Dead Descriptions?

Started by Kol, March 12, 2009, 08:27:47 PM

Heh, X-D wrote what I wanted to write. But I was too lazy to write so much.

IMHO, it makes perfect sense to not base it off any skill at all. I could pretty obviously tell if someone has slash marks or has his face bashed in by a large bludgeoning object.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

honestly, I could see it being based partially off the hunt skill....after all, who better to know what a scrab bite looks like, than the guy always getting them?

a scrab bites you hard on the arm!

>look arm

here on your arm are two holes that are round gouges in your flesh.

>think so that's what they look like.

you think: So that's what they look like.

And besides, an arrow would break in someone if shot at close range....think about it, let's say, just for shits and giggles, that an arrow flies at about 40 fps at 50 feet away.  that's a lot of kinetic energy coming to a VERY sudden stop.  So where does all that kinetic energy go?  some goes into the target, but a lot of it reverberaties along the shaft, thus breaking said arrow (and I can't think of too many hunters who stop and emote pulling out all of the arrow shafts....which reminds me for next time. lol.).  Now, if you're killing someone, and you shoot them, my priorities there after are as follows: 1.Make sure no one got a good look at my face.  2.  Get the Drov outta there.

As for other weapons, well, there ARE raiders IG.....and that one of the rather well known duties for rangers/warriors is to play guard to fancy pants Salarr/Kadius/HouseWhat'sItsName.  I'll give you, most of the time it was money wasted, but there are times when raiders come outta no where, and just start to unleash havoc.

So, I could see a assesment of wounds based off of hunt....maybe not for the 50 day warrior or as fast as the bandage skill, but there none the less.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

I think it would be awesome to have it added to the "look" command, if you ask me.

This is what you would see if you were untrained in the bandaging skill or not some elite Templar with eyes of all seeing.

The body of the tall muscular man lies here, crumpled in the sands.

Look body

He is a tall, muscular man. He has eyes, hair, somewhat of a face, and a bunch of muscly body parts.
   There is a wound on the neck.

If you were adept at the skill of bandaging, more options would be available to you, like so:

The body of the tall muscular man lies here, crumpled in the sands.

Look body

He is a tall, muscular man. He has eyes, hair, somewhat of a face, and a bunch of muscly body parts.
   There is a slash wound on the neck.
   There is a stab wound on the back.
   There is a slash wound on the arms.

Something simple, I would think.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Heh....loving it...... ;D.....

I honestly am all for basing it of bandage, treat wounds, find out what they look like, that way im sure your going to be able to discover if someone was killed using a bone blade, flint, obsidian and what not...

although in the case of animal deaths, teeth and gouge marks are pretty distinctive (Bitten by dogs numerous times...) and Im sure hunting guilds would know animal bites all too well.....

.......I mean.....they have to bandage em right?
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

>emote waits for X-D to whip out his super insane knowledge on shooting arrows at people, that no one really wants to question, just like Dan's zombie scenario.

>emote twiddles his fingers, looking smug.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Well, I've yet to shoot anybody with an arrow. Just deer, boar, bear, rabbits, a few cats, one snapping turtle and a few other sundry tasty animals.

But Nah, I really would have no clue what I'm talking about.

As to wounds caused by animals, I don't really believe a hunter would spend too much time figuring out exactly what did what...but then I can suspend disbelief in that case.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on March 16, 2009, 03:23:23 AM
As to wounds caused by animals, I don't really believe a hunter would spend too much time figuring out exactly what did what...but then I can suspend disbelief in that case.

look at sharks, between a tiger shark and a great white, the jaw line becomes more angular, to the point that even casual costal surfers can tell if one or the other just ruined a perfectly good 500 quid slab, so I figure if you hunt these animals for long enough, you should know what the teeth marks are gonna look like after so said shark took a huge bite out of your buddy bra.
A staff member sends:

Hey, I said I was not against it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

IDK, and IDC, if this does happen, it probably will be based off of the bandage skill, just for the simple fact that there is no private eye sub-guild.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

Harshlands and SoI had this in ages ago :P It's a great feature, though. I wouldn't place in on high priority, though.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Kol on March 16, 2009, 04:09:04 AM

look at sharks, between a tiger shark and a great white, the jaw line becomes more angular, to the point that even casual costal surfers can tell if one or the other just ruined a perfectly good 500 quid slab, so I figure if you hunt these animals for long enough, you should know what the teeth marks are gonna look like after so said shark took a huge bite out of your buddy bra.

Woaaah, surf the costal cartilage, dudes!  I'm totally gonna hang ten off the superior articular process!
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 16, 2009, 08:39:54 PM
Quote from: Kol on March 16, 2009, 04:09:04 AM

Woaaah, surf the costal cartilage, dudes!  I'm totally gonna hang ten off the superior articular process!

I LOL'd
A staff member sends: