I'm LEAVING THE MUD! I've HAD IT!

Started by sarahjc, March 10, 2009, 11:59:48 AM

I'm afraid im with synth and Peepee, I generally don't donate to any charity which does it's work in the northwest hemisphere. I struggle, badly, and I would rather my money go to a place where they are dying from their struggles, instead of being inconvienienced.
your mother is an elf.

Pleeeeeeeeenty of charities going around, folks, that suit whatever creed, belief, or values you have.  It always hurts to see folks getting into a pinch about which causes are more 'valuable' than others.  (Just check whomever you donate with.  Make sure that the right amount of money is actually getting to your intended recipients.)  If this endeavor is not for you but if your means allow, I'm sure across the pbase we could come up with a good list of alternatives.
Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

If you're not in the military, or have extensive military experience, please don't comment on how well people are taken care of without actually knowing. A great picture is painted for the armed forces, and there are some great benefits, but yeah, not all of it is hunky dory.

I am an E-3, about to make E-4. Not an especially high rank, but I modestly find 600 dollars deposited into my bank account every two weeks. (I don't mind talking about my income, it's all public knowledge, rank/time in/allowances, etcetera online.

That's about 1200 dollars a month. Sure my food is covered, and I have a home right? Well..I have a 6.5x3.5x3.0 space to sleep in. That's three extra inches for my toes, and I can't even lay on my side if I wanted to. I have to fit everything I own in a locker just beneath the mattress. I eat on the ship, and luckily I am TAD in the officers wardroom and get to have some of the nicer chow, but the food on board is worse than what I got in the cafeteria back in the early nineties. After a long underway, you choose to eat cereal, because at least with cereal, you can pour the milk in, wait for the bugs to float to the top, scrape them away, and then at least you know you're good to go for the rest of the meal.

Steam got secured on our last underway for four days. Four days of no hot water, in Everett, Washington, during winter. Seeing your breath while in your bed.

so anyhoo, Let's figure my pay is 1200 then, maybe...350 in food? and we'll call my rack a studio (I wish) which here would be around 500 a month

So I'm rollin' in the dough with about 2050 a month, not all that bad really, comparable to civilian jobs I've had.

But in port, I work 50-60 hours a week on average, plus or minus a bit. So we're shooting for about 7.59-9.10 per hour, not bad by any means, but my brother made more than that working for macdonalds in Hawaii.

Underway, it's a whole 'nother story. You work seven days a week, 7000-2300. 16 hours a day.  So a good 112 hours a week. Of course you can add in my 50.00 a month sea pay, 150 a month and we're tax free in the gulf, which ain't too shabby. So we'll bump my pay up to 2865 to compensate. Brings down my hourly wage to a  smooth 5.68 an hour. Living on a ship, busting my ass day in day out. And while that doesn't seem all too bad, remember I'm in a tiny rack, eating shitty food, taking cold ass showers.

But I do enjoy myself. And proud to serve.

Programs that help a service member out are awesome. No one's asking for a hand out, maybe a hand-up. 20 bucks from every paycheck goes to Habitat for Humanity.

Not sure where I meant to go with this post or if it even came out coherent, it's two am and I've been up for three days getting the most ass of my life while on leave here in sunny Florida with my as of yesterday wife :) (She's reading over the shoulder, so don't think I'm crude)
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

Quote from: BuNutzCola on March 12, 2009, 03:11:13 AM
...not sure where I meant to go with this post or if it even came out coherent, it's two am and I've been up for three days getting the most ass of my life while on leave here in sunny Florida with my as of yesterday wife :) (She's reading over the shoulder, so don't think I'm crude)

Congratulations!
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Some people expressed an interest in actually volunteering to help build. Here is a link to the Habitat for Humanity Organge County volunteer site. You can follow the instructions and sign up here.

http://www.habitatoc.org/volunteers/#volunteers

Right now the big build is the one I am working on. So, if you are in the local area and want to help and get your hands dirty, maybe I'll see you there.

:)
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

April 17, 2009, 05:29:59 PM #30 Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 06:17:01 PM by jcarter
I'm with Synthesis. The military gives a special stipend for housing called basic allowance for housing, which is calculated off of rank, zip code, marital status, and whether or not you have dependents, as well as food money, on top of your base pay. I just don't get how someone in the military at all comes even close to needing assistance from a charity. Not to knock what you're doing or what Homes for Habitat is all about, but my guess is they've either got some really, really bad luck or are pissing away money on something stupid. Is there any sort of articles or anything about this?

Edit: holy thread necromancy, batman

April 26, 2009, 04:49:37 PM #31 Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 04:54:36 PM by sarahjc
You can read all about who is getting the homes and why on the Habitat Website. 

http://www.habitatoc.org

Of course you can get to know the families personally at the construction site, as they are there, hammering nails into their roof.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Er, I'm in Lemoore, but I can get out a ways. I'm paying a loan off or I'd drop some loving down, but I can get off base and build some shit. Not exactely sure where you are but, I got some folks that would gladly come out. We get good things for volunteer work.

May 02, 2009, 11:20:07 AM #33 Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 11:21:42 AM by Sokotra
Quote from: jcarter on April 17, 2009, 05:29:59 PM
I'm with Synthesis. The military gives a special stipend for housing called basic allowance for housing, which is calculated off of rank, zip code, marital status, and whether or not you have dependents, as well as food money, on top of your base pay. I just don't get how someone in the military at all comes even close to needing assistance from a charity. Not to knock what you're doing or what Homes for Habitat is all about, but my guess is they've either got some really, really bad luck or are pissing away money on something stupid. Is there any sort of articles or anything about this?

That basic housing allowance does not amount to much when you have kids and your wife is at home taking care of them and not working - which is perfectly understandable.  The tax-free combat pay helps when you are deployed, but it tends to also make the situation harder when your wife and kids are without you for a year at a time or more.  Also, the pay usually doesn't end up being any more than your average factory worker might make at a small company.  Even if it did.. or if your rank and time in service is high enough to put you in the upper brackets, it is still hard to pay the bills for an entire family by yourself.

I know those benefits and extra pay may seem like a lot to a single person or someone that does not have kids, but it simply does not always pay the bills for a family of 4, 5, or more...

I'm surprised this thread is still open.  Motion to lock.

No need.

Continue if interested in the topic.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Motion to lock seconded.  This discussion can be watched on CNN.
I'd rather be lucky than good.