Templar of the public works

Started by Salt Merchant, December 03, 2008, 05:46:21 AM

General idea: just as "master crafters" can submit new items once a month, a templar (north or south) that has been given the mantle of "public works" could submit a room description update once a month based on work being done by crews. Also, the templar would have several props to deploy, such as work crew NPCs and wooden scaffolds and could set ldescs for the props.
Lunch makes me happy.

That sounds kinda cool ... although I would imagine a noble from Tenneshi handling this in the north, rather than a Templar.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

What Musashi said. Also, very cool idea. It would be nice to see something like this.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

A white-robed templar (or non-war-ministry blue-robe) with responsibilities like this is probably the only type of templar I'd ever want to play.

However, I don't see how this idea is really analogous to master crafters (and I'm assuming the comparison was made with the implied argument that since one exists, the other ought to also exist).

Quote from: Marauder Moe on December 03, 2008, 08:26:02 AM
A white-robed templar (or non-war-ministry blue-robe) with responsibilities like this is probably the only type of templar I'd ever want to play.

Ditto.  I like the idea.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

In the North, this would probably be the role of the Governors of various areas. Own Friels Rest? Do stuff there. Own the Warrens? Clean it up (or keep it dirty to run your secret crime syndicate out of).

More fun? Sabotage the public works of your enemies! "Gosh Lord Winrothol, it's a darn shame your theater burned down with your favorite master bard in it. You know, that sort of thing doesn't happen in my part of town..."
Tlaloc
Legend

I think that's a really good way to spread the workload out from the Staff, while maintaining the quality of the game.  You could even expand it to all nobles and templars in general.

Sort of a "cost of doing business" if you want to play such a role:  you'll be required to contribute to the RP environment as well as the object database, assuming there are things that need to get added while you're in your position.

I'd imagine it like...the clan Imms would task the player of leadership PCs with role-appropriate building duties, and then give a final stamp of approval before the items enter the game.  Maybe it could be on a voluntary basis.

One thing I've noticed, though:  people do more work if you directly ask them to, and they usually don't mind it.  It's one thing to have voluntary player submissions...but when you say "Hey, Synthesis, write me up a goddamn NPC" it carries a little more force.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I really do like this idea, in some form or the other.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I feel that way too.

Maybe I just like being different...

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote from: Synthesis on December 03, 2008, 02:14:56 PM
I think that's a really good way to spread the workload out from the Staff, while maintaining the quality of the game.  You could even expand it to all nobles and templars in general.

Sort of a "cost of doing business" if you want to play such a role:  you'll be required to contribute to the RP environment as well as the object database, assuming there are things that need to get added while you're in your position.

I'd imagine it like...the clan Imms would task the player of leadership PCs with role-appropriate building duties, and then give a final stamp of approval before the items enter the game.  Maybe it could be on a voluntary basis.

One thing I've noticed, though:  people do more work if you directly ask them to, and they usually don't mind it.  It's one thing to have voluntary player submissions...but when you say "Hey, Synthesis, write me up a goddamn NPC" it carries a little more force.

God, I would love this.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Tlaloc on December 03, 2008, 10:22:47 AM
"Gosh Lord Winrothol, it's a darn shame your theater burned down with your favorite master bard in it. You know, that sort of thing doesn't happen in my part of town..."

God I miss you.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: FuSoYa on December 03, 2008, 10:09:26 PM

I feel that way too.

Maybe I just like being different...

Brandon

See, I don't think people understand the awesomeness that a white-robed (or non-war-ministry) templar could be.  Most probably think that a templar who doesn't fight and/or lead soldiers is the same as a non-Tor noble.  For the most part it would be, but there's a very important distinction: they would solicit bribes.

Also I think the whole religious aspect of a white-robe would be very very cool.  Inquisition, anyone?

I've always wanted to see a white-robed PC templar around.  It would be cool if they could do that sort of stuff, too.  I could see a lot of RP potential in it.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

As usual, I don't have anything useful to say.

I just keep seeing "Templar of the pubic works" and giggling my ass off.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on December 04, 2008, 01:08:25 PM
As usual, I don't have anything useful to say.

I just keep seeing "Templar of the pubic works" and giggling my ass off.
And now I have the urge to apply for a templar (of any sort) just so I can call out "in the name of the Highlord!" and the like during coitus.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on December 04, 2008, 01:33:31 PM
And now I have the urge to apply for a templar (of any sort) just so I can call out "in the name of the Highlord!" and the like during coitus.

Any sort...so...a Jihaen? :D
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Hmm, I dunno.  I haven't been around Jihaens that much, but last time I had a character in battle against one I don't recall him doing a lot of dramatic shouting like the Allanaki templars do.

"Highlord, grant me thy endurance and rigidity!"
"Strike limp the enemies of the king!"

New idea for a templar: Born with Terret's syndrome, this templar has an unfortunate, and ironic, tendency to the yell praises for the -opposite- city state.

Twitching suddenly, the brute-like, gray-eyed Jihaen templar shouts, in sirihish, "All hail His Lord Tektolnes!"

The crowd blinks suddenly.

The brute-like, gray-eyed templar attempts to stuff his fist in his mouth but fails.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

That would be Tourette's.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Bogre on December 08, 2008, 02:50:03 AM
New idea for a templar: Born with Terret's syndrome, this templar has an unfortunate, and ironic, tendency to the yell praises for the -opposite- city state.

Twitching suddenly, the brute-like, gray-eyed Jihaen templar shouts, in sirihish, "All hail His Lord Tektolnes!"

The crowd blinks suddenly.

The brute-like, gray-eyed templar attempts to stuff his fist in his mouth but fails.

I think it would be more amusing to just have him yell normal Tourette's stuff.

Twitching suddenly, the brute-like, gray-eyed Jihaen templar shouts in sirihish, "S##t c##t f##k balls!!"

The crowd blinks once or twice ...

the crowd yells in sirihish, "S##t c##t f##k balls!!!!"

Quote from: Ourla on December 04, 2008, 12:56:50 AM
Quote from: Tlaloc on December 03, 2008, 10:22:47 AM
"Gosh Lord Winrothol, it's a darn shame your theater burned down with your favorite master bard in it. You know, that sort of thing doesn't happen in my part of town..."

God I miss you.

You're mistaken, Musashi. "Normal Tourette's stuff" is just a tic of some sort, be it vocal or nonvocal, and cursing Tourette's, as popularized by television and movies, is extremely, extremely rare.

Quote from: Only He Stands There on December 10, 2008, 11:57:28 PM
You're mistaken, Musashi. "Normal Tourette's stuff" is just a tic of some sort, be it vocal or nonvocal, and cursing Tourette's, as popularized by television and movies, is extremely, extremely rare.

QFT. A character with real Tourette's would be interesting, though, especially combined with the impulse-control issues and maybe a smidgen of OCD accompanying. Hard to play, but interesting.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Only He Stands There on December 10, 2008, 11:57:28 PM

Ok ... so by normal I meant "Hollywood Tourette's".