Brawl code suggestion.

Started by Qzzrbl, November 17, 2008, 07:58:35 PM

November 17, 2008, 07:58:35 PM Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:10:39 PM by Qzzrbl
I'd like to be able to drag people out of their seat, if the proper skills are high enough.

No more of this, "emote deflects %badassmercenarywhocouldtotallykickyourassandhashigherstats grab attempts" when their seated.

>:[

Umm, pretty sure that's already IG.
If you brawl with someone who's sitting I think it defaults to snatching them out of their seat. IIRC
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 17, 2008, 08:32:25 PM
If you brawl with someone who's sitting I think it defaults to snatching them out of their seat. IIRC

It just says you roughly grab their shoulder.

Every time.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on November 17, 2008, 08:37:27 PM
Quote from: fourTwenty on November 17, 2008, 08:32:25 PM

It just says you roughly grab their shoulder.

Every time.

Yeah, I guess so. I've never had anybody not stand up when I did that I guess.
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Brawl code is ridiculous and I've never seen anyone react realistically to it. I've seen elves getting pounded by giants reacting with nothing more than annoyance, etc. And it wasn't just the player involved, cause I've seen a hundred bar fights and they're all equally...impotent. It needs to be a bit meaningful than it is now.

I'd prefer it to be like Look is now.
If you just use "Hit target" you get the random messages like it is now.
If you want, you could "Hit target (emote) [Emote]"

Hit Elf (moves towards) [punch their face]

Your sdesc moves towards the elf, then attempts to punch their face, but misses entirely.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

I prefer to just RP brawls, only resorting to code if I'm unclear where my PC "really" stands combat-wise in relation to their opponent. Of course, to do something like that, you should always leave an out for the other player to avoid power-emoting them. It's all about balance and taste, I think.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

I call bullshit. I was in a brawl not to long ago and the other PC RP'd everything out very well, it even meshed with the code. (I'd like to think I did to but I'll leave that up to them)

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 17, 2008, 10:38:28 PM
I call bullshit. I was in a brawl not to long ago and the other PC RP'd everything out very well, it even meshed with the code. (I'd like to think I did to but I'll leave that up to them)

There's an exception to everything, I only profess to comment on the majority of what I've personally wittnessed.

It just feels kinda clunky sometimes...

emote cocks a fist back and throws it at %elf jaw.

The tall, muscular man cocks a fist back and throws it at the tall elf's jaw.

hit elf

You throw a mug at the tall elf, and it crashes on his forehead.

But the thing that peeves me the most is the inability to drag someone off their stool at the bar.

I'd rather bar fights operate just like regular unarmed combat. No special brawl code, just a change in the crim code that allows unarmed fighters to fight to a knock out. If you fail to turn on mercy, you get arrested if you kill them. Point blank and simple.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 17, 2008, 11:04:47 PM
I'd rather bar fights operate just like regular unarmed combat. No special brawl code, just a change in the crim code that allows unarmed fighters to fight to a knock out. If you fail to turn on mercy, you get arrested if you kill them. Point blank and simple.

I could get behind this.

Or! Instead of making it continuous unarmed combat, make it to where you can go one round at a time like the current brawl code does, but have it deal damage as regular unarmed combat would, and instead of special emotes, just have, "etc., etc., hits so-and-so on the head, wounding him" like regular unarmed combat.

Also, I'd like to kick and bash in a bar brawl. If I can throw a mug and shatter it over someone's skull and get away with it, why can't I kick or tackle?

Quote from: Qzzrbl on November 17, 2008, 11:14:22 PM

I could get behind this.

Ditto

This would be AWESOME.  I mean... could be shitty but hopefully folk wouldn't abuse it and just keep pummeling on someone after they leave and come back after a short time.

I don't know.

I want it though.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

If wishes were fishes...

brawl code vs. room flags.

If you are brawling in a brawl-safe environment, your "mercy on" would toggle on automatically after the first encounter of engagement with your opponent (no matter which of you hits first).

