Thoughts, questions, suggestions from a professional noob

Started by Tamalak, June 12, 2003, 01:25:25 AM

QuoteRP would be more flexible if emotes/says circumvented the command queue. For example, if I wanted to navigate one of Tuluk’s endless streets, I might type ‘north’ seven times all at once and wait for my character to walk the distance. But if I saw someone familiar on the way, I would be able to, say, wave to him as I walked past.

This wouldn't work at all. Do to the way commands go through on just about any MUD I know. If you send if five commands, they are put into a que basically. Although mostly they are left floating there until the mud comes back, and they go into the MUD in the order that you sent in. No matter what. So you type north five times. Even without any lag and you tried to 'say' or 'emote' it WON'T go through. Because according to the MUD you already typed north five times.

It'd be some complex code adding into the loop in order to accept commands before hand, and then make it so some commands can intercept before another command and such. Probably why I've NEVER seen it on any MUD... Or any other online, or even other text based games, be very complex. Solve this by NOT speed walking... Or jamming in a bunch of different commands.

Heck... Over all it's too much of a problem then. But in combat when you get involved it gets much much worse. Just typing in some combat command it can take ALONG time before you are able to flee... Either end up hurting the other person or have troubles getting out... And if you put in multiple commands that have lag... It can be really dangerous.

Hmm... Overall... Think Armageddon WOULD be good for you. As for OOC interaction for questions. As it's been answered... The GDB here, along with the helpers are a big help. And being able to read the helpfiles through the webpage isntead of needing to be logged in is a big help. And it's JUST off of the main page so easy to find. SHRUG... As to other things... It's becomes a minor inconvience for things that would be rather difficult to change, not too benificial... Or is that way because the other options are worse.

BTW, I'm the general confuse the fuck out of people person on the GDB, but if you need questions answered... I think me, AC(Angela Christine I think? Maybe Ankle Cruncher, SHRUG) and John are better to ask. Hehe. Just because we are super beings superiour to everyone else. Discounting any spelling/grammar mistakes I have do to laziness.

Creeper says, "Meh-Haa! Welcome to Armageddon shall you decide to stay."
21sters Unite!

QuoteDiscounting any spelling/grammar mistakes I have do to laziness.

Consider it graciously ignored.   :D
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I have seen a mud that doesn't induce lag to a character over all things...there could be different queues for things.  Movement having its own queue and emotes having another, etc.  I would assume that this would encounter a major problem in that it would probably require a overhaul of how a bunch of the code works.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "creeper386"This wouldn't work at all. Do to the way commands go through on just about any MUD I know. If you send if five commands, they are put into a que basically. Although mostly they are left floating there until the mud comes back, and they go into the MUD in the order that you sent in. No matter what. So you type north five times. Even without any lag and you tried to 'say' or 'emote' it WON'T go through. Because according to the MUD you already typed north five times.

That's a good point, and although I've seen there be seperate queues on other games, they weren't diku-family codebase.

If I could make a wish, I would like to see say/tell/whisper/ooc usable even when in built-up movement lag.  There's plenty of non-threatening situations in which you're following someone faster than yourself and can't even 'say Slow down.' or 'ooc Oops I'm still hitched to you.' or 'tell boopsie Stop! I think that was Lord Fancypants back there in that alley.'  Oh...add 'follow self' and 'emote/pemote' to that list of commands I think would be good to have usable in movement lag.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

From what I've seen... Diku isn't very great in terms of how it controls multiple commands. Over the years the code has remained basic, as nothing special is grandly important.

Although I would like to see some things work through lag, which I think would be quite plausible, though might have alot of manual work. It's be much more worthwhile then the overhaul needed, and probably more useful.

I think that little bit helps keep down spam commands/speed walking. Even though I still speed walk I'm REALLY careful of where and how.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "creeper386"but if you need questions answered... I think me, AC(Angela Christine I think? Maybe Ankle Cruncher, SHRUG) and John are better to ask. Hehe. Just because we are super beings superiour to everyone else.

What????  :shock:  :shock:  Pungee is not included in this list? :shock:  :shock:  That's it. I'm sending my legions of Purple Penguins and their Pet Templar after you.  :twisted:

Keep hiding behind anonymity, twinkie; it makes your argument so much the stronger.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

There was nothing twinkish about it! :shock:

Why don't you go ahead an say why it was? :?

Realistically people would attack when someone is too worn out to fight back effectively it's a damned good tactic.
If that's twinkish then so is killing someone in their sleep...

No different. :!:

May be time to close this tread. It seems to have gone off topic a bit.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Yes, it's definitely degrading into rather disappointing flames.  Let's try to avoid "you're a ****" style comments.

Firstly, I would like to express the fact I am somewhat bothered by crymerci's and lazloths posts.

Lazloth, you know he has to post anon if his char is alive otherwise you crymerci and others would lay into him about posting IC info.

Crymerci, for shame, Tamalak freely admits that:
Quote5. My character was asking for it. He was rude, gullible, weakly armed, and flaunted obsidian coins.

And so, if the player who's char killed his was doing so IN CHAR, then that means he was ROLE PLAYING, and last I saw, thats what kind of mud this is.

I would have done the same if I had the type of char that would do such a thing.

I came darn close to doing something like that last night when coming across a pair who's races my char hates, But they would have been no challenge and so, for my current char it would have been NOT in char to attack them. It all depends on the ROLE you are PLAYING.

Wow, ok, very odd, hit submit and it added quote, quote, sigh, the section in green under the code heading is my comments and is not supposed to be in the quote.

Quote from: "Aghast"Firstly, I would like to express the fact I am somewhat bothered by crymerci's and lazloths posts.

Lazloth, you know he has to post anon if his char is alive otherwise you crymerci and others would lay into him about posting IC info.

Crymerci, for shame, Tamalak freely admits that:

Actually, since Tamalak's character is dead, our anonymous killer would not be giving anything away, since the only witness to who the killer was is, once again, dead.

As far as Tamalak admitting anything, I did read what he said.  However, I am still allowed (I hope) to form and express my own opinions.  :)
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

You are, crymerci, but I gotta agree with Tamalak...tiring someone out can be done in real life, so why not on the mud?  No, wait, it can be done on the mud...so why is it using ooc knowledge?  Maybe because we know that someone can get tired in real life?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Enough with the flames; I've deleted some posts. If I see more of the same (and yes, I know who the anonymous poster is), I'll start removing board privileges.

This was a great thread initially, and the source of a lot of good ideas. Thanks for posting the good feedback - we always need it.