Shit Happens

Started by Olgaris, February 18, 2009, 04:54:44 PM

February 19, 2009, 08:25:46 AM #125 Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:29:05 AM by Thunkkin
I think this is great. Thank you.

Cleaning up shit was a serious undertaking in cities once upon a time.  In nineteenth-century London, it was a major occupation to shovel up "night soil" in carts and then sell it to farmers.  There is STILL a law on the books in San Francisco that horse dung cannot be piled on a street corner any higher than six feet.  Got that? Five feet was OK.

Also, I got a warm fuzzy feeling and a big grin when I saw my first poop IC.

Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

All I can say is, Most of you have not spent any time around large plant eaters. Stick a horse in a stable, leave it there for one RL day and see how many different piles are there. Other animals are far worse, Ask your local zoo employee about the elephants some time.

As to decay, Zalanthus is a desert. I live in a desert. Animal droppings hang around for a LONG time. Not like when I lived in MI or OH when weather would take care of the problem in a week or so.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Now all we need are itty bitty dung beetles, for outside the cities.

You see a small dung beetle here, rolling a ball of dung many times its size.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Can we get a count each week in perpetuity of the number of dung objects in-game?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

They're pooping so much because they have been stopped up for the last 18 or so RL years.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: DustMight on February 19, 2009, 02:38:59 AM
Yet another way in which Allanak shows its innovation to the mudding world.   ;)

Interesting idea.  I would suggest the animals crap once an IC day and that the poop disintegrates in a couple of days, perhaps from a fresh pile to older - help us track movements.

I don't know if this is coded.  I haven't been in game since the change.

Cool idea, though.

I like this idea!!   I'm gaming under the impression the whole "I want to see more bodily functions in game" represents a small percentage of players.   And if they want to do with that, more power to them.   But, disintegrating would mean the rest of us don't have to play something that has no appeal (if not a major turn off)

"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on February 19, 2009, 11:47:59 AM
I like this idea!!   I'm gaming under the impression the whole "I want to see more bodily functions in game" represents a small percentage of players.   And if they want to do with that, more power to them.   But, disintegrating would mean the rest of us don't have to play something that has no appeal (if not a major turn off)

Well, I don't think you -have- to pick it up.  That's what poor npcs, vnpcs, and pcs are for.  Also, if animal dung is a major problem ... aren't there a million other things in the game that are worse?  The corpses in Meleth's? Public torture? The filthy, diseased beggars in the streets? Starving children? :D

I also like this change because it makes the logistics clearer of what actually dealing with a large animal entails.  A small space where the clan stores dozens of animals is going to STIIIIINK.  I like having the piles of poop to remind me of that, just as I like the rotting bodies on Meleth's, and I like the starving street-girl's stomach rumbling, etc. 

I see this as offering nothing but more RP possibilities.  If you don't want to shovel shit, don't.  I know some of my character concepts won't have anything to do with that job.  But hurrah for now having a really gross chore that I pay some gritty poor person in the Gaj or wherever to do for me.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

February 19, 2009, 12:30:08 PM #132 Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:12:16 PM by deviant storm
Woot. Picking up poop does lead to smell. Now I just need to find out where to offer this bag of poop.

Edit: I wanted to add I found him, and the pay wasn't really that great, but what can you expect, it's shit, not gold we're selling there. Mining and salt gathering still pay better.

What I want to know now is whether a sack of dung could be used as a weapon.  ;D
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Are all mount types supposed to be doing this?  I have one that does poop, and another that doesn't.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Do we have the possibility of various diseases altering stooling patterns?  That would be cool if our mounts could get say, c.diff or something.  Cool in that it might take various cures, kill the mount, make big messes, render it useless for riding etc.

Experiened rangers and animal handlers might see a pile of loose and liquidy poo and think "Hrm, Gourda was this way - sick with kankle-berry poisoning.  Probably kill it after it suffers awhile.  I'll have to remember not to eat it's meat."

Quote from: Twilight on February 19, 2009, 01:43:31 PM
Are all mount types supposed to be doing this?  I have one that does poop, and another that doesn't.

I've asked a couple times if we should bug the poopless mounts, but I think my questions keep getting buried in... you know. 

... Olgaris?
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: DustMight on February 19, 2009, 02:11:20 PM
Do we have the possibility of various diseases altering stooling patterns?  That would be cool if our mounts could get say, c.diff or something.  Cool in that it might take various cures, kill the mount, make big messes, render it useless for riding etc.

For the love of Muk/Tek, please no.

Also found a problem.

For those of us with large stables and many mounts, we often keep STUFF in there. Such as trunks. With the mound of dung piling up 10 every 10 minutes(what with 10 mounts), that means if someone accidentally picks up something, they can't drop it because of one 10+ small piece of dung.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: deviant storm on February 19, 2009, 11:13:49 AM

Heh, make them big dung beetles. So, if you find a beetle nest, you're sure to find a huge mound of poop. And maybe some treasures stored down there too. Like trunks filled with equipment ;)
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I think this would have been better implemented as part of the "forage" skill.
your mother is an elf.

