I'd Like To Encourage

Started by Is Friday, February 21, 2009, 02:50:09 PM

I had something happen to me a while back when I was in Nenyuk's ... I had no idea if it was an NPC script or an awesome animation.  Either way, it ruled.  At the time, I was sure it was a script ... but I haven't seen it since.  Kudos to the imm that did it (either wrote the script or did the animation).
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on October 02, 2009, 04:06:19 PM
I had something happen to me a while back when I was in Nenyuk's ... I had no idea if it was an NPC script or an awesome animation.  Either way, it ruled.  At the time, I was sure it was a script ... but I haven't seen it since.  Kudos to the imm that did it (either wrote the script or did the animation).

SHUT UP THUNKKIN

Where were we?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I'd like to encourage players to take scenes into their two hands and twist them into their own making therein clashing with others who try to twist them into theirs. Never be afraid to enter the emote, talk and say with gusto; we need movers and shakers.

Quote from: Northlander on October 05, 2009, 05:54:44 AM
I'd like to encourage players to take scenes into their two hands and twist them into their own making therein clashing with others who try to twist them into theirs. Never be afraid to enter the emote, talk and say with gusto; we need movers and shakers.
Power emoting?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

...more people to follow the social rankings available in the documents. Especially in Allanak.

http://www.armageddon.org/general/ranktable.html
Gargath, the Scapegoat of Despair

Softly, the evil sorcerer says, in sirihish:
     "Great Tektolnes' Hairy Balls!  That's rather amazin'"

The evil sorcerer thinks: Hm, does he really have hair on them?  Gah.. stop thinking about this.

Quote from: Gargath on October 05, 2009, 10:37:37 AM
...more people to follow the social rankings available in the documents. Especially in Allanak.

http://www.armageddon.org/general/ranktable.html

I agree.  Though I'd like to see it updated a bit especially on the GMH part with certain ranks like Agent/Overseer/Trader.  Essentially to know where Family members sit on that social ladder.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Wow a nobles aide is above a sergeant.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 05, 2009, 11:01:37 AM

No, because the ranks for Corporal and Sergeant in the AoD are actually wrongly switched on that chart. That chart is...wrong in places, and incomplete at best.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on October 05, 2009, 11:39:34 AM

No, because the ranks for Corporal and Sergeant in the AoD are actually wrongly switched on that chart. That chart is...wrong in places, and incomplete at best.

Anyone with the knowledge want to submit an updated one?

I'm not that person but would be rad!

Brandon
brandon....

Find out IC.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: FuSoYa on October 05, 2009, 11:40:13 AM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on October 05, 2009, 11:39:34 AM

Anyone with the knowledge want to submit an updated one?

Eh, the errors have been pointed out and suggestions submitted to the imms previously, and nothing was done about it. What it would take is for some staff member to take a particular interest in making it right.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on October 05, 2009, 11:45:14 AM
Eh, the errors have been pointed out and suggestions submitted to the imms previously, and nothing was done about it. What it would take is for some staff member to take a particular interest in making it right.

Perhaps if someone takes it upon themselves to submit an easily changeable graph with the same type of information in a more current offering and any minor tweaks could be made without much trouble by the staff it could help.

Just a thought.

Other then that I hope the AoD keeps bowing to them fucking aides.

Brandon
brandon....

Well, I'm saying that's been done. But it wasn't a staff priority at the time to correct the various errors on the chart, nor do I believe it is a priority now since no staff are saying it's a priority. I mean, there are ranks on the chart that do not actually even exist. There are ranks that are switched. There's no place for gemmers on the chart, so no one ever really knows where they go. There's no place for 'rinthis on the chart, so ditto. Slaves are only on there at one spot which is just not correct.

It's a lovely idea to think that we can just submit stuff and get attention paid to the problem, but in practice that doesn't often work. And to be honest, since the energy has already been put into this particular problem at least once from the player side, I personally feel extremely mehhhhhhhh about bothering to try again.

However, if you really want to go for it, I'd suggest starting a discussion thread. I'll be happy to give you my own personal opinion based on knowledge and experience. I still don't think staff will do anything about the chart, probably for good reason, but at least then the knowledge of the playerbase on the issue may be expanded.

I don't think "Aide" on that chart means "aide" like we loosely use the term to refer to clanned PCs that don't fit into the guard/slave category.  I suspect that most of the in-game "aides" would actually fall into the House servant category, which is quite a bit lower in status.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on October 05, 2009, 11:58:31 AM
However, if you really want to go for it, I'd suggest starting a discussion thread. I'll be happy to give you my own personal opinion based on knowledge and experience. I still don't think staff will do anything about the chart, probably for good reason, but at least then the knowledge of the playerbase on the issue may be expanded.

No, I don't.

Personally, I'm fine with how my character interacts with most others IG and think I have a fairly good grasp on it.  I merely thought it might be a good idea for other players who do not.

I'd like to think I understand your frustration though and if it's not to be well then it's not to be.

It is what is.

Brandon
brandon....

First, I'd like to encourage the people of Wisconsin  to take a moment to research their acronyms before print   :D ;)

Secondly,  I'd like to encourage PCs to have more hobbies!!  If you're an employed guard, there is no reason your PC should be out hawking their silken gloves.  If you have something worth selling -- find a PC merchant to sell it on your behalf (it's da law, damnit)  better yet, treat it as all homemade gifts -- the quality that says "I thought of you" instead of "this is a quality piece worth sids"

Another example is all the wonderful coded games (cards, dice, izdari, and others)

Remember, not everything you do is worth sids!  Some of it is just worth -- hobby status.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: Lizzie on October 05, 2009, 11:43:17 AM
Find out IC.

If a person who lived in Allanak his whole life needs to find those little details of who's above whom in a <social ladder> IC. Then ... well ... there is no social ladder.

Quote from: Dar on October 05, 2009, 12:33:26 PM
Find out IC.

If a person who lived in Allanak his whole life needs to find those little details of who's above whom in a <social ladder> IC. Then ... well ... there is no social ladder.

True.  The hierarchy of the society is what defines 'nak.   It's vital that from the very start one would train their child in the basics -- recognizing who are their betters and who are somewhat equal -- as basic as knowing the differences between the houses.

<this space for rent>

Want to know more about Allanaki social hierarchy, have at it: http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,36595.msg480083.html#new

Find out IC.

I'm pretty sure what Lizzie meant is that not all employees are treated equally.  That is, there are political and functional forces at play that go far beyond etiquette.

For example, a commoner GMH spymaster might always be expected to bow to a blue-robe templar when in public, but that GMH could possibly be more inclined to assassinate even a red-robe templar than lose their spymaster.

Quote from: Synthesis on October 05, 2009, 12:46:06 PM
Find out IC.

I'm pretty sure what Lizzie meant is that not all employees are treated equally.  That is, there are political and functional forces at play that go far beyond etiquette.

For example, a commoner GMH spymaster might always be expected to bow to a blue-robe templar when in public, but that GMH could possibly be more inclined to assassinate even a red-robe templar than lose their spymaster.

I thought she was just being silly personally.

Brandon
brandon....

Yeah actually it was an attempt at humor, given a recent thread that was necroed about the topic of "Find out IC."
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I would encourage PCs to give new PCs a chance to acclimate to the game before bombarding them with employment.
ICly such offers would most assuredly not be turned down, thus it puts the player in a bind -- trying to do what is IC vs. trying to wait and get a bit further into character and see what to do next.

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on October 05, 2009, 03:31:48 PM
I would encourage PCs to give new PCs a chance to acclimate to the game before bombarding them with employment.
ICly such offers would most assuredly not be turned down, thus it puts the player in a bind -- trying to do what is IC vs. trying to wait and get a bit further into character and see what to do next.

I advise every new player that I bring to the game to seek out employment quickly and try and give a brief overview of the samples of work to be found.

They don't always want to do this and if not I do not say it's mandatory but I found for myself it was when I was taken in for employment in this game on an early character that I realized I wasn't playing a crappy single-player MUD wandering the streets of Allanaki.

I don't know, I've always been big on the clans for varying reasons but other then that there are a ton of reasons to turn down employment and if the new player really is new I doubt they will feel put in much of a bind.

Just my thoughts though.

It's a big scary world if you've never played another RPI much less another MUD and it's always nice to have someone take you in under their wing and give you stuff to do/involve you stuff.

Brandon
brandon....

I'm just saying it's more like power-gaming.  You're forcing the other PC into this situation they may or may not have otherwise put themselves into.

<this space for rent>