Can we have a crafting list, please?

Started by SMuz, February 05, 2009, 08:14:10 AM

Quote from: SMuz on February 13, 2009, 07:00:48 PM
Oh wow, thank you! Would be great if I could figure whether I use a saw for making a wooden sword, or a woodcrafting knife :D

Damn, now if only my character wasn't such a prick about crafting certain things that he could codedly do. Oh, well, I'll still get OOC pleasure from trying to figure out new recipes now, never knew that I could make a sword out of a log :P

"Assess" the tool you want to use.  You'll get an argument back saying what it would be useful for.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

The 'assess' return is often mildly confusing, though.

For instance, if I assess a woodworking knife, it says it would help in carving wood.

Now...arrow shafts are made of wood, but you don't make them with the woodworking skill...will the woodworking knife assist in making arrow shafts?  What about rings carved from wood?

And some of them are just bizarre.  I believe there's an awl or an auger that says, "this would be useful for drilling holes."  Okay.  I don't see the "drilling holes" skill on my list anywhere....
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

This would be great.

Assess:
This is made from a block of wood, you might find a saw and a woodcarving knife useful if you try to make it.

Also, some way to know what our characters can't make - for example making a thing out of two flat rocks.

Now my character might be able to take "a grey lumpy rock" and make "a smooth square rock" but I as a player may not know I will never branch to make a flat rock from a smooth square rock.  Knowing this would allow me to save time and develop some RP by hiring someone to get me flat rocks that I will never be able to make.

The more I think of this, though, I suppose what I'm asking is to know what kinds of "parts" one can make from the basic materials for my particular craft skill. 

On the topic of the new crafting changes.. I have already encountered one craft which my character had used, and which I thought was justifiably in it's correct place, but has been moved to another skill. Is my character just supposed to pretend he forgot how to make that perticular craft overnight? Any thoughts?
Someone says: I imagine the festivities have worn you thin... Well good. I plan on leading patrols over the next month, that would turn even your shriveled manhoods into sturdy poles of destruction.

No, you're supposed to pretend your character never could make it.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Amos says to you,
Can you make me another doodlewhatsit?

You say to amos,
A what? I have never heard of such.

Amos says to you, confused,
What? You made me one last week.

you say to amos, raising an eyebrow,
No I didn't.

you say, out of character:
Due to code changed, I can no longer make, nor have I ever made, doodlewhatsits. Sowwies. :(

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: mangler on February 14, 2009, 08:43:38 AM
On the topic of the new crafting changes.. I have already encountered one craft which my character had used, and which I thought was justifiably in it's correct place, but has been moved to another skill. Is my character just supposed to pretend he forgot how to make that perticular craft overnight? Any thoughts?

You can email me with your specific case.  I did put a fair bit of thought into the changes I made, and consulted with other staff members where I wasn't sure.  I'm not saying I wouldn't change anything back, but you'll need to convince me.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

I seem to remember hearing staff say before that their were some items that were creatable by different recipes from different skills...
Is this another case of my horrible memory letting me down?

If I am wrong, it does seem logical that some items would be creatable by different crafting skills, simple stone rings from stoneworking as well as jewelrymaking, for example.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

There are items that can be crafted using two different crafting skills, yes.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.