Do Zalanthas fists have chi?

Started by PurifiedDrinkingWater, July 02, 2009, 06:35:41 PM

In real life, when a half-giant thumps the anakore-skull helm on your puny desert-elf head..

oh wait, what am I saying...

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think the unarmed combat works out fine in terms of applying strength to effect, what players need to keep in mind is the realism of how they use it. Watching someone run up on someone in a fight, sheath their great axe and use unarmed to kill because in particular cases it may be more effective seems silly when pictured in my head.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I really dont understand the problem. Do you see people sheathing their weapons because they can do better while unarmed in one on one fights? No, not really. The only time it is relevent, is when it's 2+ on 1, and they're trying to get the guy alive, so those who arent using bludgeon, put it away.

The day somebody sheathes their weapons because they 'truly' believe they'll do better with fists, this conversation is moot.

Quote from: Dar on July 02, 2009, 11:59:11 PM
I really dont understand the problem. Do you see people sheathing their weapons because they can do better while unarmed in one on one fights? No, not really. The only time it is relevent, is when it's 2+ on 1, and they're trying to get the guy alive, so those who arent using bludgeon, put it away.

The day somebody sheathes their weapons because they 'truly' believe they'll do better with fists, this conversation is moot.

Have seen it. Also, you're forgetting the subdue/hit combo of ultimate death. I honestly don't mind the stun damage to the HEAD. I do not understand how the numbers are calculated logically at other locations such as waist/body/neck. Stun represents your consciousness. Not whether you're tired. A body shot wouldn't knock you out, it would drain movement so you couldn't move. Let body shots drain movement instead of stun.

July 03, 2009, 12:15:25 AM #29 Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 12:19:03 AM by Is Friday
Quote from: PurifiedDrinkingWater on July 03, 2009, 12:08:35 AM
Quote from: Dar on July 02, 2009, 11:59:11 PM

Have seen it. Also, you're forgetting the subdue/hit combo of ultimate death. I honestly don't mind the stun damage to the HEAD. I do not understand how the numbers are calculated logically at other locations such as waist/body/neck. Stun represents your consciousness. Not whether you're tired. A body shot wouldn't knock you out, it would drain movement so you couldn't move. Let body shots drain movement instead of stun.
If you're afraid of subdue/hit, you obviously haven't seen subdue/AXE CHOPPING YOU IN HALF.

edit: I've been kicked in the ribs so hard it knocked me on my ass with the wind knocked out of me. You can bet if he'd followed up with a punch to the head I'd have gotten knocked out. I don't see why it's so bad to have stun to reflect a few generalized things.

K I S S
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I think it works as it should. Most characters in game who have good fistfighting skills are on par with the modern world's professional boxers. Most characters are quite strong after all, even the merchants. And while I've seen a few fresh characters getting KO'ed by fists, I've seen 5-day characters get KO'ed in three hits by a club. It works like it should.

Heheh, to make it more realistic, I suppose an unskilled man punching someone should deal a little stun damage to themselves. Punching bone hurts.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I stopped reading after a while.  Have you ever been in a real fist-fight?  It's not like boxing.  In boxing they pad your head and they pad your opponents fists.  In a real fist-fight, neither are all that well padded and you can get knocked silly pretty quick.

I do believe that KO time in Arm is a bit broken, but how fast you can get KO'd is not.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on July 03, 2009, 05:26:42 AM
I stopped reading after a while.  Have you ever been in a real fist-fight?  It's not like boxing.  In boxing they pad your head and they pad your opponents fists.  In a real fist-fight, neither are all that well padded and you can get knocked silly pretty quick.

I do believe that KO time in Arm is a bit broken, but how fast you can get KO'd is not.

Of course, when you get punched in the head. Not the body, not the neck, not the waist. Also, these characters are heavily armored. I am basing my posts off the worst case scenario. The code is simply broken. How you can do 50 stun to my body through a breastplate is beyond my understanding. Hell, I could wear boiled leather and you wouldn't do ANY damage to my body with a fist.

Hence my belief that Zalanthans have dragonball z fists. :P

Quote from: SMuz on July 03, 2009, 03:22:32 AM
I think it works as it should. Most characters in game who have good fistfighting skills are on par with the modern world's professional boxers. Most characters are quite strong after all, even the merchants. And while I've seen a few fresh characters getting KO'ed by fists, I've seen 5-day characters get KO'ed in three hits by a club. It works like it should.

Heheh, to make it more realistic, I suppose an unskilled man punching someone should deal a little stun damage to themselves. Punching bone hurts.

That's fine, I make no argument against well-skilled unarmed fighters, but that doesn't exist. Unarmed simply pulls from your strength stat and then the 'hit' damage type drains insane amount of stun. So you get any bum PC with high strength will do well in unarmed which I simply don't agree with. Give me an unarmed skill.

Quote from: PurifiedDrinkingWater on July 03, 2009, 12:06:25 PM

That's fine, I make no argument against well-skilled unarmed fighters, but that doesn't exist. Unarmed simply pulls from your strength stat and then the 'hit' damage type drains insane amount of stun. So you get any bum PC with high strength will do well in unarmed which I simply don't agree with. Give me an unarmed skill.

Unarmed skill coming up in Armageddon 2.0

Quote from: PurifiedDrinkingWater on July 03, 2009, 12:06:25 PM

This just isn't true at all.  You think it's true because you've never played or seen someone whose base defense was so high that they could dodge effectively.  Strength -looks- like it owns all because most people don't have a good enough defense to be untouchable, so those heavy hits land.  It is possible to become so good at unarmed fighting that you can knock people out before they ever manage to land a blow on you with WEAPONS.  However, this takes around a good 30 days of practice, practice, practice.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Syn is correct, with the caveat that while it is possible, it is not safe, and that while the role that offense plays in such a thing is high, it is still not the end all - two other stats play a decent part.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

In Zalanthas, fists have chi.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Quote from: Olgaris on July 04, 2009, 12:55:20 AM

And the staff has spoken.

Zalanthan fists have chi, there for, all the seemingly impossibly strong hits we've taken by unarmed opponents are justified.

Prepare for a barrage of future "Jackie Chan" and "Jet Li"-esque characters.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on July 04, 2009, 05:45:16 AM
Quote from: Olgaris on July 04, 2009, 12:55:20 AM

And the staff has spoken.

Zalanthan fists have chi, there for, all the seemingly impossibly strong hits we've taken by unarmed opponents are justified.

Prepare for a barrage of future "Jackie Chan" and "Jet Li"-esque characters.

Heh, a long time ago, a friend and I special-apped a city-elf burglar and pickpocket kung-fu fighting team/mini-tribe.  Supposedly we were got our base O/D boosted really high, but on the condition that we could only -ever- fight unarmed, because it was a matter of pride for the tribe.

My buddy died to the first PC he got in a fight with, before my special app. even cleared the queue.  >:(
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Shoulda worn some cestus or knuckles. Both would have counted as unarmed, for IC purposes of 'fighting unarmed'. A weapon always seemed to me to be a stick or something more.

Still, excellent example of the futility in relying on unarmed combat in a general sense.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If I were a coder, what would I base the damage message on? Possibly HP.. So, let's assume;

The sword does 30 points of damage. For sword, 90% is converted to hp damage, 5% to stun. 5% is lost. You receive a 'solid slash' message, lose 27 hp and 2 stun.

The club does 30 points of damage. For club, 30% is converted to hp damage, 60% to stun, 10% is lost. You receive a 'bludgeoning' message, lose 9 hp and 18 stun.

The fist does 30 points of damage. For unarmed, 10% is converted to hp damage, 70% to stun, 20% is lost. You receive a 'nick' message, lose 3 hp and 21 stun.

Maybe, just maybe, the hit is still as strong but the message is based on only hp damage?

Note: I'm just assuming.. If I were the coder of the MUD, that could be what I would have done. I don't have any evidence and I barely have any experience with combat code.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

Quote from: evil_erdlu on July 10, 2009, 02:19:26 PM
Maybe, just maybe, the hit is still as strong but the message is based on only hp damage?

Note: I'm just assuming.. If I were the coder of the MUD, that could be what I would have done. I don't have any evidence and I barely have any experience with combat code.

You are correct, damage messages are only based on the amount of hp damage.  You can take a lot of stun damage from a 'nick' because the hps were low but the stun damage was high.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff