Artistry

Started by Jingo, February 17, 2009, 08:31:30 PM

For a while I've been considering making a proper artist character, most likely in Tuluk. But it occurs to me that I cannot actually create my own artwork, like a bard can create a song.

There are even items for the sake of artistry.

So I'm wondering if with the right tools and the right skills, I could create a unique painting or a sculpture. Something like with the scribble command; say I'll start with my blank canvas, input the description, and Voila! come out with a painted canvas.

Any takers?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I love this idea, myself. I hope someone snatches this up and adds it to the flurry of amazing new changes.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

This is already possible, through Staff support (obviously).  I've seen several pieces of painted art that were done by PC, ICly.

A codded option to do so, though..I like it, but am afraid of having a totally new character pop in and all of a sudden be a "master painter".
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

February 17, 2009, 11:18:30 PM #3 Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 11:21:18 PM by Thunkkin
Quote from: Pale Horse on February 17, 2009, 10:55:31 PM
This is already possible, through Staff support (obviously).  I've seen several pieces of painted art that were done by PC, ICly.

A codded option to do so, though..I like it, but am afraid of having a totally new character pop in and all of a sudden be a "master painter".

As opposed to master dancer (through good emoting) or master poet (through good writing)?  I don't think people should have to grind art.  Yes, art takes practice ... but ... yeah.

Objects that are basically "writable" pictures would be neat.  The artist writes a description of the painting, the text can't be erased or edited, voila .. when you look at the object, you see the text describing the painting.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Would be awesome if a hidden 'art' skill could be added, would be a neat subguild and similar to the way read/write works. I'd absolutely LOVE this.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I used to occasionally write up Allanaki artist characters, but without being able to create painting, mosaics or other items of art, it is mostly useless.

When I queried the staff on this issue several years back (perhaps 3 now) I was told that they would not be crafting art objects for artist characters.

So, unfortunately, portraits of most characters won't get done, nor statues, mosaics, landscapes and on and on. 

I would be happy as a gimpka rat in filth if I could desc my own art objects and have someone approve them.  Alas!

Quote from: Pale Horse on February 17, 2009, 10:55:31 PM

Our characters have had virtual lives up until the point when we inhabit them.

It's regrettable that Arm's normal skills don't scale with age and it's regrettable that a fourteen-year-old and forty-year-old both start out equally as unskilled as a neutered kitten with tape on its paws and a sock over its head.

If somebody apped a character who'd been painting their entire life and hopped into game as a "master painter," I wouldn't really have much of an issue with it.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on February 18, 2009, 04:58:30 AM

Our characters have had virtual lives up until the point when we inhabit them.

It's regrettable that Arm's normal skills don't scale with age and it's regrettable that a fourteen-year-old and forty-year-old both start out equally as unskilled as a neutered kitten with tape on its paws and a sock over its head.

If somebody apped a character who'd been painting their entire life and hopped into game as a "master painter," I wouldn't really have much of an issue with it.

I love that metaphor.

I'd venture to say that if someone app'ed as a "master painter," they'd be depriving themselves of alot of fun roleplay, and gain nothing coded intrinsically from being awesome at faithfully rendering Amos' chiseled jaw and piercing eyes.  It'd be more enjoyable to, say, accidentally fuck up Lord Fale's smile, making him subtly like a jozhal with buck teeth.  Playing out learning a talent is half the fun of having it, in my experience, especially with skills that won't let you kick anybody's ass.  If you're in Tuluk, do it on purpose - even better, try to do it on purpose, do it subtly enough that no one notices, and drink yourself into a stupor over feeling stupid about being too subtle.

This could be limited to characters with certain backgrounds, if we're so concerned about someone applying for a portrait, but really, it would be awesome if we had an easy way to apply for our own desc'ed pieces of art.  Joe Amos Byn the Third is still going to trout-slap you with the code if all you do is sit around sketching and painting masterpieces, so I disagree with any coded limitation on this that isn't tied with inconvenience for the staff and inconsistency with the gameworld.

In summary, I dig this.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

February 18, 2009, 07:20:55 AM #8 Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 07:23:19 AM by SMuz
I think it would be fun having a painter subguild. It'll take a while to code, but it should be codedly done, since it makes things fair. And it'll save the staff much more time from having to create objects just for one painter.

I'd say something similar to the system Dwarf Fortress uses would be fine enough, where the quality of the object is determined by your level of skill. It could be written off the "scribble" code.
Paint
This command allows you to create a painting. The quality of your painting depends on your painting skill.
You must have an object for painting held in your hand.
The brief desc of the object will appear first, where you will then be expected to draw the main description based on
the result of your brief desc.

Syntax: paint (canvas) <brief description>

Example of low skill use:
> paint paper picture of a pack of gortoks
You draw a poorly painted picture of a pack of gortoks.

Enter a description for your painting. (maximum 6 lines)
> This is a smudged, abstract picture of a pack of gortoks.
> The gortoks stand under some brownish-green smudges that appear to be trees.
> In the middle of the scene, there is a large pool of blood, a humanoid creature, and one of the gortoks holds its boots.

Example of high skill use:
> paint paper picture of a pack of gortoks
You draw a beautiful picture of a pack of gortoks.

Enter a description for your painting. (maximum 6 lines)
> This is a beautifully sketched picture of a pack of gortoks sitting around a table.
> A mangy gortok, a tall, bald gortok, and a grey-furred gortok sit around a leather-covered agafari table.
> The table has on it a pile of obsidian coins and some Kruth cards.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.