Today's word - aquiline

Started by Salt Merchant, May 31, 2009, 03:02:19 AM

Quote from: MarshallDFX on June 14, 2009, 06:05:09 PM
This thread is making me extremely self-conscious.

Honestly, just play to have fun and don't worry about the minutiae.  We're all here to have a good time.  With full respect to the many brilliant writers that inhabit our shared world - at the end of the day, as long as I understand what you're trying to convey, and vice versa, it's all good.   ;) 
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

It's "mother lode," dear people, not "mother load."

(Lode is "an ore deposit."  Mother lode is "what the heathens stole from us in the Copper War.")
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

"Opportunities", not "Oppurtunities".

"Definitely", not "definately".
Lunch makes me happy.

I heard a character who I greatly admire and love RPing with say this... but...

Its congratulations, not congradulations.  :-*
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

I see the things I typo sometimes right after I hit enter and they really makes me want to cry.

Glad you all still love me, though. :(
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

> talk (smarmily) Reins.

Today's word - slightly

You can't "Conquerz the world slightly, while slightly deliv3ring a deathblowz to your face."
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

Lightly, slightly, faintly, a little. 

I'm slightly guilty of this.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 28, 2009, 06:32:08 PM
Lightly, slightly, faintly, a little. 

I'm slightly guilty of this.

Same. I always verb something adverbly, because I think "smiling" is just so banal. But then, the time it takes to add in something about my hair, or moving a leg up on the chair, seems like wasted keystrokes sometimes.

=\
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

You can avoid adverbs by using analogies and metaphors and other little writing tricks.

Instead of: Smiling lightly, the boring man says, "Whatever."

Do this: Smiling as thin as the ice you'd be skating on if the weather wasn't way too hot for ice, the other man says, "Indeed."

Or this: With a smile brightening his face, yet another guy says, "Yup."

I really dislike "slightly" overall and try not to use it, myself.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I like the occasional metaphor to spice up things too, Gimf. But I do hate it when someone only emotes in metaphors. And especially when they get really specific. My least favorite, not to offend anyone, is when people ask questions in their emotes.

The tressy-tressed woman smiles wistfully... is that regret shining in her eyes as she laughs mirthlessly about a fading memory?

I prefer more literal roleplay. And too often those emotes give away what's going on in a conversation when it shouldn't. Like...

The fat greedy trader's eyes pop out in wonder as you ask him for a discount.

If you're a desert elf watching who has come to the city to trade and speaks no sirihish, you shouldn't know that I just asked for a discount. Or that the tressy-tressed woman is laughing mirthlessly about a fading memory.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on June 28, 2009, 10:11:25 PM
Do this: Smiling as thin as the ice you'd be skating on if the weather wasn't way too hot for ice, the other man says, "Indeed."

I got account noted for doing stuff like that before.  Not that I care personally what you do, since obviously I like outlandish emotes (to a certain degree).  But, you know.  Just saying.  For the record.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on June 29, 2009, 01:23:35 AM

I got account noted for doing stuff like that before.  Not that I care personally what you do, since obviously I like outlandish emotes (to a certain degree).  But, you know.  Just saying.  For the record.

Yeah, I've gotten a finger-wag about using metaphors and similes in emotes as well. Personally I think they're great, but like Laura says, do so at your own risk.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on June 29, 2009, 01:49:22 AM

Yeah, I've gotten a finger-wag about using metaphors and similes in emotes as well. Personally I think they're great, but like Laura says, do so at your own risk.

Ooh, I'm having an anticipatory cringe for when I'll see my account notes again months from now.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

June 29, 2009, 02:16:01 AM #114 Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 02:53:22 AM by HTX
Quote from: FathiYeah, I've gotten a finger-wag about using metaphors and similes in emotes as well. Personally I think they're great, but like Laura says, do so at your own risk.

Hmmm, I can't figure it out... what's wrong with metaphors/similes? Maybe if they were completely silly and/or "jarring"... but otherwise...?

But, you know.  Just saying.  For the record.

Well, for the record, LauraMars and Fathi are two of the more entertaining RPers I know. Yes, sometimes I've seen you both go a little too far, but I'd rather see that than yet another:

em nods lightly
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: HTX on June 29, 2009, 02:16:01 AM
Quote from: FathiYeah, I've gotten a finger-wag about using metaphors and similes in emotes as well. Personally I think they're great, but like Laura says, do so at your own risk.

Hmmm, I can't figure it out... what's wrong with metaphors/similes? Maybe if they were completely silly and/or "jarring"... but otherwise...?

I don't have the email anymore, but the general gist of the message was that metaphors and similes are too subjective and that emotes should be restricted to objective actions because other PCs might interpret your actions differently.

I didn't get bad account notes for it or anything, it was just pointed out in the general course of player-staff email. I toned it down a bit. Life went on.

I use those types of emotes when I am -purposefully- trying to be goofy. When I want the -player- of the character reading it, to be entertained, even if my character is not trying to entertain the other character. Often, this happens during "love scenes:"

ooc Okay to fade?
ooc Yeah.
emote tears her clothing off and pounces on ~man, not unlike when a halfling pounces on his prey. Unlike said halfling, ^me giggles and makes sure !man has as much fun being ridden as she is having riding !man.

ooc okay we're one.
ooc good for you?
ooc yeah you?
ooc yeah
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on June 29, 2009, 06:58:30 AM
I use those types of emotes when I am -purposefully- trying to be goofy. When I want the -player- of the character reading it, to be entertained, even if my character is not trying to entertain the other character. Often, this happens during "love scenes:"

This. I knew I had forgotten something in my post.

em nods at ~lizzie slightly.

Today's word: poltroon.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 29, 2009, 07:44:42 AM
Today's word: poltroon.

Tregil is slightly easier. Jozhal is as useful as ice in Zalanthas if the weather allowed for any.

Quote from: Lizzie on June 29, 2009, 06:58:30 AM

Ah yeah, same here. Also when my character is really drunk, it tends to pull those kind of emotes out of me. You just get in the goofy, whacked-out mindset.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

"You, suh, are a coward, a scoundrel, and a yellow-bellied poltroon."

Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

June 30, 2009, 05:38:56 PM #124 Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 05:44:32 PM by Versu
Pearl, pearling, pearled.

Usages not found on dictionary.com

The speckled patterning of a birds feathers.

Such as my beatiful pearl cockatiel.

Subsurface piercings.... Implants placed under the skin to raise the texture and modify appearance.

Such as my beatiful pearled penis.

Anyways... Too much info! haha.

Edited to say:

That I think pearling should be allowed to define mottled skin and uneven, pearl-like patterning.

Yar!