Weapons

Started by Chettaman, March 29, 2009, 11:09:39 AM

Quote from: Cutthroat on March 31, 2009, 05:52:57 PM

I agree with this. There are weapons that could probably be flippable but aren't in the current system. Also note that you can actually flip a flippable weapon in combat using the 'use' command instead of 'flip'.
Oh, really? That doesn't really make alot of coded sense. If you can use 'flip' to flip it out of combat, why can't you use it during combat? Not many think to type 'use' instead of 'flip' since 'use' is a rarely used syntax (For me, atleast).
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on March 31, 2009, 05:57:21 PM
Quote from: Cutthroat on March 31, 2009, 05:52:57 PM

I agree with this. There are weapons that could probably be flippable but aren't in the current system. Also note that you can actually flip a flippable weapon in combat using the 'use' command instead of 'flip'.
Oh, really? That doesn't really make alot of coded sense. If you can use 'flip' to flip it out of combat, why can't you use it during combat? Not many think to type 'use' instead of 'flip' since 'use' is a rarely used syntax (For me, atleast).

It doesn't make sense to me, either. I once spent like two RL days trying to figure out how to flip a weapon, because I KNEW it did something different the last time I'd used it. I'll have to try 'use' tonight to see if it actually works to flip in combat, because that'd make things MUCH easier on me.

The tall, skinny man says:
    Hold on. I need to grab the other end of this knife, so I can club you to death.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Have you ever skinned a creature in the real-world, Lizzie?
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Hmm, this is kind of on topic, but I guess its a derail. Don't feel like starting a new thread while this one is right here unless you folks really feel the need to.
Personally, I do not understand non-offhand weapons. I have not be able to hold something in my left hand, than I can in my right. I'm a righty, but there are certain things I find easier to do with my left hand. Maybe thats a rarity, *shrug*, regardless it doesn't make any sense in my mind. I'm had a few offhand stylists who use a shield in their main hand, because its easier to protect themselves and allies that way, and exclusively hold weapons in their offhand. While this may handicap how effective they are with said weapon in and of itself, I don't see why they can hold a weapon in their main-hand but not the offhand. If anything an echo like 'You struggle to keep <weapon> aloft and find it hard to properly swing with this hand' plus a penalty, would be better.
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

Quote from: Xio on April 02, 2009, 03:09:23 PM
Hmm, this is kind of on topic, but I guess its a derail. Don't feel like starting a new thread while this one is right here unless you folks really feel the need to.
Personally, I do not understand non-offhand weapons. I have not be able to hold something in my left hand, than I can in my right. I'm a righty, but there are certain things I find easier to do with my left hand. Maybe thats a rarity, *shrug*, regardless it doesn't make any sense in my mind. I'm had a few offhand stylists who use a shield in their main hand, because its easier to protect themselves and allies that way, and exclusively hold weapons in their offhand. While this may handicap how effective they are with said weapon in and of itself, I don't see why they can hold a weapon in their main-hand but not the offhand. If anything an echo like 'You struggle to keep <weapon> aloft and find it hard to properly swing with this hand' plus a penalty, would be better.
Um, what? You could use a weapon offhand if that's what you mean :P I think you do get a penalty to swinging it properly too. And I thought everyone figured that, so you don't need an echo. *scratches head*
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I've come across certain weapons the code will not let you use in your offhand, that you can in your primary hand. That's what that whole post is pertaining to.
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

Quote from: Xio on April 03, 2009, 10:11:33 PM
I've come across certain weapons the code will not let you use in your offhand, that you can in your primary hand. That's what that whole post is pertaining to.
Ohhh.. good point :P
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Off hand doesn't mean left hand, does it? Nor does primary mean right?

Off hand could be right or left...whichever hand is your character's off hand. Allows for players to be righties or lefties, I guess.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

Quote from: BuNutzCola on April 04, 2009, 12:58:41 AM
Off hand could be right or left...whichever hand is your character's off hand. Allows for players to be righties or lefties, I guess.

Left or right, for most people one of your hands is stronger then the others. The weapons that cant be used in offhand are usually all very heavy and very powerful, therefore ... no use by a weaker hand.
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."

Right, so you all get my point then?

Quote from: SmashedTregil on April 05, 2009, 10:32:32 PM
Quote from: BuNutzCola on April 04, 2009, 12:58:41 AM

Left or right, for most people one of your hands is stronger then the others. The weapons that cant be used in offhand are usually all very heavy and very powerful, therefore ... no use by a weaker hand.

I think from a code perspective, these weapons are coded thusly because it would be unwieldy to fight with two of them.  If you allowed bastard swords (for example) to be wielded in either hand, to accommodate persons who wished to ep a shield, you would soon enough have people running around wielding a bastard sword in each hand.

It would be interesting if the flags were changed (in 2.Arm) from "ep-only" to "wield-one-only," so that you could hold it in whichever hand you wished, but only one at a time.

(It would also be nice if many current weapons were re-coded so that you couldn't wield two of them.  There are quite a few out there that sort of leave you scratching your head like, "huh...how is that even possible....")

