The man [CREATING] is sleeping here.

Started by SMuz, April 17, 2009, 12:44:34 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't like the [CREATING] tag being slapped onto the sdesc/ldesc of a character? I find it immensely jarring, if anything. Even for a quick fix, it would be nice if it was a bit more subtle. "The man (creating) is sleeping here" is certainly better than in capital letters.

I know that you should be able to tell if someone is busy writing their bio to avoid interrupting them. But I'd rather have it more like a gone message in that case, where you get notified if you try to Way or tell them something.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

MY IMMERSION!!!
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

The thing I find humorous is when they start adding a tdesc or posting a rumor board message:

The tall muscular man begins writing a message.

HE CAN READ AND WRITE! GET HIM!
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on April 17, 2009, 03:02:41 AM
The thing I find humorous is when they start adding a tdesc or posting a rumor board message:

The tall muscular man begins writing a message.

HE CAN READ AND WRITE! GET HIM!
Lol, I actually thought the same thing when I first came across it. I was like "??? why are u guys just ignoring him? wait, he's sleeping and writing a message? bah, i'm going to bug/typo/idea it"

Also, while on the topic of boards and immersions, the way taverns have this "there is a wall with writing on it board".. it's not really very IC. But other games have a "there is a group of people discussing stuff" in replacement of a board. I don't find it much better when you look at people and a whole board pops up.
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Is this really a big deal? The [CREATING] tag is, of course, as you note, a way to let others know that you're busy with the editor. The "begins writing a message" is to note to people in the same room that a player has become busy with the editor without them having to press 'look' and see the tag. Maybe change it to, "emote begins using the editor"? In any case, something should be there.

I mean, I get your point, but it is how it is. Occasionally you see an emote like: "The tall, muscular man begins reading the Allanaki message board, looking for a job." "The tall, muscular man pulls out his handy-dandy pen and writes a note on the Tuluki message board." They're just a confused newbie. Personally I would just do "emote looks over to ~board, which is actually a group of gossipers chatting, and he listens to them" or something similar.

I believe the reason that the tag is there is to let people know that the person literally cannot respond to interaction until they are finished with whatever editor they are in.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on April 17, 2009, 08:52:08 AM
I believe the reason that the tag is there is to let people know that the person literally cannot respond to interaction until they are finished with whatever editor they are in.

Am I mistaken in thinking there is now a way to emote and respond while in the text editor?  I used to know what the command was and tested it out IG successfully... "/something emote blah," maybe.  I agree that the [CREATING] tag is jarring.  I've had people go OOC more than once to ask my PCs what they heck they're doing.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on April 17, 2009, 10:11:40 AM

Am I mistaken in thinking there is now a way to emote and respond while in the text editor?  I used to know what the command was and tested it out IG successfully... "/something emote blah," maybe.  I agree that the [CREATING] tag is jarring.  I've had people go OOC more than once to ask my PCs what they heck they're doing.

There is. You will remain in the editor, but you will not be able to respond to situations as you would if you were not writing. I believe it is perfectly fine the way it is - It catches the attention of others and lets them know that you are busy.

May I suggest doing these things in more private areas, and having them prewritten so you can copy and paste?

This minimalizes the amount of time you would encounter a problem with not being able to respond to others.

Barrier is another.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on April 17, 2009, 10:36:46 AM
Barrier is another.

It's impossible to Way someone who's in the text editor anyway.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Eternal Strife on April 17, 2009, 10:20:47 AM
Quote from: Ourla on April 17, 2009, 10:11:40 AM

There is. You will remain in the editor, but you will not be able to respond to situations as you would if you were not writing. I believe it is perfectly fine the way it is - It catches the attention of others and lets them know that you are busy.

Well so there is!  A bright idea, that one.  Per the helpfile:

QuoteEditor                                                            (General)

The online text editor is a relatively simple device that is used to
store long input from users.  Commands are only recognized when entered on
a new / blank line.  The following commands are available:

SNIP
   .x <command>
     Execute the following <command>.

== >bio add testing
Write your biography entry.  Remember to SAVE afterward.
Text Editor: (16384 character maximum) [create mode]
Type .h on a new line for help.  Terminate with '~' or .q on a new line.
[---|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----]

-> .x emote nods.
Nyr nods.

-> .x sit
You sit down.

So you can do some things, but you can't do this:

-> .x say (with a grin)This is a badass command
-> .s
Text so far:

->

The more you knowtm.  I also echo FantasyWriter in the suggestion to write up board posts in advance in another editor.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

April 17, 2009, 11:00:59 AM #14 Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 11:03:57 AM by FantasyWriter
Can you add bios from the ">change locdesc" scar room?

That pulls you out of the game so you wouldn't be where you could be seen, or at least I think it does..
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Uh ... you can talk while in the editor.

I've done it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: FantasyWriter on April 17, 2009, 11:00:59 AM

That pulls you out of the game so you wouldn't be where you could be seen, or at least I think it does..

It would be REALLY nice if there was the option of a "bio-writing" room. Sometimes I can cut off whatever I'm writing and just get to the game, but it would be nice to have a room where you were outside of the game. Then people couldn't Way you, you wouldn't have to worry about hunger/thirst interrupting your writing, and there's the potential to make it so bios could be added after death (although I think that after death previous bios should be impossible to revise, without a request or something.)
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: SMuz on April 17, 2009, 12:44:34 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't like the [CREATING] tag being slapped onto the sdesc/ldesc of a character? I find it immensely jarring, if anything. Even for a quick fix, it would be nice if it was a bit more subtle. "The man (creating) is sleeping here" is certainly better than in capital letters.

If I am not mistaken, just as well as some clients allow you to apply colors, they also allow you to edit some words to your liking.

Quote from: Eternal Strife on April 17, 2009, 10:40:19 PM
If I am not mistaken, just as well as some clients allow you to apply colors, they also allow you to edit some words to your liking.
Ah, cool. I forgot about that :P

Quote from: FantasyWriter on April 17, 2009, 11:00:59 AM

Yes.

That is where I write all my bios. It's easier to do it there because you won't get interrupted, and less jarring, because others don't have to look at the tag and your PC just sitting there.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.