Solifugid on August 18, 2009, 08:45:52 PM
Having once spent a lot of time on a MUD that included mandatory weapons maintainance and sharpening bonuses, I can safely say it was the most retarded thing you have ever seen.

Maybe it can be handled realistically, but I'm perfectly comfortable with leaving this firmly in the realm of RP.

I agree that it just sounds like a chore.
Lunch makes me happy.

I would like to see weapons get the same attention as armor requires. Nothing anyone can say can convince me that it's a bad idea. Frequency could be an issue, though, so on that, I'm amiable.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I would support this, as a coded RP thingy... Much the same way that I think we should have coded musical ability (opens a whole new music teacher profession, prevents instapro-musicians).  But I would be quite wary of making the dull-punishments too great, or the required maintenance to frequent.

It should be more about the statement.  Having that tiny extra edge, than a constant, coded necessity.

I like this more as an RP tool than anything else.  I wouldn't mind at all to see flags that indicate the well keeping of the blade but don't necessarily see any real reason to have it affect the damage.

Its all about the appearance.  Its what separates gith scum from Bynner lowlifes from Tor Scorpions (poor > normal > well-kept).  Presently a sword is a sword is a sword, and a shield is a shield, but a new RP tools for weapons and armors would help us give the appearances we want our characters to have without spending ridiculous amounts of time sharpening blades over and over and over.

This idea needs a whetstone.

(It's dull, for you dullards.)
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

QuotePRESSURE FLAKING- Flakes are pushed off of a preform edge using pressure from an antler or copper tipped tool.  A lot of times this is the final stage of stone tool making as the edge is straightened and sharpened and the final retouch is accomplished.

Retouching..this is the type of sharpening I was thinking of, rather than a whetstone.

Quote from: Sephiroto on August 19, 2009, 02:32:49 PM
I like this more as an RP tool than anything else.  I wouldn't mind at all to see flags that indicate the well keeping of the blade but don't necessarily see any real reason to have it affect the damage.

Its all about the appearance.  Its what separates gith scum from Bynner lowlifes from Tor Scorpions (poor > normal > well-kept).  Presently a sword is a sword is a sword, and a shield is a shield, but a new RP tools for weapons and armors would help us give the appearances we want our characters to have without spending ridiculous amounts of time sharpening blades over and over and over.

I like this idea.

Have it so that a piece of armor or a weapon that's been codedly upkept, by use of armor brushes, whetstones, judicial use of the repair skill, and said items get a nice, shiny description flag added to them, like "well kept".  Perhapse no further coded "benefit" than that.
  This way, you can tell at a glance the type of fighter a Bynner, Militia member, Tor Scorpian or Jihaen Templar might be.  Bynners have normal to shit covered items.  Militia members run the gamet of shoddy to well kept, Tor Scorpians all have that nice shiny flag (and if not, they get their asses reamed and confined to the barracks, spit shinning until their Silver can see the faces of their unborn grandchildren in it's surface, Cadet!!!!), and Jihaen's end up with the "new and shinny" flag to all their equipment, as everyone knows they just have to poke a finger into your shoulder, causing internal rupturing of the heart.  None of that bloody business needed.
  Southern Templars can look however the hell they want.  It might become the new vogue for them to walk around, wearing the desicated facial skins of the last grebber to fail to undergo the proper rites for worship of the Highlord.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Personally, I like X-D's idea best. Have the weapons be maintainable, to slow down the breaking process. This way all weapons are included, even the clubs.  I see it fit better in Arm than bonuses/penalties for how sharp weapons are.

And I disagree with anyone who thinks that weapons would/should 'look the part'. I mean, what Byn mercenary would not maintain their weapon to the highest ability they could? Their sword is their bread and butter. I really think it would be up to the individual to decide how much time they are willing to spend maintaining their weapon.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: Synthesis on August 19, 2009, 05:06:30 PM

Nowadays people look more cleverer when they don't explain their jokes/insults/puns. I'm glad you did for this one though, I'd have felt more pompous otherwise.

I want to crash into a tavern and start handing whetstones around. I'd be the whetstone-lender, with a nose for impending combat. I'd like to slide into trenches with my arms full of whetstones. Picture them like spare ammo in a war film and you've got to see the awesomeness in this idea.

Quote from: deviant storm on August 21, 2009, 11:01:47 AM
what Byn mercenary would not maintain their weapon to the highest ability they could? Their sword is their bread and butter. I really think it would be up to the individual to decide how much time they are willing to spend maintaining their weapon.

I think the idea was more that Byn mercenaries probably can't afford the same degree of high-level maintenance that a Tor Scorpion could, not that they wouldn't spend time doing it.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 25, 2009, 01:57:24 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on August 19, 2009, 05:06:30 PM

Nowadays people look more cleverer when they don't explain their jokes/insults/puns. I'm glad you did for this one though, I'd have felt more pompous otherwise.

I just couldn't resist throwing another pun in there.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I dont like the idea of having them give any coded benifit to the weapons at all.
Its moving Arm one step closer to returning it to a hack'n'slash, and Roleplay is -the- reason I play arm, If a I wanted to simply run around with all my uber kit, bashing things, I'd go back to playing World of Wierdos.

Quote from: Sephiroto on August 19, 2009, 02:32:49 PM

^^^^^^^ This, However, I can toatally get down with.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."