RPTs: Gone Missing

Started by Gimfalisette, November 26, 2008, 01:37:40 PM

Quote from: Salt Merchant on November 27, 2008, 01:14:09 PM
Since no one else is stepping up to state the obvious:

Stuff

Even if you're rank-and-file you can still come up with an IDEA for an RPT. You can be active too. If you have an idea for an RPT, and discuss it ICly with your leader and it gets shot down, that's a whole different ball game. I think the point that the leader playing PCs are trying to make is that not EVERYTHING should be pinned on them. You can do things too.

To me, it really sounds like better communication between the leaders and the grunts is needed. Grunts, try for more! If the leader PC says "no," then at least your tried and were proactive. Leader PCs, try figuring out what your minions would like to see more of. Give them the option to arrange their own things and then get approval from you.

Also, advice is very easy to give. It's harder to actually DO. So, yes, I do get that too. ;)
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Taven on November 27, 2008, 01:30:08 PM
Quote from: Salt Merchant on November 27, 2008, 01:14:09 PM
Since no one else is stepping up to state the obvious:

Stuff

Even if you're rank-and-file you can still come up with an IDEA for an RPT. You can be active too. If you have an idea for an RPT, and discuss it ICly with your leader and it gets shot down, that's a whole different ball game. I think the point that the leader playing PCs are trying to make is that not EVERYTHING should be pinned on them. You can do things too.

To me, it really sounds like better communication between the leaders and the grunts is needed. Grunts, try for more! If the leader PC says "no," then at least your tried and were proactive. Leader PCs, try figuring out what your minions would like to see more of. Give them the option to arrange their own things and then get approval from you.

Also, advice is very easy to give. It's harder to actually DO. So, yes, I do get that too. ;)

Initiative, goals, networking, assertiveness, creativity and communication are important for everybody, in all walks of life. :D    Sure people who show those tend to get shunted into positions of authority, but there isn't an authority figure in the game who doesn't want to see those in their minions.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

One of the reasons I stringently avoid being shoved into true leadership positions (at least for now) is because of the ungrateful, demanding experience I get from the vast majority of underling PCs. I feel plenty entitled to need a break from leadership, since I held down a very active, very involved leadership position for a little over an RL year. It is hard work. Work. In a game.

No thanks. I already have 2 jobs - I don't need a third 8-hour job in what's supposed to be my downtime.

That doesn't preclude stirring things up, getting involved in plots, and involving others, though. That anyone can do.

I guess where I'm going with this is that "leader" PCs should not share the sole burden of creating and maintaining plots and events in the game. Especially since their "job" is already so demanding on an OOC level - and every time they do something, they're scrutinized, for better or worse. I can't tell you how many times I've had to shank some poor PC, felt bad about it OOC, but known that it was perfectly justified IC - and had to deal with ranting and raging and accusations of abusing my POWAH.

Gimme a fucking break. Actually, give "leader" PCs a break. They work hard for your enjoyment, and they are characters, too... and people behind the screen, who want to play the game, and have fun, while respecting the responsibility of their position.

November 27, 2008, 02:12:07 PM #53 Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 02:16:51 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Taven on November 27, 2008, 01:30:08 PM
Even if you're rank-and-file you can still come up with an IDEA for an RPT. You can be active too.

Perhaps you could offer some advice on how to think up an idea that will actually attract some interest, because I've had little success at that.

For example: in two separate organizations, I've had a character put forward the idea of collecting stones and rocks of various colors to be used to create (with a stonecrafter's help if necessary) a mosaic commemorating that organization's part in the gith war in Allanak.

There are a number of benefits to this:

- gives the group a common activity to pursue (gathering rocks in this case)
- gives a stoneworker an activity and a commission as well
- adds to the character of the group's location
- a historical marker that can be viewed by visitors and later members of the organization

Necessary staff involvement: really minimal (adding a line of text to a room's description, a key word and a little description for the mosaic if looked at specifically).

There was no interest. None. In one case, my character got laughed at.

What am I missing here?
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on November 27, 2008, 02:12:07 PM
What am I missing here?
Wrong clan? I woulda jumped on that.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

What am I missing here?

Don't take this the wrong way but possibilities include: Tenacity, flexibility, charisma, or the ability to suit your plans to the objectives of your clan, its leadership and the social environment.

On the surface it sounds like a pretty good goal to me though. ;)  Specific circumstances muddy the waters unfortunately.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I tend to see things as Salt Merchant does. I am all for spreading my wealth around, not that I ever have that much. I am willing to pay for lessons from the Byn, or asking if a Merchant House Hunting party wouldn't mine some company, anything out of the ordinary. But, I'm not in a leader position, and don't hold a lot of sway.

I'm of the opinion that PCs in leadership positions don't -often- get things started because nobody wants to die, OOCly. If you're a Sergeant, and you blatantly misbehave and take out your runners or recruits somewhere dangerous as an outing, you could get them killed. If you do, tying into the Capital Punishment thread, these leaders probably believe they are just going to be outright killed for doing something stupid.

I also think the terminology here is incorrect. RPTs are just a recommended play time for a few people in a certain clan or social gathering to get together and get some good RP and character development going. I think everyone is calling for an HRPT. Some kind of gith attack, or halfling uprising, or a sentient kryl that suddenly gains the ability to speak to the dead (If this happens, I want credit, because thats -awesome-). RPTs happen all the time, from a patrol with your unit, to a noble and his/her patrons getting together to talk. If you don't see this happening, go to the bar, buy someone a drink, and start asking questions. Buy me a drink, in game, and chances are I'll remember you if you talk to me. I might even care whether you live or die ;)
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 27, 2008, 02:17:47 PM
What am I missing here?
Wrong clan.

If you're talking about the clan I assume you're talking about, Salt Merchant, is it really that surprising that asking them to do even more foraging than they already do was an idea that got a lukewarm reception?

Also I'd point out that I can't think of many members (if any) of that clan who are still alive now that actually fought in the war with the gith. That might have something to do with it.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Riev on November 27, 2008, 02:20:26 PM
I also think the terminology here is incorrect. RPTs are just a recommended play time for a few people in a certain clan or social gathering to get together and get some good RP and character development going. I think everyone is calling for an HRPT.

No. I am not calling for an HRPT. Absolutely not. If the staff wants to do stuff that leads up to one, cool; but HRPTs depend far too much on staff involvement for them to be the "solution" to malaise amongst the playerbase.

The players can solve it without staff. There are lots of RPTs players can run completely on our own.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

November 27, 2008, 02:39:27 PM #59 Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 02:44:06 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Fathi on November 27, 2008, 02:21:32 PM
If you're talking about the clan I assume you're talking about, Salt Merchant, is it really that surprising that asking them to do even more foraging than they already do was an idea that got a lukewarm reception?

Also I'd point out that I can't think of many members (if any) of that clan who are still alive now that actually fought in the war with the gith. That might have something to do with it.

This is what I'm used to. The first reaction is a search for reasons not to do something.

That particular clan (I was talking about two) turned up tons of rock in a certain location as a matter of normal routine. It just would have needed to pick up that rock, keep some of it, and trade some for other sorts. The other doesn't forage much at all so far as I'm aware.

It doesn't matter if few living PCs were a part of the war. Most PCs from the city nowadays were alive (as pre-PCs) then even if they didn't participate and should recall it as a time of terror. And the high-ranking NPCs certainly would have been a part of it and remember it keenly. It could easily hve been played as having endorsement from above.

But these reasons are all just window-dressing. They're just symptoms of the underlying problem: no one wants to.

So what sort of ideas do motivate people?
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on November 27, 2008, 02:39:27 PM
Quote from: Fathi on November 27, 2008, 02:21:32 PM

It doesn't matter if few living PCs were a part of the war. Most PCs from the city nowadays were alive then even if they didn't participate.

The point I was trying to make about not being in contact with PCs that participated is that even though characters alive now would have been alive then virtually, you have to remember that in order to catch the PC's interest, the player also has to be interested.

If somebody had a Tor noble or a militia soldier or a gemmer that had been alive during that time period and was still around, I'm willing to bet money that they'd be a lot more interested as a player in the project than somebody who only experienced the event tangentially or didn't experience it at all, as a player
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

RPTs, HRPTs, I think what this is all about is having fun in a way that involves other players or clans with some steady, dependable fun events taking place and happening. I agree 100% that it is NOT solely the leader's job to do this. You can think of your own fun and crazy ideas to try and go for. If you don't succeed, then you can say you tried. Here's a few ideas that can lighten up any scene.

Game Night

Set up a game night for your clan. I mentioned this already.

Quote from: Taven on November 27, 2008, 11:36:13 AM
Having a clan game day/night every few weeks is awesome, too. Kruth, Tek's Tower, whatever. Just go to your nearest tavern, hijack a table, and show all those other sorry little idlers how awesome your clan is.

Furthermore, there are things and ideas to do WITHIN that that can be a game night, or any time.

Inpromptu Song Contest

Quote from: Taven on November 27, 2008, 11:36:13 AM
Tulukis, find a location for some public singing or dancing. NPCs do it all the time, don't you go telling me it isn't subtle enough.

Also, singing and dancing is not just for Tuluki. Making up silly songs on the spot in the group and forcing each other to sing them publicly could be TONS of fun. Dance with someone at the Gaj. Aspire to find a Nakki bard to come and teach you songs, or some tribal to teach you exotic dances. Let other people know of your plans, set up a time.

Impersonation of other city contest/activity

We do silly things like this making fun of the various cities respectively all the time. Starting this up at a dull day in the Gaj (or Sanc? Tooth?) would provide a break from the long boring periods. It's also easy to combine with any of the above ides.

Have clan gossip sessions

You think I'm kidding. I'm not. Players often loose interest in clans because they don't SEE anything going on. Tell them just about what they missed, make them want to play more! Make it so Amos down the bar wants a piece of the action, too.

Alternately, have just-clan meetings. Talk about policies, about information you know that they should too. Talk about weather or not that new Salarri IS actually crazy, or if so-and-so has a crush on that half-elf.

Tell stories of ages long gone

That's right. You, crazy Fale, you know we commoners can't read. Impress us with your tales from ages past of great Fale parties. Tor, tell your Silvers some war tales so it will tirckle down back to the common folk. You, there, old grizzled Bynner! Tell us of days gone by when you had to walk up hill both ways in a sandstorm and fight off defilers. Tuluki, same goes for you. Remember when those 'Nakki invaded? We may be at peace now, but back in my day...

Play "bother the elf" (Or Forgiener, as the case maybe)

Seriously, people. These are ELVES. They aren't PEOPLE. They aren't HUMAN. You Tuluki made subtle snide remarks. 'Nakkis, start a fight! Throw some insults. And beer mugs. Be more creative then the bar-fight echos. Also, power in numbers. Have a large support group to back you up. Elves seem, to me, to mostly get ignored. Breeds, too. SNEER MORE, PEOPLE. Interact.

See just how far you can insult that breed before they loose it and tackle you.

Learning and Teaching

I'm not kidding. Getting taught things is great. Set a clan day (approve it with your leaders, or on the fly) to teach about whatever you can do. Geography, what ARE those cures for anyways, tricks elves might do, wrestling... Don't make it all about the CODE make it about interaction. I have had stellar times where the routine "training" was broken up by some absolutely incredible lessons on these things. I've given some lessons myself.

Alternately, start a teaching group for your spare time. Maybe you always wanted to learn about Geography, and have traveled in your time. Make a group, trade stories and tales. Healer? It's not all about TABLETS. Rumors of cures, charms, and special "remidies" that may or may not have coded value are perfectly good. In the movie Gladiator, they use maggots to eat away the diseased flesh. How come I've never heard even a whisper of someone using that technique ICly? Also, slapping a bandage on something isn't always good. Tell gruesome stories about infection, and talk about how to clean a wound or set a break properly.

Learn about some forgien culture. Ask that Tuluki about why they have those tattoos... Then mock them for it. Is it true that Gith can actually TALK? Go ask that tribal over there. Learn a language. Insult people in that language while claiming it's praise (use with caution, and beware negitive side effects). Learn tribal slang or phrases.

Worship your City's King

Yes, that's right. Remember dear old Tektolnes who decides if you LIVE OR DIE? Those people infront of the Dragon aren't kneeling there because it makes them feel good. What about the Sun King? What have you done to show appreciation for HIS Glorious Light, lately? Make a cult. Inspire worship. Make up your own odd rules and beliefs that you spread to others. Do your odd ideas publicly.

