Northern Caste Tattooes

Started by GuestForever, May 21, 2003, 12:21:48 AM

I've read the website on this and I don't remember this being addressed.

What age do Tulukians get their Caste Tattooes?

And just where the hell do you get them?

Normal disclaimer that I have NO clue about anything. Just my guessing from here on out.

I'd guess... It'd really depend from whatever group you belong to, whatever tradition, but I'd guess at least the basic part denoting what group you belong to would be done at birth, or sometime soon after. Much like branding is done with humans in some cultures, or with cows as much people would probably know about. It's a common way to tell what belongs to who and such.

It'd also be my guess that they are built upon dependant on things. I would think you have a basic symbol that denotes where you come from, probably continues to grow if you join some group, or take certain jobs I would think. Just seems like a badge of rank or honor... Almost a name tag even... SHRUG.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

But tattoes age poorly...from youth to puberty.

They probably get them after what is assumed to be their final groth spurt, so most likely (for humans, at least) around age 13.

~Drunken Salarr, who would like to see more Tulukies with the caste tattoos
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Where does it say humans quit growing at thirteen?

Due to harsh environments and likely malnutrition, I'd say 13 is a pretty good age for people on Zalanthas to stop growing, as opposed to 18-20 here. Might as well make it more feasable though, like 16, the earliest possible playing age (aside from Imm intervention).

Quote from: "Tony"Might as well make it more feasable though, like 16, the earliest possible playing age (aside from Imm intervention).
Unless something has changed, I'm pretty sure the earliest starting age for a human is still and has always been thirteen.

Personally, I think that due to the harsh environment and likely minor mutations and such, humans as a species would have adjusted to continue growing until eighteen or so.  I'd agree that severe malnutrition is definetly going to have to factor into that, but such a result would probably factor in on a character to character basis and not on a species wide one though.

In my opinion, the initial caste tattoo would probably be given in the early to mid teenage years.
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

Woopsa, you're right, it is thirteen, for some reason I blanked and thought I started my first character at the earliest starting age, which was 16, so I thought 16 was the earliest, but I didn't start him at the earliest. Woo...

Quote from: "AnotherNortherner"And just where the hell do you get them?
I don't think there's a mechanism for this ingame.  Talk to your friendly neighborhood imm.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

QuoteBut tattoes age poorly...from youth to puberty.

Yes, but tattoos can also be reapplied. Added onto and so on. I'm guessing these tattoos aren't really for looks value or anything. It's to show who you are, where you come from and such. Much like real life tribes that do branding, and different self mutalations and such to denote tribal origins and rank and such.

Creeper
21sters Unite!