Player Superstitions about Character Deaths

Started by FantasyWriter, December 19, 2008, 12:43:40 PM

December 19, 2008, 12:43:40 PM Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:25:11 PM by FantasyWriter
Everyone knows about the [old superstition] that if you get a sdesc change, you will die soon after.  It is a fact of life [for some people].

Another [superstition] (at least for me) is OOC assistance from staff.  Everytime this happens I die soon after.

I played a sponsored role once.  A staff member gave me an object I needed for a clan plotline.  I died less than two hours later.

I had a spec app once that I had waited on for almost six months. 
I played for three days out of the box, and when the staff got around to fixing what was special about it for me, I died less than 20 minutes later.

Most recently, I had a BRAND NEW PC that I had chosen the wrong subguild letter for during chargen. 
Less than 20 minutes after an IMM fixed it for me, guess what? Yeah, mantis head.

Anyone else have [superstitions] that they would like to share?

Edited in hopes of a rerail.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Don't request skills your pc shouldn't have, if you get accepted, you're fucked.
Lesson learned.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: FantasyWritertaboo

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 19, 2008, 12:43:40 PM
Everyone knows about the taboo of if you get a sdesc change, you will die soon after.  It is a fact of life.

Another taboo (at least for me) is OOC assistance from staff.  Everytime this happens I die soon after.

I played a sponsored role once.  A staff member gave me an object I needed for a clan plotline.  I died less than two hours later.

I had a spec app once that I had waited on for almost six months. 
I played for three days out of the box, and when the staff got around to fixing what was special about it for me, I died less than 20 minutes later.

Most recently, I had a BRAND NEW PC that I had chosen the wrong subguild letter for during chargen. 
Less than 20 minutes after an IMM fixed it for me, guess what? Yeah, mantis head.

Anyone else have taboos that they would like to share?

Over the course of 44 PCs, I can't really say I've seen this kind of bad luck. I had a PC that had major sdesc and mdesc changes who lived for 15+ days played afterwards until I retired her. I've also had PCs with mdesc changes, skill changes, and stat ups at like 3 days played that lived to see 36-40 days played.

This superstition is probably something along the lines of a self-fulfilling prophecy; I'm half-convinced people subconsciously direct their PCs to their demises just so they can reaffirm it with anecdotal evidence.

Once, after a noteworthy staff lead event and on glorious return.. I lead my esteemed party into a fairly
deep chasm that only a small percentage of us really had a good chance to climb out of.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Quote from: Mood on December 19, 2008, 12:50:39 PM
Quote from: FantasyWritertaboo

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Wiki:
A taboo is a strong social prohibition (or ban) against words, objects, actions, or discussions that are considered undesirable or offensive by a group, culture, society, or community.

Character death is very undesirable "action" to our "community."  These are events to lead to an undesirable end.
Not a perfect match for the definition, but close enough, me thinks.

;)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

First, most of the time your character doesn't die of your own volition, so it's not really an "action".  Second, it's not really "undesirable" because it happens all the time, and it's certainly not "offensive" to the community.

A taboo would be like... purposefully creating a character with the same sdesc of another character.  Not technically against the rules (I think), but really jerk move.

Wouldn't it be more of a superstition, anyway?
1. a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.
2. a system or collection of such beliefs.
3. a custom or act based on such a belief.
4. irrational fear of what is unknown or mysterious, esp. in connection with religion.
5. any blindly accepted belief or notion.

To add to this, though - yeah. I once convinced someone Totally Awesome to draw my character, and they happened to IM me (to ask about some minor detail or another) while I was typing 'flee' and while I didn't die, I've never come closer yet (with this character) than that.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Yeah, "superstition" is a better word for this thread.

It's a taboo when you don't make the request so that you will 'keep you character alive.'

It's a superstition when you 'don't believe all that claptrap.'

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Taboo implies strong social disapproval upon breaking the taboo, that's why the usage here is inappropriate.

We're talking about superstitions here, people.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

December 19, 2008, 04:16:29 PM #11 Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:18:05 PM by Zira
I think it should be "Personal Armageddon Taboo" since a personal taboo would be something you've forbidden yourself from doing. Superstitions, in my opinion, require more than one person to believe it.

On that note... I'd say for me, it'd be... don't wish up for a templar animation during off peak times, especially not because you want to report a crime, and there's no way your PC would go running to the nearest tavern when there's a templar within sight. In my experience, it's a waste of time.
Quote from: Rahnevyn
QuoteWhat is the difference between a Highlord and Overlord?
OLs are like HLs on steroids. They make the Really Big Decisions that affect the course of the entire game.

December 19, 2008, 04:24:21 PM #12 Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:27:23 PM by Ampere
My char did a 'gick once.

That, is a taboo.

EDIT: toned it down
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Fixed title and OP. 
For the love of Tek, you guys can be brutal, lol.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I think 'about' should be capitalized in this thread's title.  It really throws off the immersive theme of the title to not have that capital A.  Everything else is capitalized, even 'Re:' (which realistically should not be), and yet you're trying to keep down 'about' like it doesn't even matter.

This is fucking bullshit.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I heard if you complain about FantasyWriter's word usage he goes out and kills your character.

;)

Quote from: Malifaxis on December 19, 2008, 05:31:20 PM
I think 'about' should be capitalized in this thread's title.  It really throws off the immersive theme of the title to not have that capital A.  Everything else is capitalized, even 'Re:' (which realistically should not be), and yet you're trying to keep down 'about' like it doesn't even matter.

I could have capitalized about, but then I would have had to Bolded or CAPS LOCKed "Player Superstitions" and "Character Deaths" to emphasize what the thread was about.

Both of would have just looked silly, so I like it how it is. ;)

PS- I hope you have a high scan skill, because I SEE YOU!
Grebber - One who grebs.

I try not to do anything too dangerous (or even play too long) on Sundays.

For some reason...most of my characters die on Sundays.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead." - Albert Einstein

Quote from: Malifaxis on December 19, 2008, 05:31:20 PM

LOL
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

There's a certain, innocuous skill-related topic ... and whenever I mention it to a younger clan member, they die or vanish within about 24 hours.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on December 19, 2008, 10:22:17 PM
There's a certain, innocuous skill-related topic ... and whenever I mention it to a younger clan member, they die or vanish within about 24 hours.

So what clan has a topic on Gather?

QuoteSkill Gather  (Magick) 

This skill allows your character to collect magickal energy from nearby lifeforce. All magick and all life are inextricably linked, and thus whenever anyone wishes to accumulate sufficient 'mana' for spellcasting, one must drain the necessary energy from a lifeforce.

There are two schools of gathering: one which brutally takes life from the local flora, and another which attempts to collect energy from oneself. The activity of gathering will inflict physical harm to the participant, the extent of the damage is based on your character's skill proficiency and relationship to the land.

Defiling, as the first method is called, will typically cause...
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."