It doesn't have to be traditional worship. Dance to Tektolnes, or kill a halfling for the Sunking. Be creative. Look at RL and how many religious variants there are.

Not in a big city? What do you worship? What's a new way you can worship this?

Host An Event

That's right. Even you, Commoner Amos, can Host an Event. Don't have enough food and wine for everybody? Make it a potluck. Don't have the money for l33t prizes? Talk to your local GMH member and discuss making a raffel for an item. How many Maliks would toss fifty 'sid into the pot for a chance at that awesome sword? Or that insanely cool outfit? If they don't go for it, collect the pot first and then get the item.

Organize Co-Clan Games/activities

Ever get to be in a spot where whatever clan you're in seems devoid of all people, but the other similar clan is hopping? Coordinate with your leader and theres, set up some friendly cross-clan games. Archery contest? Well, our Malik is better then your lame-ass Amos, and thal games. Yes, everybody who enters WILL pay this fee to get in, and if the Templar was motivated, they could charge the viewers to watch, too. It's a fun thing for multipul clans, AND it gets whatever Templar 'sid. Who doesn't like that?

Even if it doesn't work, showing interest and ideas is a good start. Just remember, everyone likes money and if there's other people participating then it doesn't have to be all yours. Convince your leader that while YOU might not have any archery ranges, THIS clan might, and wouldn't it be good to practice?

I'm sure there's non-combat oriented ways to do this too, but usually a clan has at least one combat aspect to it.

Explore

Oh, woe is YOU. You're stuck inside your city, how can "go exploring" POISSIBLY apply to you without getting your PC in trouble? Actually take a moment to look at your city-state with a fresh eye. Those room descriptions? Read them again, sometimes you'll be suprised. For example, just who ARE those templar statues of? What sorts of carvings are in the Gaj-- Are they lewd? If there aren't any lewd ones, why not? Shouldn't you make one?

Alternately, exploring doesn't have to be physical. "Explore" your PC's past. What are their vNPC realitives upto? Is it something that can make for an interesting plot in PC-land?

Summing It All Up

I think more challanging then a leader not wanting to get all the work, or a minion struggling to creat a RPT/event despite their lack of power is when you just don't HAVE minions/underlings, or a leader. There's a lot of things you COULD do, if there were more people around. I think that's one of the reasons that things never actually happen. Trying to plan more cross-clan events would help solve this, I think. The trouble with that, of course, is that with more people to get "okays" from, then longer everything takes. But it doesn't have to be a BIG thing, it can start small and go from there. It's so easy to get discouraged or bored, it's HARD to plan things and involve others. Keeping at it is an important thing to do. I'd also say that it's easier if you've been in your clan awhile, and have a feel for how things work. It's hard to make things new or exciting if you don't have a good grasp of what "normal" is.

Perhaps you could offer some advice on how to think up an idea that will actually attract some interest, because I've had little success at that.

For example: in two separate organizations, I've had a character put forward the idea of collecting stones and rocks of various colors to be used to create (with a stonecrafter's help if necessary) a mosaic commemorating that organization's part in the gith war in Allanak.

There are a number of benefits to this:

- gives the group a common activity to pursue (gathering rocks in this case)
- gives a stoneworker an activity and a commission as well
- adds to the character of the group's location
- a historical marker that can be viewed by visitors and later members of the organization

Necessary staff involvement: really minimal (adding a line of text to a room's description, a key word and a little description for the mosaic if looked at specifically).

There was no interest. None. In one case, my character got laughed at.

What am I missing here?

I think what may have gone wrong here is that it could, to some people, sound like another chore. A PC or Player might see it as just another chore they have to do, rather then a fun thing. I'd personally say RPTs with a more social/interactive aspect are good. Talking, swaping tales, etc. However, I would say that you took the right steps to try and make something happen. If they think it's a bad idea, I'd challange THEM to find an activity to do. "Well, how would YOU make a memorial to the Gith War?" Don't let them put an idea down and just waltz off, make them think of interesting things too. Maybe they have an idea that they think is more interesting. If they don't, maybe they'll think of one. Keep at it.

Quote from: Riev on November 27, 2008, 02:20:26 PM
I'm of the opinion that PCs in leadership positions don't -often- get things started because nobody wants to die, OOCly. If you're a Sergeant, and you blatantly misbehave and take out your runners or recruits somewhere dangerous as an outing, you could get them killed. If you do, tying into the Capital Punishment thread, these leaders probably believe they are just going to be outright killed for doing something stupid.

I think that oftentimes boredom leads PC leaders to do stupid things. Don't GO into that area with a bunch of green runners if you know it's dangerous. Wait until you have the proper support for whatever you're planning. I can't count how many times boredom has led to poor or no planning, and PC deaths. I think that there's lots of wonderful possibilities that are less dangerous that could be done, but get overlooked.

Excellent post, Taven.

It's archive worthy.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

7DV and a few others could probably back me up on this. I've had about 200 RPT's I've come up with, especially with one particular clan. Now the key there is "Come up with" not "execute". Out of all of those RPT idea's I think 4 or 5 of them REALLY paid off. A pay-off to me is 60% or higher of the PCs involved having a blast, lots of different clans/people involved, blood guts and more blood. Why did the other one's fail? Staff restrictions, preset rules, inactive PB, lack of interest, inability to find a "suitable" time for the masses or it would screw up the predetermined "Unveiling" of certain things that weren't ready to be put in full motion in regards to the bigger plots.

Now, while I agree that RPT's can and should be done and often, I venture to guess that most mundane, non-leader PCs are a little tired of never finding leaders (I recently stepped down as one as to not subject people to this, so I was part of the problem too) to get anything really started and the leaders (those of which actually log in for more then 5 minutes a week) are tired of having their RPT's not come about because of IC/OOC restrictions, preset rules etc...and some of the staff are likely tired of trying to get things started only to have mundanes/leaders die, not log on, or never be satisified with what is actually done.

I really think the entire gameworld is stagnant right now. I think a good heaping portion of the playerbase is left in limbo because the end game plots were brought in and then utterly stalled because the new game is eons away, there's no sense of large scale tension or conflict because of IC events, and most are just burned out with trying and having any of the things I mentioned above happen again.

I'm afraid I can't except the reasoning or excuse that "Things ARE happening that you just don't know about/behind the scenes." Well, that's fantastic. Staff knows that and the 3 to 10 PCs that happen to be "In the know" are likely thrilled, but the other 50 to 60 players that are on at peak have a perception that absolutely nothing is happening, get fed up and idle or log out. This was one major reason why my playtimes dropped off drastically two months ago, which lead to me picking up a second job and quitting all together for a month (Didn't even get around to posting the thread about it until 3 weeks after)

I needed the break whether I wanted to admit it to myself or not. Now I'm back, I'm full of ideas and I want to make things happen like Gimf is talking about all over again regardless of being in a leader role or not. Hopefully those that have thought the same as me as I wrote above can take a small step back, take a deep breath and dive back in again. The fun in the game and for all the players in it fall on -everyone's- shoulders, not just the staff/leaders.

Creating fun for yourself, your clanmates and people who play around you isn't the same as being a leader. It also isn't all about RPTs. Don't get me wrong, RPTs are fun and good, but everything they provide can be done informally without the rumor posts, GDB advertisements, hype and so on.

Really, what it comes down to is enjoying your character and the people you play with. Engage them, let them engage you. If you're playing with a group of people you click with, then even "simple" things like a trip from Allanak to Luir's can become fun adventures. One of my most memorable RPTs was nothing more than a small group of hunters looking through the mantis valley. It had no staff involvement, no grand objective, and no real impact on anything, but it felt so alive and tense when we slowed down and roleplayed. My character was so convinced a rantarri was on our tail that I started believing it myself.

Find yourself a group of lovers/friends/rivals, and then just dive in. Everybody has the power to bring the game alive, RPTs or not. When you want to do something that goes a bit beyond the bounds of what you can accomplish, email staff. With the proper begging/nudging, I've never really been disappointed in them. Even if you're a low-ranking grunt in a clan, or have no clan, send the staff updates on your character and what you want to do. It gets them interested, and they might actually help you along, or help you look at other directions to go.

It's sad that people are attacking leaders, or attacking minions, or attacking staff, or whatever. In the end, this is a game, and you're responsible for your own fun. So go out and make it. You get out what you put into this, guys. It isn't really a passive game.

One last point about leadership: Leading well is freaking HARD. I get sad for leaders who are trying when I see people attacking them. (I used to get annoyed and frustrated, but I think since I'm not really playing anymore I don't take it as personally.) Leading well takes a huge commitment, lots of OOC headache and responsibility, lots of OOC energy, and, shall I say, a certain virginity to the jaded bitterness that seems to set in after you've been playing for too long. (An example of someone I think has that kind of energy is Taven -- great post up above.) The only good leaders are people who weren't quite as good leaders and learned from their mistakes. Don't attack these people, don't drag them down, and don't tell them they should just quit and step aside. That ultimately isn't helpful. If you think you can do a better job, step in there ICly and take over.

Now I'm gonna go eat me some turkey. Y'all have a good day.
QuoteThe shopkeeper says, in sirihish:
     "I am closed, come back at dawn."

You say to the shopkeeper, in sirihish:
     "YOU ^*%$*% WORTHLESS SHIT."

You say, in sirihish:
      "Ahem."

Quote from: Southie on November 27, 2008, 05:46:04 PM
One last point about leadership: Leading well is freaking HARD. I get sad for leaders who are trying when I see people attacking them. (I used to get annoyed and frustrated, but I think since I'm not really playing anymore I don't take it as personally.) Leading well takes a huge commitment, lots of OOC headache and responsibility, lots of OOC energy, and, shall I say, a certain virginity to the jaded bitterness that seems to set in after you've been playing for too long. (An example of someone I think has that kind of energy is Taven -- great post up above.)

You should play more. No, I'm serious. You are fun, interesting, and one of those people that just following around causes things to happen. I love those sorts of people. I sometimes wonder if leaders are too hard on themselves-- Yes, I know you leader people get a TON of negitivity at you from minions, players, etc. However, I've found that lots of times really GOOD leaders (of which I've been lucky enough to have a few) are just interesting for the clan simply by BEING there. I get the idea that some leaders think they're boring the people around them with whatever they're doing, but I've personally found that even if you're not trying, you're usually intertesting.

Also, I may look all perky here on the boards, but it takes awhile for me to actually follow my own advice. ;) Hopefully I'll be more sucessful at actually doing some of this stuff. The biggest barrier I find personally to making RPTs happen are one of the following things:

Getting Used to Routine - You have good ideas, but for whatever reason, now doesn't seem like the time to try them. It's easier to just do what you've been doing, or go for the short-term fix rather then looking at the whole problem or taking a longer view of things.

Clan or Character Insecurities - If you're not comfortable with how the world around you (or even "you," if it's PC trouble) then planning things isn't something you're really able to tackle. To start changing the world, you have to get a feel for what it's like now.

Individual Pursuits - Be this because you're taking too much time for yourself, or because you feel like all your time is ALWAYS duties, and you want some time for just your PC, without worrying about everything else.

Hey Tavan,

Post #62 Rocks! thanks for the ideas!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Sorry, Gimf.  I haven't had the energy to do much lately.  I'll get on it soon.  I promise.  ;D
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Southie makes some very good points on this topic.

Quote from: Southie on November 27, 2008, 05:46:04 PM

It's sad that people are attacking leaders, or attacking minions, or attacking staff, or whatever. In the end, this is a game, and you're responsible for your own fun. So go out and make it. You get out what you put into this, guys. It isn't really a passive game.

Leading well is freaking HARD. I get sad for leaders who are trying when I see people attacking them. (I used to get annoyed and frustrated, but I think since I'm not really playing anymore I don't take it as personally.)

Leading well takes a huge commitment, lots of OOC headache and responsibility, lots of OOC energy, and, shall I say, a certain virginity to the jaded bitterness that seems to set in after you've been playing for too long. 

Don't attack these people, don't drag them down, and don't tell them they should just quit and step aside. That ultimately isn't helpful. If you think you can do a better job, step in there ICly and take over.