Quote from: X-D on February 19, 2009, 11:10:39 AM
All I can say is, Most of you have not spent any time around large plant eaters. Stick a horse in a stable, leave it there for one RL day and see how many different piles are there. Other animals are far worse, Ask your local zoo employee about the elephants some time.

As to decay, Zalanthus is a desert. I live in a desert. Animal droppings hang around for a LONG time. Not like when I lived in MI or OH when weather would take care of the problem in a week or so.

So we can have dung decay in Tuluk, but stick around in Allanak...

Quote from: tortall on February 19, 2009, 02:26:27 PM
Quote from: DustMight on February 19, 2009, 02:11:20 PM

For the love of Muk/Tek, please no.

Also found a problem.

For those of us with large stables and many mounts, we often keep STUFF in there. Such as trunks. With the mound of dung piling up 10 every 10 minutes(what with 10 mounts), that means if someone accidentally picks up something, they can't drop it because of one 10+ small piece of dung.

You keep stuff in your stables? That's disgusting. Take this as a reminder that mixing THINGS and POOP is GROSS.

Quote from: Ourla on February 19, 2009, 02:21:35 PM
Quote from: Twilight on February 19, 2009, 01:43:31 PM

I've asked a couple times if we should bug the poopless mounts, but I think my questions keep getting buried in... you know. 

... Olgaris?

Feel free to e-mail me mounts that aren't pooping. There are a lot of different things that people ride (I've found out) so it's easy to overlook some. As always, CC the mud on any correspondence with an immortal and please include your account name.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Quote from: Thunkkin on February 19, 2009, 08:25:46 AM
Also, I got a warm fuzzy feeling and a big grin when I saw my first poop IC.

A shiteating grin?
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Olgaris on February 19, 2009, 03:27:55 PMYou keep stuff in your stables? That's disgusting. Take this as a reminder that mixing THINGS and POOP is GROSS.

In their defense, many stables are described as having stalls, which would technically confine the worst of the poop to certain areas, but since the code doesn't differentiate specific locations in a room, the poop in that stall down the hall keeps you from dropping that crate of leathers and whatnot back down beside the door.

Oooh, builders!
> enter 1.stall
> enter 2.stall
> enter 3.stall
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on February 19, 2009, 03:44:03 PM
Oooh, builders!
> enter 1.stall
> enter 2.stall
> enter 3.stall

I think stalls would be a great fix to the huge stable problems with having to much poop in the main stable, and would give stablehands more to be beat over / clean up! 90% the poop would most likely be in the stalls, where the animals are kept. And the last 10% would be all over the main floor, but most likely cleaned up quickly by stablehands.
Say we left stall 3 unclean! GASP!

Though can we really ask so much of our builders? We love them so.  :-*

Also.. I am so going make my next-next PC a stable boy down in some city, and clean shit for clans for a small fee. LOL
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: deviant storm on February 19, 2009, 11:13:49 AM

Reminded me of a dung beetle in Mother 3. You brought him some dung and he kept on accidentally rolling it into an oasis, but would give you money.

Quote from: a strange shadow on February 19, 2009, 03:37:14 PM
Quote from: Olgaris on February 19, 2009, 03:27:55 PMYou keep stuff in your stables? That's disgusting. Take this as a reminder that mixing THINGS and POOP is GROSS.

In their defense, many stables are described as having stalls, which would technically confine the worst of the poop to certain areas, but since the code doesn't differentiate specific locations in a room, the poop in that stall down the hall keeps you from dropping that crate of leathers and whatnot back down beside the door.

This. I have worked in stables before at several camps. There's usually an office attached, a storage room for supplies such as feed, saddles, cleaning supplies, shovels for cleaning out the stalls.... The pathways walking between the stalls also almost never have shit dropped. Making stuff smelly because it's in the same "room" as poop is kinda odd(dunno if this is the case, but that seems to be the way things are going). Now, someone trying to be helpful and putting dung in those crates... Yah, that would make it REALLY smelly.  ;D
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: tortall on February 19, 2009, 04:43:40 PM
Making stuff smelly because it's in the same "room" as poop is kinda odd(dunno if this is the case, but that seems to be the way things are going).

This is not the case, from the brief checking I've done in one instance of this being reported.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Stuff does not get smelly from being in the same room as poop. Having poop in a room does not affect your ability to put things into a crate/chest that was there previously.

If there is not enough room on the floor to put stuff on the floor then clear out the poop, then put stuff on the floor.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

I don't know about others, but seeing so much dung out in the wilderness is a little jarring. You'd think it would get covered by the brushes and the shifting sands and stuff, so that only by carefully looking for it would you find any...

Like playing pickup football in the field. It's not until you actually almost step in shit (or roll in it) that you notice it.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti