Random NPC vendor selling.

Started by Kol, August 06, 2009, 09:46:40 AM

The NPC vendor sells to a passer-by

I keep seeing this echo.

yet when I do, I know that the vendor still has all the stuff he listed to me before I saw this echo.

So, how about a new echo with vendors too as well as a small code-change.

The NPC vendor Buys from a passer-by.

as for the small code change.

How about when the vendor sells, a random itemfrom that shops inventory is deleted? this would add a slight touch of realism to the game, as well as a few new RP oppertunities.
For instance, you could be saving to buy that super awsome laser gun from that spaceship in tuluk. you go by every day to look at it, you fawn over it, you go and earn 'sid just to buy it.
The vendor's sold it when you got back with the 'sid. You could then sit and moan about how you have to wait for a new one to come into stock now.

When a vendor buys from a passer-by, a random item that that shop usally sells, or a rare one from it's inventory, is added.
So, two days later, that passer-by who brought you super uber laser gun, found out they really didnt like the grip, or the colourin all that much, and sell's it back.

Obviously, rare items for that shop would be removed/added a lot less times than common, semi-rare items.

I'm sure its been said before, but the fact that -only- the layerbase has an affect on the inventory's of shops, kinda gets to me, unless theres a re-boot, if you sell an item to a NPC vendor, and fill that inventory up, so that he has too many of that item to buy another one from you, I'm sure that somewhere, someone in vNPC world is going to need that item too.

I don't know if this is possable, but any comments, you know what to do.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

I like it! Also I've just recently had the misfortune of saving up for a particularly nice item, only to discover its been sold as soon as I acquired the cash. :(

First, when the npc vender sells to a vnpc, something does leave the inventory.

Second, If the npc was to buy from a vnpc this would defeat the main purpose for the npc to be selling to vnpcs, and that is restocking coin.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

August 06, 2009, 10:00:31 AM #3 Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 10:03:18 AM by musashi
What X-D said.

When the vendor sells to a passer by, an item from their inventory is randomly selected to be sold. If the item is one of the items that the vendor has an unlimited supply of (like arrows, or bags, for example) then nothing will seem to have gone missing from the inventory when you check it again.

But sometimes, the randomly selected item is not one in unlimited supply and you will notice that it's gone.

My advice for a code change, would be to let you see what the vendor actually sold; since we see that with another PC buys an item in front of us.

IE: the NPC vendor sells a slender wood arrow to a passerby.

Trust me, you would not want the arrow seller to sell one arrow to a passerby, and then suddenly be sold out of all of them until he randomly gets 1 arrow back, and then suddenly has an unlimited supply to sell you yet again.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I had an vNPC buy something I was haggling for once.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 06, 2009, 10:21:06 AM
I had an vNPC buy something I was haggling for once.
One time, a vNPC bought the first item on the merchant's list, throwing off all of his numbers as I proceeded to accidentally purchase silk garbs instead of sandcloth.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

luckily I was using a rare keyword instead of the number
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: musashi on August 06, 2009, 10:00:31 AM
My advice for a code change, would be to let you see what the vendor actually sold; since we see that with another PC buys an item in front of us.

I like this.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

August 06, 2009, 01:04:59 PM #8 Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:53:18 PM by spawnloser
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 06, 2009, 11:52:00 AM
Quote from: musashi on August 06, 2009, 10:00:31 AM

I like this.
Ditto.  This is about the only worthwhile (sorry) part of this idea so people getting things thrown off have some idea of what's going on.

Also, just to back it up, something DOES leave the merchant NPCs inventory.  Sometimes they will sell something they have multiples of, however, so you won't see any change.

(edit for grammatical accuracy to avoid confusion)
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

QuoteFirst, when the npc vender sells to a vnpc, something does leave the inventory.

I wasnt aware of this.
Thanks for the info.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."