Going back to what Lizzie said, if you feel that everything that's going on is supersecret and excluding all but an elite few, then perhaps it's time to start up your own supersecret plots and bring in your own elite few to work on them, rather than sitting around and grumbling to yourself and on the GDB that no one is doing anything, or no one is including you.  As I said earlier, you don't need to have a PC in a leader type position to do this.  Anyone can do this.

And on that note, anytime you're going to start up plots, email your clan staff about it.  I cannot stress enough how important it is to keep your clan staffers up to date on what your PC is up to.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Just to clarify...

I'm not complaining that nothing is going on. I'm not complaining that I'm being excluded from anything. I was commenting -about- that complaint, not making it for myself.

I know I'm excluded from some things, because they frankly have nothing to do with my character. While I the player am dying to find out what's going on here there and the other place, there's nothing driving my -character- to learn that information. And so I remain mostly clueless and glean little tidbits about assorted things from gossipmongers who -do- care about these things in the taverns.

I think some of this "missing" RPT stuff stems from the complete lack of -public knowledge- of ANYTHING going on with the previous world-changing plotlines. And that was my point. The point was, IF there is anything going on with -those- plotlines, then they are so secret and "among the chosen few," that the rest of the playerbase cannot - repeat - CANNOT - conclude that anything -is- going on. And therefore, by default, would conclude that nothing is going on. In regards to THOSE plotlines.

The plotlines that were SO big, SO world-changing, SO significant only a RL year ago, and yet there's zero news about it, no hints, no clues, no implications, no gossip or rumors, that any of these things are still alive and well and ready for someone else to pick up and run with.

Entities that were a HUGE threat to the world...well none of my characters in the past RL year have heard that these entities are dead, or have gone to sleep, or are now allies...but they were SO big - such a HUGE deal - that you could hear whispered murmurs about them in every tavern in every city and outpost from north to south to east to west. Plotlines spun off all of this. TONS of plotlines..all revolved around the existence of this threat. The existence of this threat ceased to be discussed - new players have never even heard of it, and it wasn't even 6 months ago that people were still dealing with it. Some characters were alive when the big deal started, and are still alive. So it's not like there isn't anyone left to continue spreading the word. It's that the threat - for one reason or another, is no longer a threat, and no longer worth mentioning, and no longer worth building dozens of smaller RPTs around.

That's why I think the RPTs are "missing." Because the "big deal" that spawned all those dozens of other RPTs, only a year ago, is no longer a "big deal." Or if it is, it's only the "elite few" who are dealing with it and the rest of us are basically being told to continue on our way, nothing to see here, go make your own little plotlines.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I actually agree with Lizzie. Sure, you can make completely seperate, unassociated RPTs, but in regards to the "BIG" plots that are suppose to be going on, they're utterly stalled from any character I've had recently's perspective.

Some responses to this thread were deleted, because they were degenerating into bickering about something that should not be bickered about on the GDB.  Any more such derailments and bickering will cause this thread to be locked.

I've been playing way too much Final Fantasy XII but we should totally steal their Mark Hunt idea...

Make a random mutated npc like a red-shelled scrab or something that is vicious to tango with and make them lurk in frequented places, like around obsidian/glass deposits. Or a more distinguishable breed of Gortok in the North.

Make them be enough of a problem that people post up bulletins offering rewards for whoever takes down the npc.

Also, don't make the "Mark" Npc's respawn every couple hours but set it to respawn maybe once a week so the boards aren't filled with pleas for hunts, etc.

My ideas are typically crappy and unoriginal, so this is about the best I can do.

: (
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Going back to the initial complaint about world-changing things not going on:

It may seem like the ball has been dropped, but it hasn't.  Things have slowed down some, with new staff coming on and staff rotations, plus a lot of work going into Arm 2 and fixing problems with code in the current incarnation.  Try to think of it as the calm before the storm...or perhaps the eye of the hurricane.

I dunno, seems pretty dropped to me. My character before my current one was a member of a clan that is now marked "not okay to use as a background." And she was *temporarily* stored so I could fill the role I'm playing in now.

Even when I was playing her, she was iso - in a clan that -used- to be active in world-changing plotline situations. I'm not sure how the clan not even being open to PCs anymore can be considered "slowed down." That reads "shut down" to me.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.