New subguild idea: Not-Born-Yesterday

Started by Thunkkin, June 04, 2009, 11:34:05 PM

June 04, 2009, 11:34:05 PM Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:36:48 PM by Thunkkin
This idea is inspired by some recent discussions and is tongue-in-cheek ... yet ... I'd probably end up using it at some point or another:

Subguild Not-Born-Yesterday
Those who weren't born yesterday have lived a life which has included doing the things that most Zalanthans do on a daily basis since childhood  Not-Born-Yesterdays are able to prepare food for themselves without destroying it hundreds of times.  Their rich knowledge of basic cooking allows them to know that leaving meat in the fire until it is a blackened crisp is not a good idea.  They have a knack for cutting fruit with a simple sharp object.  Not-Born-Yesterdays also have had basic social interaction in the past and know how to contact their friends or enemies just like everyone else in Zalanthas.  Having previously entered stores to buy things and existed in a basic society, as well having a means of sensing the world around them in at least some way, they have the ability to observe simple objects and realize that a barrel cannot fit in a small box, that metal is probably more valuable than a handful of sand, and that a loreshi reed is not worth three large.  Additionally, they know how to sit in a saddle and use reins to guide an animal around, just like your average eight-year-old can manage when placed on a horse for the first time.

In fact ... I'd totally pick this for some char concepts.  It would allow newbies to discover the game world without feeling like complete idiots (just mostly idiots), veterans to chose to forego some niftier skills in favor of skipping some boring kalan-burning-beetle-riding-in-circle-contact-spamming grinding, and those who tend to play short-lived chars to actually be able to play chars who don't seem oddly, mentally deficient at basic life-tasks.

What think ye?
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Good laughs in there.  :D
Lunch makes me happy.

Increased contact/barrier, ride, and cook, along with the value skill?

Basically that means just the value skill for an entire subclass, because the others increase very quickly anyway.  (Note that for most people, cooking caps at an aggravatingly low level, so you might still be frustrated.)

I seriously doubt anyone would pick this.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I'm pretty sure this is a satirical idea meant to emphasize the fact that cooking, contact and riding should be easier for all characters. I apologize if the above post is a satirical response that has gone over my head.  ::)
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Personally, I think certain skills should be global, especially climb, haggle, and value.  Probably skinning.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 05, 2009, 12:26:04 AM
Personally, I think certain skills should be global, especially climb, haggle, and value.  Probably skinning.

As I said, it was mostly tongue-in-cheek.  Not quite barbed (or serious) enough to be true satire.  Obviously, such a thing wouldn't be designed for those of you who are into the "Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pwnage" approach.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I'd pick this, especially for a grizzled dungsweeper character or beggar.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Joke post is posted in wrong forum.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I like this idea.  A lot.  It would fix so many problems...

Quote from: Thunkkin on June 04, 2009, 11:34:05 PM
This idea is inspired by some recent discussions and is tongue-in-cheek ... yet ... I'd probably end up using it at some point or another:

Subguild Not-Born-Yesterday
Those who weren't born yesterday have lived a life which has included doing the things that most Zalanthans do on a daily basis since childhood  Not-Born-Yesterdays are able to prepare food for themselves without destroying it hundreds of times.  Their rich knowledge of basic cooking allows them to know that leaving meat in the fire until it is a blackened crisp is not a good idea.  They have a knack for cutting fruit with a simple sharp object.  Not-Born-Yesterdays also have had basic social interaction in the past and know how to contact their friends or enemies just like everyone else in Zalanthas.  Having previously entered stores to buy things and existed in a basic society, as well having a means of sensing the world around them in at least some way, they have the ability to observe simple objects and realize that a barrel cannot fit in a small box, that metal is probably more valuable than a handful of sand, and that a loreshi reed is not worth three large.  Additionally, they know how to sit in a saddle and use reins to guide an animal around, just like your average eight-year-old can manage when placed on a horse for the first time.

In fact ... I'd totally pick this for some char concepts.  It would allow newbies to discover the game world without feeling like complete idiots (just mostly idiots), veterans to chose to forego some niftier skills in favor of skipping some boring kalan-burning-beetle-riding-in-circle-contact-spamming grinding, and those who tend to play short-lived chars to actually be able to play chars who don't seem oddly, mentally deficient at basic life-tasks.

What think ye?

I've actually had some PCs that I would have picked this for before.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I simply thing cooking, riding, contact, and barter should be somethign everyone know, and isn't shitty while starting.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 06, 2009, 12:57:42 AM
I simply thing cooking, riding, contact, and barter should be somethign everyone know, and isn't shitty while starting.

This.

Also, I would like to see it where either a) all pc's could have 5 items in their inventory, or b) you could make bundles of kindling/fires with less than that number of items.

You don't have to be superbly dextrous or strong to build a fire.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I'd rather that you could just build a fire with one wood. I gave up on making a coded fire with non-humans and certain classes that suck at foraging. When I need a fire, I just emote gathering some twigs and building a fire. A little twinkish, but so is eating raw meat.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on June 06, 2009, 03:19:17 AM
I'd rather that you could just build a fire with one wood. I gave up on making a coded fire with non-humans and certain classes that suck at foraging. When I need a fire, I just emote gathering some twigs and building a fire. A little twinkish, but so is eating raw meat.

True, but then you can also use fire for other things, like light. And it really sucks when you can't build them.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.