When I Was a Newbie...

Started by Archbaron, April 13, 2009, 06:28:24 PM

Quote from: Bushranger on April 27, 2009, 08:26:29 AM
Edit: The thing I'm talking about looked like one thing, but when you looked in it you found out more than you really wanted to know about it.

i can imagine it is more than 10 years old stuff

can you just tell us what it was?
some of my posts are serious stuff

Bushranger, I remember that thing.  I usually encountered it on the road heading west from Nak, as I remember.  It would be awesome, awesome, awesome to see that come back.

I know its the right time period because the character that encountered it, Kentar, hung a bit with Flower and another mul  named Stix.   I still remember a time up in old Tuluk where Flower emoted picking his teeth with a dagger.  That image has always stayed with me.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

WHAT WAS THAT THING?!?!?!?

ARRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It was probably red and sandy.

I'm scared of the things that go bump in the dunes.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Hah, um, I think I know what it is, but last time I posted about a creature on zalanthas, I pretty much revealed Kryl to the playerbase :( So I'll say nothing.

What's Kryl?  ???
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Ourla on April 25, 2009, 01:20:35 PM
When I was a noob I thought you could only forage once in each room.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

WHAT IS THAT THING

what is WROTNG with this kjeyboard

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Tried to befriend a halfling. And because it's a roleplaying game, I proceeded to type a rather long emote after entering the room that little bugger was in. Plus, he had a friend in an adjacent room. I still wonder how they split all that meat.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

When I was a newb.
- I walked up hill both ways to morning sparring.

-    First character was an assassin. Logged in, said "This game sucks." and went LD. Logged back in 3 months later (and 700 coins lighter. Someone was busy up until the mud crashed.) I was in Red Storm. I was, of course, a most deadly and feared assassin. The first PC I met, upon realizing what an extraordinary asset I was, sold me a flint knife and offered me a 1,000 sid to off Lord, or Lord Templar so and so. He gave me crude directions to Nak. After a long sleep in the desert (to raise my stam back up), I finally made it!.... into the rinth.
     It wasn't long at all before I was ganked by a few NPCs back when they would stop savagely beating the shit out of you when you went to the negative healths and wait for your ass to wake up before continuing. Luckily a PC rescued me and dragged me back to the Folley. He said he saved my life, and thus I owed him. He asked me what my talents were. Not wanting to spill the beans on my deadly mission at hand, I told him I was a great house-keeper and excellent sweeper. He killed me for being a smart-ass.
     Cue relentless string of short-lived assassins.

Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 02, 2009, 12:47:10 PM
     Cue relentless string of short-lived assassins.
Amen.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

I wish I could find some newbs I could pay to make probably useless attempts at killing templars. CONSTANTLY. That would be fun.

When I was a newbie:

- I made my first character in Tuluk even though the guy who introduced me to Arm (a co-staffer from another mud) told me to make in Allanak so he could help me out. So we created an elaborate plan to smuggle her to Allanak wearing a mask (to hide the tattoo on her face) and say she was a disgustingly ugly mute. He died to a poisonous plant the next day.

- I had a long run of very boring characters who had zero exciting adventures. Despite this I loved Arm and the world so much that I didn't even notice how boring they were at the time.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on May 02, 2009, 01:13:07 PM
I wish I could find some newbs I could pay to make probably useless attempts at killing templars. CONSTANTLY. That would be fun.

Please, don't.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Haha, yeah...I remember there was an endless string of newbs always trying to off Ihsahn.  Ysania also generated quite a bit of hatred amongst the playerbase, if I recall correctly.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 02, 2009, 03:15:54 PM
Haha, yeah...I remember there was an endless string of newbs always trying to off Ihsahn.  Ysania also generated quite a bit of hatred amongst the playerbase, if I recall correctly.

Seemed like at least once a RL week someone was trying to kill her for quite awhile there.
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

My buddy and I used to go out for coffee after he was done playing Arm for the night/day depending on his sleep schedule.  I'd say, "So how's Arm," and he usually started with, "That stupid fucking bitch Ysania...!"

It was about that time I started playing.  :P
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Quote from: Ghost on May 02, 2009, 12:41:01 AM
WHAT IS THAT THING

what is WROTNG with this kjeyboard

Just recieved the responce to my Player Question request Ghost. Morgenes says "We still have the code for those." So I guess the best answer is 'Find out IC'
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Niamh on May 02, 2009, 03:13:22 PM
Quote from: Maso on May 02, 2009, 01:13:07 PM

Please, don't.

I was actually...joking.   :-\

Quote from: shadeoux on May 02, 2009, 10:58:35 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on May 02, 2009, 03:15:54 PM

Seemed like at least once a RL week someone was trying to kill her for quite awhile there.

The hatred crossed into the OOC realm too. Her player was despised for whatever reason. People used to cite favoritism... among other things.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

Quote from: Archbaron on May 06, 2009, 10:18:22 PM
No one can beat that. I am awesome. And why would I be jcljules' alt? I've whined about his post count before, back in the day when he was a newbie and made a new thread every five minutes! :)
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Ihsahn was a he.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

When I was a newbie, I branched a lot of skills on a character.

I thought Belenos added them to my PC out of pity because I sucked so much in combat.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station