Honestly, Solo RP Bites. Thoughts?

Started by Radnom, June 15, 2003, 02:27:26 AM

Solo RP without support of intelligent interactive code bores me to death...

Thoughts?

The think command does wonders for me...You tried it? Also, use !,%,@, and ^ to spice up your emotes and interact on different levels with npc's...It's all good though. :D

Yout bet!! just go find a PC templar and type in this

pemote moans as ~templar grabs @ groin and winks ^templar eyes.

Ohh wait.. that requires a PC.. sigh....

On a more comedic note, dont pick a char that doesnt appeal to you. If you hate the though of RPing the process of folding linen dont become a crafter etc. It's not the solo RP thats a drag, its the char.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Solo RP to some is a curse, to others it's a grudging necessity, to others they simply ignore it, and lastly to some it is something they enjoy a lot.

In one sense I agree, it certainly can be hard to find the motivation to think, solo rp, etc.  On the other hand, Think is also one of the few avenues through which major thoughts, ideas, and decisions that impact your character can be flushed out, and action taken.  It also can be invaluable for playing your character's personality out.  Lastly, on a number of occasions, just by saying what comes to my mind I've come up with all sorts of ideas for the character, dealing with personality, plots, relationships with characters/races, and much more.

So solo RP can be boring and you might not see much point to it for a long while, but keep at it, use the boredom to take risks, and eventually it can lead to good things that make you see more use and enjoyment to it.

You can make good use of solo RP time to do things your character probably wouldn't do much around groups of people.  If you can craft stuff, sit around crafting and emoting about how you're going about it.  Maybe RP taking a nap and dreaming.  Or you can just pretend to be looney and argue with yourself.  Be creative!
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Solo RP is fun, to a point. I can stand it just so long before I go nuts and things start getting uncreative. Especially if its enforced Solo RP, then you start to really lose it after a few hours of sitting around doing nada.  :shock:

However, despite the negative OOC effects of prolonged exposure to Solo RP (i'm talking prolonged here, not just an hour of it in the life of a 24 hour character) it has advantages that greatly outweigh a lot of the boredom a player can experience. You really get a chance to define your character when nobodys around. There's a phrase that goes something to the tune of "People are most themselves when they think nobody's watching" and it's true. However your character really is, usually comes out when they're alone. Just gotta express it.  8)

I don't know why anyone bothers complaining about solo RP. If it's not for you, don't do it ... I don't think the imms say you have to solo RP to be allowed to play. Take a look around the clans, get into a nice, big active clan and you're set. (Assuming you only play at peak times.) If you log in and you're not waiting to meet other folks, and you've hung around a bit with nothing to do ... log out. Otherwise you risk 'I'm bored, why don't I just try this ... *beep* Welcome to Armageddon ... I hate that, I should've just logged out' syndrome. :) Just my take.

Swordsman

Quote from: "Dakkon Black"just go find a VNPC templar and type in this

pemote moans as ~templar grabs @ groin and winks ^templar eyes.

Ohh wait.. that requires a PC..
Naawh it doesn't (edited quote to point out how it doesn't). Having a VNPC templar cut off your balls would be a blast! I mean, think of how it affects your character. Imagine How everytime you see a Templar you start shaking, or you become another templar's lackey to become safe, or you run out of the city and start up north. How can something that much fun be bad?  :lol:

I love solo-RPing. Whether it be walking down the street or getting stolen from or being mugged by the militia  :shock: I love it because it helps me get into my character. I stop seeing the keyboard and start seeing the dusty walls and dirty floor  :D