Cooking, the rocket science of Zalanthas

Started by Good Gortok, March 15, 2009, 03:37:19 PM

Quote from: hyzhenhok on June 16, 2015, 11:34:41 PM
You continue burning scrab steaks and other chunks of meat right up until you are able to mastercraft edibles.

I don't think I've ever failed while cooking meat, even with <journeyman> cooking, provided I was in the Gaj roasting pits. I had to start cooking elsewhere, at one point, because failing was impossible.

Quote from: Clearsighted on June 17, 2015, 10:36:44 AM
You continue burning scrab steaks and other chunks of meat right up until you are able to mastercraft edibles.

I don't think I've ever failed while cooking meat, even with <journeyman> cooking, provided I was in the Gaj roasting pits. I had to start cooking elsewhere, at one point, because failing was impossible.

I don't think a single person has yet complained about cooking under optimal circumstances.

The issue is that under baseline circumstances, cooking is too difficult.  If I could pick the Gaj up and carry it around with me, fine, I wouldn't be complaining.

Furthermore, there's no reason why being in a "roasting pits" would make it so much easier for me to grind up bags of seasoning, slice fruit, etc. etc. etc.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 17, 2015, 11:04:27 AM
Quote from: Clearsighted on June 17, 2015, 10:36:44 AM

I don't think a single person has yet complained about cooking under optimal circumstances.

The issue is that under baseline circumstances, cooking is too difficult.  If I could pick the Gaj up and carry it around with me, fine, I wouldn't be complaining.

I once accidentally picked up a merchant's stall, and could carry it around with me. I set it back down very carefully. But I'll not deny that I had the fleeting urge to keep it.

The problem would appear to be that many objects were made before there was a coding standard or before the code was optimal.  You've got thousands of items made by who knows how many people.  That would be my guess, anyway.  So the question becomes whether these errors make the game unplayable, or could our limited coding/building resources be better spent?

Quote from: Kismetic on June 17, 2015, 11:26:59 AM
  So the question becomes whether these errors make the game unplayable, or could our limited coding/building resources be better spent?

The question should really never become that. At the very least it shouldn't be a part of the players discussion. Because only each staff member can define where they would like to spend their time. And they work on things that aren't breaking the game all the time.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 17, 2015, 12:35:55 PM
Quote from: Kismetic on June 17, 2015, 11:26:59 AM
 So the question becomes whether these errors make the game unplayable, or could our limited coding/building resources be better spent?

The question should really never become that. At the very least it shouldn't be a part of the players discussion.

Are we not the ones who play the game and deal with the parts where the code is insufficient?  As much as I enjoy a fantasy and a frolic, duder, there needs to be pragmatism.

I'm not sure I understand you. Are you saying the players should determine what the staff work on? That sounds like a good way to lose a bunch of staff. I doubt the players could even come to any sort of agreement on what is most important and easiest to implement among ideas.

I'm not getting into a debate with you, but to answer your question:  Absolutely!  And the trend going back many years seems to be that player discussions have motivated the direction of staff workload.  Cause, ya know, staff are players, too.  This is a game, after all.

Meat seems harder than other things to cook. And its really, really tough getting a whole batch of flatbread out of a sack of flour unless you're very skilled.

Its really hard not to spill flour while separating a massive sack of flour, too. The only time I was able to really do it anytime I wanted was on an elf with exceptional wisdom.

I think cooking should be easier at the beginning stages, yes ... but I also think food and water should both be expensive if bought from an npc, in part to both drive people to cooking, and to force the idea of killing for these things. Dunno.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I just tested, and to be clear, tools in inventory do not give bonuses to skill (though they still count if the recipe requires a tool), while tools which are held do give bonuses to skill (and still count if the recipe requires a tool).
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

June 19, 2015, 01:00:45 PM #86 Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 01:30:37 PM by valeria
Loool I have been playing crafters wrong for like 6 years.

Edit: I did mean "wrong" not "long".
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

How many people actually hold a grill to cook with it?

A grill isn't a cooking tool, anyway.  Checked the other day.

I found an actual cooking tool, but it's so stupid and makes no sense, I'm embarrassed to pull it out and actually use it, lol.

Careful where you cook certain types of meat, you might offend the locals:

craft meat into a
You begin crafting a chalton steak from a flank of chalton meat you are
carrying. 
You start preparing some food.

A wild, horned chalton has arrived from the west.

<-walking-standing-unarmed>

A wild, horned chalton attacks you.
A wild, horned chalton bites you, barely grazing your arm.

<walking-fighting: a wild, horned chalton-unarmed>

Your blow bounces off a wild, horned chalton's tough skin.
A wild, horned chalton swiftly dodges your hit.

<-walking-fighting: a wild, horned chalton-unarmed>

You carefully grill the meat.
A wild, horned chalton bites at you, but you dodge out of the way.

I can't even construct a damn barrier when I'm crafting but I can fight off wild animals?

Also, going AFK in the middle of the wilderness is a bad idea folks. Reminds me of the time one of these aggressive little bastards broke my tent.

I love 7DeadlyVenoms' idea of cooking giving you temporary bonuses. It would make a real difference between getting that roasted scrab head or that travel cake, if the idea is that better quality food gives you more bonuses.

Food-based bonuses would be too gamey.

... huh? Don't you eat irl based on how food makes you feel? Otherwise, you'd always eat noodles instead of steak, or lamb, or such. We're talking tiny bonuses. Like, certain fabric tiny.

I'm pretty sure it was a pun.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 22, 2015, 05:52:08 PM
... huh? Don't you eat irl based on how food makes you feel? Otherwise, you'd always eat noodles instead of steak, or lamb, or such. We're talking tiny bonuses. Like, certain fabric tiny.

If it's such a tiny bonus, then why would anyone care about it?  What would be the point of having it at all?

Same point as having certain cloth. And, since it would apply to various stats based on the sort of food it was, perhaps it would give you that tiny edge you wanted, bump you from a 101 to a 110, something similar. Ok, yes, I guess it's gamey, but ... so? It's a game. Spice is gamey too. We have that.

In all honesty a steak should fill you quicker and longer then a cake or some shit. That is enough bonus for me. Not sure how the code works or not. Though I always been curious... Do certain foods keep your hunger filled longer and fill it faster? I've played for years and only seen slight differences in food types.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

I make sure my characters seek out good food, if available. They tend to be poor, though, so they end up eating the cheapest shit they can find, until they're no longer poor. Though sometimes the hunger code is annoying and it's like, SPAM TRAVEL CAKES, RAWR!

Cooking is kind of annoying, but if you tweak one crafting sklll to be more successful, you open the door to tweaking others. Not necessarily a bad thing, but, I agree with whoever, there's quite possibly better things for staff to spend time and resources on. I hate typing skills and seeing a fuckload of novice, the slog is something I give up on frequently, then, once some skills hit advanced, I start tweaking like a fiend because I can finally smell and taste potential victory. I'd like it if certain skill-branching requirements were looked at, and perhaps adjusted lower.