Special apps

Started by Lakota, December 19, 2008, 12:20:59 AM

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 31, 2009, 11:02:10 PM
Me too. Why not just send it to an apped sorcerer?

I sort of thought that about not just gather, but the different paths of magick as well. And while we're sending stuff to people when they get their character approved ... a little message saying how to look at the spell helpfiles would be nice.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on February 01, 2009, 01:32:07 AM
a little message saying how to look at the spell helpfiles would be nice.
AMEN.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: musashi on February 01, 2009, 01:32:07 AM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 31, 2009, 11:02:10 PM
Me too. Why not just send it to an apped sorcerer?

I sort of thought that about not just gather, but the different paths of magick as well. And while we're sending stuff to people when they get their character approved ... a little message saying how to look at the spell helpfiles would be nice.

While I agree that information about gathering and the paths of knowledge aren't common knowledge to characters, most people would find it very difficult, if not impossible to write a fleshed out background for a sorc if they did not know those basic bits of information.  Honestly, those few files hold no greater secrets than the help files for "sea_of_eternal_dust", "language_tatlum", or the plant "runebane" do.

Aside from those helpfiles, the only other knowledge I had to go by when I wrote my sorcerer's background was what I learned through correspondence with the the Imms.  One of them was kind enough to give me some basic examples of how one might learn true magick.  Since there are few helpfiles and no example backgrounds for sorcs that is about the only option we have.  Taking away what little lore the players have access to might keep a few secrets hidden, but I don't having everyone know that information poses any sort of threat.  How many times have you met a Bynner or a Merchant asking around about the Path of Movement or the Path of War?  Chances are, you haven't.  So I'm confident the issue in question isn't a big deal.

Aside from that, adding a blurb to the "skills" helpfile that teaches everyone how to look up available skill help by subdivision, i.e., "help psi_<skill>" "help magick_<skill>"  help "language_<skill>" would be helpful.