Retaining new players (and vets)

Started by number13, January 21, 2009, 12:41:31 PM

Quote from: Morgenes on January 26, 2009, 11:31:17 AM
You will now get an email when your character dies.  It only gives a link to the bio tool, but it's a start.

Very nice!
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

You will now get an email when your character dies.  It only gives a link to the bio tool, but it's a start.

Well goddamn.

Quote from: Ender on January 26, 2009, 11:32:37 AM

Very nice!

Yes.

And quick, somebody test this.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 26, 2009, 11:47:06 AM
Quote from: Ender on January 26, 2009, 11:32:37 AM

Very nice!

Yes.

And quick, somebody test this.

So that we don't have any suicides to test this, the message you will receive is:

Subject: Death of <character name> (<account name>) on ArmageddonMUD
Hello,

We are sorry to see that your character, <character name>, has recently died.  To get a list of their biography entries, go to:

http://www.armageddon.org/resources/player_tools/displayBio.php

Thanks for playing, and we hope to see you back again soon.

Best Regards,

The Armageddon Staff
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Nice addition, thanks Morgenes!

Consider this addition: "P.S. We will make sure that your boots go to a worthy player."
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

This may be a little late but if we are going to have a death email, can I offer a suggestion on the wording?

"Thanks for playing" makes me think the game is over (as opposed to the PC)  so perhaps something like "Great try with <pc name>, to continue playing Armageddon just submit a new character."
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I agree with my My2Sids.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Thanks, Morg!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Thanks I can't wait to get it....

As an April fools joke you can mass send it to everyone.

Quote from: AJM
Only noobs quote themselves.

Quote from: My 2 sids on January 26, 2009, 12:23:47 PM
This may be a little late but if we are going to have a death email, can I offer a suggestion on the wording?

"Thanks for playing" makes me think the game is over (as opposed to the PC)  so perhaps something like "Great try with <pc name>, to continue playing Armageddon just submit a new character."

"Great try" sounds a little condescending to me (though I know you mean to be encouraging).  I do think encouraging someone to submit a new character is a good idea.

My suggestion:

"Thank you for your contribution to our living, breathing world.  It is our sincere hope that you return with a new character to write a fresh chapter in the ongoing story that is Armageddon."
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

I suggest:

Wow ... bet you weren't expecting that when you logged on huh?
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: IntuitiveApathy on January 26, 2009, 03:21:33 PM
Quote from: My 2 sids on January 26, 2009, 12:23:47 PM

"Great try" sounds a little condescending to me (though I know you mean to be encouraging).  I do think encouraging someone to submit a new character is a good idea.

My suggestion:

"Thank you for your contribution to our living, breathing world.  It is our sincere hope that you return with a new character to write a fresh chapter in the ongoing story that is Armageddon."

I like that.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I like it a lot.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

How about something that makes it more clear when you aren't hitched to your mount.  Nothing is more frustrating and depressing as a newbie as when your lose your mount, have no funds, and realize the huge amounts of OOC/IC frustration that lie ahead.  Yes, this can be turned around into a fun RP experience.  But not everyone plays to grind mount cash ... that's what world of warcraft is for.