Crim-code would toggle off for the opponents.

You could basically end up with a knock-down drag-out full-tilt bar brawl with a dozen people all smacking the shit out of each other, throwing chairs and having a good ole time until the bartender kicks the bunch of you out or until someone too weak to start with gets one-hit killed.

Arrests would ensue only if someone dies or is taken down to "mortally wounded."
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

For noobs out there like me who die in taverns over syntax, make sure you read the hit vs. kill help before attempting all out bar brawls.

I really like those ideas adding to the experience. it is hard to emote being the guy on the stool being tussled by another. Especially when your character has no intention on fighting.
Quote from: AJM
Only noobs quote themselves.

brawl target to unconsciousness
north
poison dagger terradin
hide
throw dagger target south.

Even if you get grabbed by soldiers, who cares? You do not need to 'continue' fighting them, they'll die long before waking up. You can just escape the subdue before hitting the jail.

In my opinion, the reason why brawl does not work on sitting people is simple. It allows people 'not' to 'agree' to be brawled against. You dont want to brawl, remain seated. You accept the challenge, stand up. If you dont like someone who remains seated, why dont you subdue them and enjoy the consequences. There is no need to make taverns 'completely' lacking in safety, and allowing real type knock out does that very much. Especially if you can knock out a merchant in a single round with your fists.

Quote from: Nez on November 20, 2008, 12:36:45 AM
In my opinion, the reason why brawl does not work on sitting people is simple. It allows people 'not' to 'agree' to be brawled against. You dont want to brawl, remain seated. You accept the challenge, stand up.
I don't think you can "agree" to get KTFO. You don't wanna brawl, run. IMO you should be able to drag the stupid feck off his stool.

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 20, 2008, 12:40:34 AM
Quote from: Nez on November 20, 2008, 12:36:45 AM
In my opinion, the reason why brawl does not work on sitting people is simple. It allows people 'not' to 'agree' to be brawled against. You dont want to brawl, remain seated. You accept the challenge, stand up.
I don't think you can "agree" to get KTFO. You don't wanna brawl, run. IMO you should be able to drag the stupid feck off his stool.

Which you can do by subduing them, but it's an overtly hostile action that is forcing a fight rather than a mutual desire to brawl out the argument, and may bring some soldierly attention. If you could wander around brawling everyone against their will without repercussions.. not so great.

So, grabbing cloak and snatching someone to there feet = overtly hostile.
Smashing them in the face with a mug != overtly hostile

If they aren't fighting back, it is.

Rather than dragging them from their stool, you should be able to just punch them in the back of the head. Brawls aren't 'sanctioned fights' like in the arena, they're, 'fights common and usually tame enough that the militia doesn't bother to interfere.'
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

The reason why militia overlooks brawls is it's a mutual fight that both participants want.  If you're dragging someone off their stool to participate in the fight, then you are going beyond the accepted status quo on what a brawl is, you are forcing someone to participate in the fight when they don't want to.  Hence why you need to subdue them to get this, and hence why the militia would get involved at that point and therefore why we don't let you do that with anything less than the subdue command.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

The grabbing shoulder roughly bit oughta be changed, then, Morg. It would be better to explain the reason that you can't start a fight with that person.

You bluster, but the slim, blond man seems uninterested in brawling with you. You'll have to take a more aggressive approach to starting a fight with him, and try to 'kill' him, if you want to make him fight.

Something like that would be better, I think, and would explain the entire situation.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 20, 2008, 10:23:22 AM
The grabbing shoulder roughly bit oughta be changed, then, Morg. It would be better to explain the reason that you can't start a fight with that person.

You bluster, but the slim, blond man seems uninterested in brawling with you. You'll have to take a more aggressive approach to starting a fight with him, and try to 'kill' him, if you want to make him fight.

Something like that would be better, I think, and would explain the entire situation.

Extra explanatory text will be sent to both the attacker and defender.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff