You know you are addicted to Arm when ...

Started by AJM, December 04, 2008, 07:12:48 PM

When decisions by staff directly contribute to a lack of sleep rl.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

when you request off work for an RPT.

don't lie, you know you've done it!
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

You walk in your kitchen, look over the left-overs, and think:
>forage food
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Fredd on October 22, 2009, 03:13:27 PM
when you request off work for an RPT.

don't lie, you know you've done it!

I was at a meeting before the last one, and I said, quite imperiously, that I had a "pressing engagement".

When you're sitting in a meeting with your boss and she asks "What does this stand for?" and, instead of Workforce Planning, you answer Warrior Poet.

Quote from: Preacher on May 05, 2009, 10:23:24 PM
No lie.

When you're on your way to work and see a landscaper pickup on the road in front of you.  The lawn mower in the back has a sign on it that says "WP1040" and you think to yourself, "Hmmm.  WarriorPoet makes lawnmowers?"

Damn you WP!  Stop haunting me!
The mottled, tattooed half-elf stops using his dusty long-legged brown cricket.

Think Poor cricket...

I think I've found a usefulness for Arm....besides the obvious ones, that is.

Today, I had a pig kidney dissection in Biology. I see a 'sack' which appeared to contain a liquid. Being the curious type, I cut open the sack, spraying said liquid over me and my desk. My teacher, after giggling, informed me that the liquid was in fact urine. I was pissed on by a dead pig. FML
#6340257 (57)

I agree, your life sucks (2313) - you totally deserved it (7159)

On 11/17/2009 at 11:12am - misc - by Araya (man) - United Kingdom (London)

Arm teaches you to avoid opening sacks without first looking inside them!
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

.... When you're working in 'R' (a command line statistics program) and get flustered, then just instinctively type "look".

You know you're addicted to arm when....

You generaly play in 9 hour spurts...
You assess people in RL and think you could tear them limb from limb...
You're disapointed in the lack of leather and sandcloth gear in your favourite clothing stores...
You try to create a halloween costume that makes you look like your character... (even though no one would get it)
You're laying on your death bed and you see a mantis head before you and think "welcome to armageddon"
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

A customer is not getting what you are telling them and you think pemote eyes roll in obvious frustration.

When you can think of so many scenarios you can play out in real life using text.

>say (posing naked in the mirror) Man, I've got a plump rump.
The short, tanned woman opens the door from the other side.
The short, tanned woman has arrived from the south.
>shout (covering ^me junk) God, mom! Knock first!
The short, tanned woman runs south.
>close do...
The short, tanned woman closes the door from the other side.
say (hopping into the shower) Jeez...
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

When someone is talking about a "claymore" and you think they mean the big sword, instead of the mine.  All cause you saw a "claymore" in game.

Quote from: Cerelum on November 30, 2009, 12:23:36 AM
When someone is talking about a "claymore" and you think they mean the big sword, instead of the mine.  All cause you saw a "claymore" in game.

I've associated claymores with William Wallace for some time.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on November 30, 2009, 12:34:44 AM

I've associated William Wallace with Muk Utep for some time.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on November 30, 2009, 12:36:10 AM
Quote from: MarshallDFX on November 30, 2009, 12:34:44 AM

I've associated William Wallace with Muk Utep for some time.

Wow, never made that connection before. :D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Now all we need to do is hang, draw and quarter him. >: D

/Team Allanak.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

I dreamed of branching a weapon skill one time...
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

December 04, 2009, 01:54:55 AM #566 Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 01:57:15 AM by HTX
True story:

I just spent my birthday outside on a hot summer's day (it's summer over here in Australia), getting swarmed by a huge cloud of flies as I cut open, dissected, butchered and skinned dead animals for hours on end with nothing but two blunt knives....

...Just to teach myself about skinning so I can do more detailed and realistic skinning emotes on Armageddon.

Is that badarse or what?

Too bad I didn't have any stone knives to work with (I cheated and used metal ones, I'm ashamed to admit - I'm going to try and get some stone tools so next time I stumble upon a kangeroo road-kill it'll be a more authentic Armageddon skinning experience).

I think we've all been humbled.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Quote from: HTX on December 04, 2009, 01:54:55 AM
True story:

I just spent my birthday outside on a hot summer's day (it's summer over here in Australia), getting swarmed by a huge cloud of flies as I cut open, dissected, butchered and skinned dead animals for hours on end with nothing but two blunt knives....

...Just to teach myself about skinning so I can do more detailed and realistic skinning emotes on Armageddon.

Is that badarse or what?

Too bad I didn't have any stone knives to work with (I cheated and used metal ones, I'm ashamed to admit - I'm going to try and get some stone tools so next time I stumble upon a kangeroo road-kill it'll be a more authentic Armageddon skinning experience).
That is badarse.

I've actually wanted to know what it's like to skin an animal in real life because I seriously find myself skinning alot of things on Armageddon and I'd like to know wtf I'm doing.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

When you take a year off, come back, take another year off, come back again...year after year...
Zalanthas won't let you go that easily.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

December 04, 2009, 10:57:54 PM #570 Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 11:02:46 PM by HTX
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on December 04, 2009, 04:06:34 PMI've actually wanted to know what it's like to skin an animal in real life because I seriously find myself skinning alot of things on Armageddon and I'd like to know wtf I'm doing.

Heh, needless to say it's very time-consuming work (never again will I finish skinning in animal in 5 seconds on Armageddon). I don't consider myself a skinning expert by any stretch (I'm sure there's much more quicker and efficient ways to skin an animal), but if you're wondering, here's what it was like:

(Disclaimer: I don't think I need to even say this, but skinning isn't the most glamorous work, so if you don't want to read all the details of what skinning involves please skip this post. The details aren't intended to disgust, but rather, inform, so I won't go light on the details to help you envision it better.)

Basically what I did was make a cut from throat to anus (note: the skin is tough so I had to use my blunt knives in a sawing motion, just imagine how much more difficult it would be with stone tools), then remove the intestines (and the rest of the digestive system), then livers, kidneys, heart and lungs; animals, while they may have entirely different physical characteristics on the outside, tend to have pretty similar layout on the inside, so even though I skinned three different species of animals all their internal organs were in predictable locations... the main difference been the kangeroo had a HUGE digestive system compared to the rabbit and wombat (something to do with its diet I guess), and had enormous muscles around the legs (don't wanna get kicked by a living one, right?) On the kangeroo, I noticed blood clots (dark, almost black splotches of blood) indicating some spots of where the blunt trauma from the car collision occurred, and it seems like the kangeroo died a painful death (two broken legs, multiple blood clots), but the rabbit died instantly (apparently you can tell by looking at the eyes).

The removal of the organs were easy enough , although the smell from the intestines were unpleasant and a massive swarm of flies started swarming the carcass, the flies were everywhere (all the carcasses I've skinned smelt bad, not sure if it was because I accidentally punctured the intestines or if they always do, but either way try not to puncture them). The first time I skinned a carcass (the wombat), I never had the problem with the flies, so I assume it had something to do with the age of the carcass (be sure to skin an animal ASAP after killing it unless you can store it away from the flies to prevent them from ruining the meat), or the weather. Or both. I cheated and used sprays of water to flush out the carcass (both from fecal matter as well as flies), not sure how a Zalanthian hunter would deal with this problem, but if the flies are already on it I doubt the meat is worth eating anyway (obviously I didn't attempt to eat the road kill).

I sawed around the organs with my knives, cutting off the tendons (or whatever they're called) connecting them to the rest of the body and pulled them out easy enough. The harder part came from separating skin from muscle and meat, and the removal of the limbs. Basically, to remove the legs and arms, I cut away as much muscles, meat and tendons as I could, then grabbed the limb and twisted at the joint till the bone popped out of the joint (don't bother trying to cut through the bone, especially with stone tools, you've got to pop the joint out then cut off the muscles holding the limb to the rest of the body to remove the limb). The head was also removed (you've got to snap the vertebrae column, cut through the windpipe/muscles/etc. until it comes off, although if you're skinning with an axe - which is possible in Armageddon - lopping the head off should be a breeze).

Next, to remove the meat from the skin, I carefully cut away some meat and muscle from the skin (if you want to keep the skin/hide, be careful, the knife can easily slip through the meat and puncture your beautiful animal hide). After most of the muscle and meat was removed, I could grab the skin and with my bare hands, rip some off it from the meat (I got the skin off the rabbit perfect, though sometimes you might need a hide scraper to remove some clinging meat/tendons off the bottom of the hide, which I didn't have).

After that, on the kangeroo I cut the tail off (my knife went through the tail easily - all the tail contained was some meat and what appeared to be some sort of nerve cord thing). Then stripped the skin off the tail (made an incision along the side of the tail then tore the skin off with my hands) and removed the meat with my knife, cutting it away from that cord thing. Then I cut off any other meat remaining on the carcass and hung the hide up to dry.

And that's all there is to it. Be prepared for the possibility of your neighbours thinking you're a complete nutcase (reckon they might have already thought I was eccentric though), and enjoy your hard-earned meat.

Hmmm...might try...

Poke a hole through the skin just under the sternum with your knife.  Insert two fingers from the other hand into the opening, and lift.  Place the knife blade between them when you cut down to the crotch.  Make sure you go not only through the hide, but through the muscles of the abdominal cavity as well.  Remove the guts.  The intestines shoul pretty much spill out.  Be careful not to puncture them.  More importantly, you really, really, really don't want to burst the bladder, which actually will stay in at this point.  Strip the feces back away from the anus in the last part of the instestine, then cut it.

Cut the hide up the chest to the neck.  Cut the hide around each of the ankles in a circle. Cut the hide in a straight line on the inside of the leg from the ankle down to the chest/groin.  Starting at the ankle, cut/pull the hide away from the flesh.  If it is lyring on its back, you should get to a point where all you have is the backside to skin.  String it up if you can, cut around the neck, and pull/skin down.  In general, the fatter the animal, the easier to skin.  The blade should actually face in at the flesh a little, rather than right at the hide.  Run it sideways along where they meet, pulling the hide.

Once the hide is off,you can cut away the head at the neck.  Time to remove the bladder.  We saw through the small bone in the pelvis (from the great big gaping hole in it side).  Then cut it the anus (and depending on sex, other genitals) and the bladder.  Normally we then halve it, cutting down the backbone.  However, unless something is bloodshot, you punctured the intestines or you got it dirty skinning it, the carcass will be clean.  How clean?  Often we don't even wash it out, just leave it to dry a bit before hanging it in a cooler.  Butchering it comes later.  You can either cut the meat away from the bones (which is what I do) or you can saw through them like at a supermarket (which is a pain in the ass).

At least, works for deer, sheep, rabbit, cattle.  Not sure about scrab.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

That's..crazy. No one had a problem with you doing this? If someone came across somebody skinning roadkill here, they'd freak out and call the cops.

December 05, 2009, 12:20:05 AM #573 Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:36:24 PM by Gunnerblaster
Knife knife

-Wrong post-
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: HTX on December 04, 2009, 01:54:55 AM

It would probably be even easier with a flint or obsidian knife, 'cause them bitches get sharp.