Cover Command

Started by Zoltan, June 22, 2009, 02:50:19 PM

Quote from: elvenchipmunk on June 22, 2009, 09:47:55 PM
I like Synthesis' block idea. In addition to this, if you want to be covered from different directions, people who are following/guarding you could block the other directions, and in doing so could form a sort of block in which folks would be relatively safe from arrows.

Combine it with guard:  if you "block north" and "guard merchant," you will block projectiles from the north that are coming at you or the merchant.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 22, 2009, 09:51:59 PM
Quote from: elvenchipmunk on June 22, 2009, 09:47:55 PM
I like Synthesis' block idea. In addition to this, if you want to be covered from different directions, people who are following/guarding you could block the other directions, and in doing so could form a sort of block in which folks would be relatively safe from arrows.

Combine it with guard:  if you "block north" and "guard merchant," you will block projectiles from the north that are coming at you or the merchant.

Thumbs up.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: X-D on June 22, 2009, 07:47:55 PM
Have you checked this recently Morg?

I mean, since the last shield use overhall, I've NEVER seen a projectile blocked unless the PC had the parry skill and had the skill pretty high. And they had the same odds of swiping the projectile with the shield as they did with a dagger.

Looking at the code, parrying missile weapons should only be the purvey of true masters of parrying.

Shield use is something that anybody can do, and there are things you can do to improve your odds, as I've said before.  I've double checked and tested, even against a master archer from a room a way, a master of shield use using their shield as defensively as possible and being as aware of the archer as possible is able to stop the majority of the arrows coming from the archer.

IMO, the parry/shield use portion of missile weapons is working just fine.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I agree with Morgenes on this one, having been on the wrong end of missle fire lately.  A character with a decent shield skill is very, very hard to strike with an arrow, especially if they are aware of the attacks.  And that was just in the off hand.

Lol, are you guys using proper arrow-blocking shields or the tiny 200-sid ones?

Realistically, you shouldn't be able to parry an arrow with a sword at all. Unless you're really lucky, and even then it should strike your hand instead of your head and such. I dare someone to find a RL military tactic where soldiers are trained to block arrows with a sword ;)
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Morgenes on June 22, 2009, 10:38:00 PM

I mean, since the last shield use overhall, I've NEVER seen a projectile blocked unless the PC had the parry skill and had the skill pretty high. And they had the same odds of swiping the projectile with the shield as they did with a dagger.

Looking at the code, parrying missile weapons should only be the purvey of true masters of parrying.

Shield use is something that anybody can do, and there are things you can do to improve your odds, as I've said before.  I've double checked and tested, even against a master archer from a room a way, a master of shield use using their shield as defensively as possible and being as aware of the archer as possible is able to stop the majority of the arrows coming from the archer.

Morg,

Is it currently possible to block missile weapons being fired at the person you are guarding? I've been told that the code allows for this, but I can't say I've ever seen it happen, despite trying often.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

IF the watch command isn't already affecting how good you are at blocking arrows, it should be.

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL IDEA AT HAND!

I would love to be able to hunker down on the north side of a boulder while archers are flinging missles from the south.

Quote from: Fathi on June 23, 2009, 04:10:05 AM
Quote from: Morgenes on June 22, 2009, 10:38:00 PM

Morg,

Is it currently possible to block missile weapons being fired at the person you are guarding? I've been told that the code allows for this, but I can't say I've ever seen it happen, despite trying often.

I don't see anything that would give guards a chance to block missile fire for the person they're guarding, although I agree that's a good idea.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 23, 2009, 05:17:02 AM
IF the watch command isn't already affecting how good you are at blocking arrows, it should be.

Find out IC, although I gave hints above that might lead you to that idea.

Quote from: Morgenes...and being as aware of the archer as possible...
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Oh.

Right.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: SMuz on June 23, 2009, 02:53:37 AM
Realistically, you shouldn't be able to parry an arrow with a sword at all. Unless you're really lucky, and even then it should strike your hand instead of your head and such. I dare someone to find a RL military tactic where soldiers are trained to block arrows with a sword ;)

LOL ARAGORN DID IT