Solo RP

Started by Darmonator, March 13, 2009, 07:14:23 PM

September 03, 2009, 10:23:07 PM #75 Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:25:39 PM by Clearsighted
Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 22, 2009, 12:35:46 AM
Quote from: Is Friday on April 29, 2009, 11:04:42 PM
I have many, many negative notes on my account because I have gone entire play sessions playing alone and not doing anything other than coded commands.

Oh, shoot--

I once received a negative account note for fighting while mounted.

I laughed.

I throw out an emote now and then, just out of habit, but only when I want to. If I have to torture myself emoting foraging for stone or crafting something in a unique and compelling way, every time I log in, I'd rather just not play.

Personally, I solo role-play most of the time, and I always solo role-play when my character is doing something that may require further explanation for an action to make sense to observers.  I agree that it isn't always rewarding; in fact, it can sometimes be outright fatiguing, but the truth of the matter is, you never really know when your character is being watched...  And I'm not just talking about the staff.

That being said, when I think I'm alone, I, too, am sometimes guilty of not putting forth the effort to eloquently explain the manner in which my character's brow (hairless or otherwise) glistens with sweat beneath the angry, angry rays of Suk-Krath; in situations like that, I feel a simple one-liner will usually suffice.

What surprisingly hasn't been mentioned (that much) previously in this thread is the use of the 'think' command, which was designed almost exclusively as a solo role-playing tool.  I mainly use it to convey my character's true motives and opinions when engaging in (sometimes untruthful) dialog with other PCs (I got a positive staff comment for this once, and I guess it stuck), but when I last played, I had also used it extensively for internal monologue.  In fact, I am trying to get back into the practice of doing this, because, personally, it helps me explore my character's thought process when making difficult decisions, such as what kind of alcohol to buy, or whether or not to kick that stupid half-elf in the shins.

Anyway, having given my two 'sid on the matter, I'd like to ask the community a question:  Do you use 'think/feel'? If so, how do you use them, and how often?
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on September 06, 2009, 06:00:59 AM
Anyway, having given my two 'sid on the matter, I'd like to ask the community a question:  Do you use 'think/feel'? If so, how do you use them, and how often?

They are my favourite commands and I believe they are the bread and butter of my RP.

I'm not joking when I say that sometimes I think and feel more than I emote. Which probably makes other PCs around mine wonder why I idle so much.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on September 06, 2009, 06:26:08 AM

They are my favourite commands and I believe they are the bread and butter of my RP.

I'm not joking when I say that sometimes I think and feel more than I emote. Which probably makes other PCs around mine wonder why I idle so much.

The think and feel commands are the single most important ways for me to stick in character. I've used think more extensively with some characters than others, but even just a quick thought here and there does a lot to keep me in character.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

During a dialogue with someone else I might throw out a few quick thinks and feels if the situation calls for them, like

think (sarcastic) Hah, yeah, right.
think (annoyed) This is stupid.
think (excited) I can hardly wait.
feel <emotion>

so I can keep up with the scene. When I'm alone my character might do entire monologues in 'think' and 'feel', and when my characters spend time sleeping, they're always dreaming.

I have this sort of problem where almost all of my RP is dialogue-driven.

It seems like I hardly ever emote outside of says/tells these days.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I also find that I RP best through interacting with others or my char talking out loud to him/herself. 

I have a difficult time keeping up steady emotes/thinks while sitting somewhere waiting for health/stun/stam/mana to regen or while doing repetitive tasks alone.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on September 06, 2009, 01:44:43 PM
I also find that I RP best through interacting with others or my char talking out loud to him/herself. 

I have a difficult time keeping up steady emotes/thinks while sitting somewhere waiting for health/stun/stam/mana to regen or while doing repetitive tasks alone.

I like to talk to my mounts.  Inix make the most sympathetic listeners because they bob their heads a lot.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Quote from: Medena on September 06, 2009, 05:52:29 PM
Quote from: Thunkkin on September 06, 2009, 01:44:43 PM

I like to talk to my mounts.  Inix make the most sympathetic listeners because they bob their heads a lot.

LOL, I do that too.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

The other day, I almost typed in "feel like there is about to be some Brokeback Mountain shit going down." but resisted the urge.

My feels tend to be more of the sarcastic nature. Something they might think, but is expressed better.

feel that going in there might be a bad idea

versus

think Going in there may be a bad idea.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I use thinks and feels to counter each other when I'm having inner dialogue.

Quotethink That's a brilliant idea!

feel like maybe it's not so brilliant, after all.

think But it could work!

feel it probably won't work.

Riev and Rhyden...  You're both geniuses.  I'm going to start doing something to this effect.  Currently, I use feel like this:

> feel anxious

Boring.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

I've had some truly heinously awesome feels with a certain character of mine. I think maybe I went a -little- too far sometimes. In fact, I couldn't post one that I can think of right now without feeling terribly dirty. Sorry all staff and psions that watched that guy.  :-X
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on September 07, 2009, 01:46:27 AM
I've had some truly heinously awesome feels with a certain character of mine. I think maybe I went a -little- too far sometimes. In fact, I couldn't post one that I can think of right now without feeling terribly dirty. Sorry all staff and psions that watched that guy.  :-X

Meh, don't apologize to the psions.

You can mix the two right?
Think (aperhensive) it might not be a good idea to go in there.
Feeling aperhensive you think: it might not be a good idea to go in thier.
This only works with think i believe.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on September 12, 2009, 01:09:16 PM
You can mix the two right?
Think (aperhensive) it might not be a good idea to go in there.
Feeling aperhensive you think: it might not be a good idea to go in thier.
This only works with think i believe.

You are correct.  think (mischievous) It might not be a good idea to kick that templar in the shins... would come out as:

Feeling mischievous, you think:
    "It might not be a good idea to kick that templar in the shins..."

Edit: Also, you are correct in that this only works for think, and not in reverse.

September 17, 2009, 02:29:05 AM #91 Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:45:47 AM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: Clearsighted on September 07, 2009, 02:05:30 AM
Quote from: Zoltan on September 07, 2009, 01:46:27 AM

Meh, don't apologize to the psions.

lol

Seriously, feel is a great tool for internal explanations of just exactly what your characters condition is.

The Hardass Templar looks at you.
> Think Oh krath!
> feel terrified as your bowls release a warm stream of urine into your leggings.
> pem hands begin shaking as the crotch of ~leggings darkens with urine.

Quote from: Fathi on September 06, 2009, 06:26:08 AM
Anyway, having given my two 'sid on the matter, I'd like to ask the community a question:  Do you use 'think/feel'? If so, how do you use them, and how often?

Agreed. Which makes my logs way confusing because I tend to leave out some actions I'd normally be doing with emotes.