It would be nice...

Started by Cerelum, December 19, 2008, 12:16:21 AM

This thread is for talking about things you wish would be added or modified in the current arm.

First thing I would love is rangers being able to forage specifically for water.

JaRoD

Quote from: Cerelum on December 19, 2008, 12:16:21 AM
This thread is for talking about things you wish would be added or modified in the current arm.

First thing I would love is rangers being able to forage specifically for water.

JaRoD

If you "forage food" in the right places, guess what?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Riev on December 19, 2008, 12:27:18 AM
No.

This bears repeating. I've seen this thread before, and it doesn't end well for anyone. Staff responses are "you'll see it in 2.Arm", so saying "What I would like to see in Armageddon proper" is kind of a slap in the face.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

JaRoD
Seriously, no. Just enjoy the game. If you need help in certain instances, wish or e-mail staff to re-arrange something. Water isn't just going to be foragable somewhere. There are PLENTY of places IG that have water outside of city-states, and only those who know where they are can get them. The end.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Riev on December 19, 2008, 12:45:45 AM
Staff responses are "you'll see it in 2.Arm", so saying "What I would like to see in Armageddon proper" is kind of a slap in the face.

I hear ya, but staff have been known to get excited about an idea and Just Do It. ;)

And, to that end: called hits and called shots.

> tell amos (smiling) Hey, is that 'elmet tembo hide?  Can I 'ave me a look?
> hit amos' head

> shoot scrab's neck north
> shoot walter's apple north
> shoot soldier's hand
Your arrow strikes a human soldier of Tektolnes on the hand.
A human soldier of Tektolnes drops his jade-emblazoned longsword.

The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

1. Ability for magickers to cancel magickal effects they cast on themselves.

2. Change the assassin skill tree so that antidotes come first.

3. Change barrier so that it isn't a completely paper defense.

4. Give the "thief" subclass the peek skill.

5. Give pickpockets the bludgeoning weapons skill.

6. All subclasses that get the "value" skill should also get the "haggle" skill.

7. Allow rangers to rest while hidden, so that outdoor stealth isn't primarily the province of d-elves.

8. Change the combat code balance to make agility useful again.

9. Put more cheap, half-giant-sized armor/weapons/clothing/items in the game.

10. Give warriors some useful "miscellaneous" starting skills so they aren't so damned boring.

Ten's a good number to stop at, I suppose.

Rangers can forage for things which contain water very easily.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on December 19, 2008, 01:46:39 AM

Fuck no.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 19, 2008, 02:31:36 AM
6. All subclasses that get the "value" skill should also get the "haggle" skill.
7. Allow rangers to rest while hidden, so that outdoor stealth isn't primarily the province of d-elves.
10. Give warriors some useful "miscellaneous" starting skills so they aren't so damned boring.

1. Yeah.
2. Yeah.
3. Maybe barrier should be more dependant on Wis, so that high-Wis characters are more able to resist psis. But psis are supposed to be awesome. That's why they're k.o.s. EVERYWHERE.
4. Yeah.
5. Yeah.
6. Heck no. Knowing what something is worth is not at all related to your ability to smooth-talk.
7. Sit while hidden, at a penalty, maybe. Rest while hidden, too good.
8. Agility is still very very useful.
9. Yeah.
10. I don't understand what they could possibly be given, short of mostly-useless things like armor repair. They can already forage, cook, and skin.

Stuff I'd like to see in 1.Arm:

Those gravestones I sent a log in about over two years ago.

Quote from: jstorrie on December 19, 2008, 03:02:08 AM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on December 19, 2008, 01:46:39 AM
Nuck phở.
YOUR JUST SAYING THAT BECAUSE WE HAVE DDISAGREEMENTS ABOUT VERTUE ETHICS ARENT IT

Can you be more specific?  Too hard to balance?  Too powerful an ability for a master warrior / ranger?  Too conducive to cheesy ninja play?

Seems like this was one of the items on Halaster's Big List, back in the day.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

No, I'm not getting into the called shots argument again. Use the search tool. It's been discussed to death.

I'm not even going to get in to called shots.  I mean really.  Really?  Seriously?  No.

As with unarmed, we don't have Chuck Norris in Zalanthas, nor do we have Jet Li or Jackie Chan.  We also don't have Robin Fucking Hood.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 19, 2008, 02:31:36 AM

Ten's a good number to stop at, I suppose.

1:  Meh, maybe.  Some things.  Other things, no.  Sorry.  You should plan your shit better if this is a problem.  I hate the idea of a magickal 'clapper' system where a mage can just power the fuck down whenever they need to run under a Templar's skirts?

2:  Why?  One of the things that makes a good assassin so rare is that stupid people can't play good assassins.  Just takes a bit of planning, and forethought, you know, LIKE ASSASSINS SHOULD BE GOOD AT.

3:  I have no comment for this.  Obviously you've never played a class which is thwarted by this 'paper' defense.

4:  No.  For fucks sake, no.

5:  Dude, put down that pipe, it's not tobacco you're smoking.  See that little white rock in there?  It's not a diamond.

6:  I like this one.  This I agree with.

7:  Hmm, lets examine this one.  We have, on one hand, a human who has most likely lived in a civilized area for sometime who likes to dabble in being outdoorsy.  On the other hand, we have an elf who was not only born on the sand, but was most likely stung by a scorpion before they finished crying for the first time.  You know... I'm not even finishing this one.  I don't see the point of it.  It's just... no.  Seriously.  No.   Fuck.

8:  THE PIPE.  PUT IT DOWN.  Agility?  Not useful?  You're going to drive me to drink heavily.

9:  Yeah, um, because a shirt that includes enough fabric for a human sized tent should be cheap.

10:  *head/desk* up-arrow return up-arrow return up-arrow return up-arrow return

One thing I'd like to see in arm is more people focusing on how to make the game intriguing, by filling it with murder, betrayal, and corruption, instead of arguing about how combat isn't powerful enough.  You know.  Since that's, like, the focus of the fucking game.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I kinda like the ranger one.
In the desert, I can wrap myself in camo and sit with much more effectiveness than if I were standing.
If I were in the forest I could hide in a tree. (had a huge willow tree when I was a kid that I use to sleep in.)

Code wise for the game, I would like to be able to sit and hide, but not rest or sleep.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

1)

It would be nice if everybody in the game were able to roughly determine weights of items before buying them, "value" skill or not.

"Oh, this armor doesn't look so heavy based on it's description."

*buy armor*

*Collapses under weight*

"WHAT THE FWAAAUCK?!"

*Rage*
----------------
2)

It would be nice if the ecosystem were relatively self-sustaining.

NPC animals would codedly mate, codedly produce offspring, codedly grow old, and codedly die to age, codedly eat grasses and plants that would codedly grow, codedly spread seeds, etc., etc.

And it would all be on such a scale that three or four players couldn't screw it all up.

But, mass genocide of carru, for instance, would have actual consequences. Carru would become extremely rare and over time, could either repopulate or go extinct over time.

Overhunting and poaching could become highly illegal, you could even have a clan dedicated to monitoring hunting activity and whatnot, licenses and all that other fun stuff.

There would be different variations of animals.

Just like you have white-tail deer, mule deer, black-tail deer, etc., etc., etc, you could have southern carru, spotted carru, northern beetles, brown beetles, sand beetles, etc., etc., etc.
---------
3)

More dynamic diseases and poisons. From debilitating ailments to minor nuisances.
---------
4)

More substances and drugs other than just spice.

I want to walk through the wilderness, be hungry as hell, and eat some mushrooms I find.

And those mushrooms will put me on Litharu spanking Lord Templar Hardnose while a mekillot dances ballet.

Maybe something else that's more common and accepted everywhere, kinda like how cigarettes are IRL.
---------
5)

PLEASE! I WANT TO KNOW WHEN THAT MASSIVE, BLINDING SANDSTORM COMES ROILING TOWARDS THE CITY! The "weather" command just doesn't quite cut it in that respect.
---------
6)

More to come as I think.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 19, 2008, 11:45:13 PM
stuff.

Wow... I agree with all of these!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Malifaxis on December 19, 2008, 02:28:16 PM
Stuff.

Please don't troll. Perhaps you didn't mean to, or perhaps I'm just reading it too negatively, but I think that post could bear with a little toning down, and a calmer more constructive disagreement. I would not be inclined to listen to somebody if they told me 90 percent of my ideas were "No just no fuck no you must be smoking crack," and didn't even extend the couritsy of offering an opinion of why.

Also I believe some human tribal rangers would have also grown up on the sands, so I have to disagree with the counter arguement you did provide for that one suggestion. I don't think delves are the only people able to become deeply familiar with the wilds, because they aren't the only people living out there.

In other news ...

I'd like to see all of the classes have at least 1 of the four main weapon types added to their starting skills, even if at a pathetically low cap. I'm just always scratching my head at the fact that everyone gets two-handed, dual wield, and shield use apparently ... but not piercing weapons, slashing weapons, blunt weapons, ect ... just strikes me as inconsistent.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I'd like the called shots idea.

Realistically, if you wanted to hit someone in the head, and only in the head, what would be stopping you?

You don't turn into a whirlwind of fists and blades when you get into a fight.

I agree there should be limits and stuff to called shots, like hitting entirely less frequently because you're waiting for an opening for where you were aiming. It would be something only really experienced fighters would be able to do with any real degree of success, unless it was the first swing or something.

Why can't I aim an arrow to a certain part of a person or animal?

Bow hunters do it -all the time-.

I've never heard of a bow hunter accidentally hitting a wild hog in the foot, unless he just sucked that hard.

Sure, it would take -much- longer to take aim and shoot, but there's nothing wrong with it.

I have not read the old called shots threads so I'm just speculating but I think other folk's problem with it goes something along the lines of: Right now the damage bonuses for neck shots and the like are very very very very very high, and it's somewhat balanced out by the fact that it's a rarity when it happens.

If one could make called shots there repeatedly it would be easily abused.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

A few more ideas directed at wildlife.

Why the hell do animals just sit there and take arrows?

Seriously?

If carru are anything at all similar to caribou, moose, elk, deer, etc., etc., etc.

They should run at the first sign of danger, hell, deer run when they hear a few sticks break the wrong way.

Now I can see a raptor or a beetle get pissed and chase down whatever was shooting at them.

Realistically, a carru should be a pretty hefty score. A deer could feed a family for around week at least, I don't see why a carru shouldn't.
----------
Building up off my self-sustaining ecosystem, what the animal ate, and how frequently the animal ate should reflect on how big the animal is.

I see alpha-male badass gortoks coming out of this, little runt gortoks. For most any animal.

Also, it would be neat if carru grew countable points and whatnot on their antlers and such. It can become something of a sport for the higher rungs of society. Hunters with carru heads mounted on their wall and stuff.
----------
We need moar animals too. Smaller, common animals similar to rabbits other than tregils, other bigger rodents to hunt. Bigger, bear-like animals, we need MOAR!

Quote from: musashi on December 20, 2008, 01:48:36 AM
I have not read the old called shots threads so I'm just speculating but I think other folk's problem with it goes something along the lines of: Right now the damage bonuses for neck shots and the like are very very very very very high, and it's somewhat balanced out by the fact that it's a rarity when it happens.

Now what exactly is stopping a 100+ day warrior from parrying a blade out of the way and going for a vital area?

It shouldn't be something that any old warrior or assassin or whatever combat-experienced character can do.

If a character can survive long enough, and get enough combat experience, I don't see why he won't be able to concentrate his attacks on a certain area.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 20, 2008, 01:52:40 AM

Now what exactly is stopping a 100+ day warrior from parrying a blade out of the way and going for a vital area?

It shouldn't be something that any old warrior or assassin or whatever combat-experienced character can do.

If a character can survive long enough, and get enough combat experience, I don't see why he won't be able to concentrate his attacks on a certain area.

I have seen a very accomplished, non-assassin, human combat character take another relatively accomplished one from full health to mortally wounded in exactly three lightning-fast tics of combat. Then they nearly killed another character in sparring, after two hits.

I have to say that things seem fine as they stand, in that respect.

Quote from: a strange shadow on December 20, 2008, 02:04:52 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 20, 2008, 01:52:40 AM

I have seen a very accomplished, non-assassin, human combat character take another relatively accomplished one from full health to mortally wounded in exactly three lightning-fast tics of combat. Then they nearly killed another character in sparring, after two hits.

I have to say that things seem fine as they stand, in that respect.

So, seeing as how the code automatically spammed vital shots on its own, would you be against that accomplished non-assassin consciously aiming those hits to legs or feet?

It'd also be nice if hard hits to unarmored hands forced a weapon drop, or whatever else was being held at whatever moment.

December 20, 2008, 02:13:43 AM #21 Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 02:18:29 AM by FantasyWriter
Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 20, 2008, 01:50:01 AM

If carru are anything at all similar to caribou, moose, elk, deer, etc., etc., etc.

They should run at the first sign of danger, hell, deer run when they hear a few sticks break the wrong way.

Quote from: Docs
Carru     (General)

Territorial by nature and dangerous by virtue of their size (tall as a kank at the shoulder, but slimmer overall) and spearlike antlers, an adult carru can pose a significant threat to the unwary. Normally herbivores of the drier parts of the north, their relative commoness there has made their hide, as well as their antlers, a commonly used material.

I always think of them as deer on LSD PCP.
Grebber - One who grebs.

More like a moose.

On PCP.

hehe, got my anogramed drugs crossed. ;)
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 20, 2008, 02:13:43 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 20, 2008, 01:50:01 AM

Quote from: Docs
Carru     (General)

Territorial by nature and dangerous by virtue of their size (tall as a kank at the shoulder, but slimmer overall) and spearlike antlers, an adult carru can pose a significant threat to the unwary. Normally herbivores of the drier parts of the north, their relative commoness there has made their hide, as well as their antlers, a commonly used material.

I always think of them as deer on LSD.

A moose could fuck a man up, but even they run when you hit them with an arrow.

Bears will often run too.

I'm not against a few braver animals who've seen a few animals charging and attacking, but not all of them like it is currently.