Crafting/skill idea, opinions please.

Started by gfair, June 14, 2003, 04:25:46 AM

A little while ago I was reading a thread on something to do with forraging and getting a whole bunch of items that are too big or useless for crafting what you want to make.  But if you could break down that item, you would be alright.

For example, if you wanted to make an arrowhead of a material other than flint or obsidian, perhaps granite or chitin, and you found a head-sized piece of granite, right now you're SOL.  But if you could break that down you could make the arrowhead.  Even wood, though certain sizes of wood can be broken down, I don't think it's possible from going from a board of wood and saw off a piece to make a knife, and still have 95% of the board left over.

Perhaps something like a "unit of material", basically the smallest divisible unit of material that can be used to make something useful.  There would have to be a limit as to how small that unit would be so you couldn't get a hundred flakes of flint from a head-sized piece, for example, but it would be small enough that the single unit could craft some useful implements and everything that size or smaller would consume the entire unit.  In a way, this is very similar to soap and spice, where a knot of spice or piece of soap has a certain number of uses before it's used up.

What do you think, folks?

Myrdryn's my hero...

Creeper who runs off and starts a Myrdryn Fan Club only to loose interest and leave it in the hand of some fool who lets it fall apart... Poor club.

It's a rather good idea. Like to see it after it's in place. Make crafting alot funner/useful. Hate making puny little carvings out of a whole tree trunk.
21sters Unite!