Running off on a tangent, it would be interesting if you could only handle a set amount of weight between two weapons, to amend this situation.  For example, if your strength is average, you can wield 10 stone worth of weapons...so you can wield a 10-stone warhammer and use a shield, use an 8-stone bastard sword and wield a 2-stone longknife, or use 2 five-stone shortswords.  Using two 10-stone warhammers would thusly be impossible, unless you were truly mighty.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on April 06, 2009, 03:25:27 AM
Running off on a tangent, it would be interesting if you could only handle a set amount of weight between two weapons, to amend this situation.  For example, if your strength is average, you can wield 10 stone worth of weapons...so you can wield a 10-stone warhammer and use a shield, use an 8-stone bastard sword and wield a 2-stone longknife, or use 2 five-stone shortswords.  Using two 10-stone warhammers would thusly be impossible, unless you were truly mighty.
I like that idea, but I'd say that off-hand weapons would count as 1.5 times heavier and that shields should also count as weight. And two-handed equipping would work the same.

Quote from: SMuz on April 06, 2009, 07:58:05 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on April 06, 2009, 03:25:27 AM
I like that idea, but I'd say that off-hand weapons would count as 1.5 times heavier and that shields should also count as weight. And two-handed equipping would work the same.

Shields shouldn't count as weight for two reasons:

1.  You generally aren't swinging your shield around willy nilly.
2.  Ever weighed a shield? Yeah, that would throw off the entire system as proposed.

As far as off-hand weapons counting 1.5 x heavier, I don't really see the point.  If you fight with two weapons, you're already going to be limited in your choices.  Further, some "small" off-hand weapons are actually rather heavy, due to building inconsistencies.  (I know of at least one short sword (bone) that weighs two stone more than a certain bastard sword (also bone).  Of course, this is convenient for not having your short swords pickpocketed, heh.)

So you can't wield a big shield in one hand and a big sword in the other. I don't mean shields should be the standard weight, maybe count as 20% or 10% as heavy, otherwise half-elves would be carrying around 20-stone shields with one hand and a short sword in the other hand.

First off, lefties are mutie freaks, deformed by magick.

Second, I found a few items that were a certain handedness due to the shape of the blade of handle only working on that hand.  It really sucked, given one item REALLY needed to be a main hander for it's obvious purpose, but no matter.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

The weights for weapons are bloody ridiculous in many cases.

It's said that a stone could roughly be translated to a kilogram, about 2.2 pounds.

I've seen weapons weighing 14 stones, that's around 30 pounds.

Now two-handing a 30 pound weapon-- sure, I could see that with really high-strength dwarves, or one-handing with half-giants and stronger muls.

I read that most metal medieval swords weighed under five pounds, and compensating for zalanthan building materials I wouldn't reckon that any weapons would weigh over ten pounds.... Yet IG one can swing around a 30-40 pound chunk of wood and stone one-handed as if it were nothing.

It confounds me.

:(

Quote from: Qzzrbl on April 07, 2009, 02:42:20 PM

It's said that a stone could roughly be translated to a kilogram, about 2.2 pounds.

Now two-handing a 30 pound weapon-- sure, I could see that with really high-strength dwarves, or one-handing with half-giants and stronger muls.

I read that most metal medieval swords weighed under five pounds, and compensating for zalanthan building materials I wouldn't reckon that any weapons would weigh over ten pounds.... Yet IG one can swing around a 30-40 pound chunk of wood and stone one-handed as if it were nothing.

It confounds me.

A human with "good" strength can only use a weapon up to 11 or 12 stones.  So yes, you  basically have to be as strong as a dwarf or a mul to wield a 14-stone weapon, already.

Quote from: Synthesis on April 07, 2009, 07:23:53 PM

It confounds me.

A human with "good" strength can only use a weapon up to 11 or 12 stones.  So yes, you  basically have to be as strong as a dwarf or a mul to wield a 14-stone weapon, already.

Still, even wielding something around ten pounds with one arm is a feat in and of itself.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on April 07, 2009, 07:25:19 PM

It confounds me.

Still, even wielding something around ten pounds with one arm is a feat in and of itself.

Yeah, it's mainly a building problem, though.

Hell, I found a 15 lb pair of boots ing-game the other day.  15 lbs?  Seriously?  Come on guys.

Quote from: Synthesis on April 07, 2009, 09:16:14 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on April 07, 2009, 07:25:19 PM

It confounds me.

Yeah, it's mainly a building problem, though.

Hell, I found a 15 lb pair of boots ing-game the other day.  15 lbs?  Seriously?  Come on guys.
I found where all the in-game metal went.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

It's a ridiculously tiring job trying to get all items to follow the same standards. I'd actually be surprised if there weren't any inconsistencies.

The reason Zalanthans can't "fight poorly" in sparring is because they're always swinging a heavy 5-kg bone, making it impossible to pull back from a hit.

Quote from: SMuz on April 08, 2009, 03:11:35 AM
It's a ridiculously tiring job trying to get all items to follow the same standards. I'd actually be surprised if there weren't any inconsistencies.

The reason Zalanthans can't "fight poorly" in sparring is because they're always swinging a heavy 5-kg bone, making it impossible to pull back from a hit.

Some sparring weapons actually are a reasonable weight.

A certain training club would seem to weigh 1 stone.

A certain training dagger would seem to weigh 1 stone.

A certain training axe would seem to weigh 1 stone.

A common sparring sword would seem to weigh 7 stones.
:o