Accomodating low playtimes

Started by staggerlee, November 11, 2008, 11:28:01 AM

Yes, I endorse every thing that's been said here. 
For me having a goal is what has kept my PC away from storage.  Progress towards it has been painfully slow, as I log in regularly, but in bite sized portions, but inch by inch I am getting there.
And low log in hours generally means a long life which is always good for RP.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 11, 2008, 11:57:15 PM
It strikes me that if you are inclined to, you could play one of those crafters, too, if you you are inclined to do a job in the city. It'll take a while to be a master, of course, but hey, it's a long-life, low-risk job, and you're perfectly capable of being able to be social...nobody says you even have to become a master.

Do you think it's really acceptable to be a house crafter as someone who logs in 5-10 hours per week?  Or would that cause too much hassle for most merchant houses?

Gimf's comment that
QuotePCs who are never around can't contribute to plots much, they're impossible to form and continue relationships with, they can't lead, they can't be reliable minions, they can't be ongoing trade partners. At best they can provide an amusing interlude in a public place, if the player is skilled enough (most aren't)
really, really discourages me since I'm someone who only has 5-10 hours for mudding per week but I'd like to be in a clan.

Quote from: garbanzo on November 13, 2008, 10:46:26 PM
Gimf's comment...really, really discourages me since I'm someone who only has 5-10 hours for mudding per week but I'd like to be in a clan.

Don't over-interpret what I'm saying. When I say "PCs that are never around" I mean PCs that are never around. Once upon a time I had one of brytta's PCs under me as a minion in my clan, and the PC was delightfully roleplayed and fun and contributed, and I think he was only playing about 4 to 6 hours per week at the time. The keys are to play in a consistent time slot, play regularly (one hour every day is better than five hours on one day), and be proactive (reach out to the clannies yourself, don't wait for them to do it).
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

It strikes me that if you are inclined to, you could play one of those crafters, too, if you you are inclined to do a job in the city. It'll take a while to be a master, of course, but hey, it's a long-life, low-risk job, and you're perfectly capable of being able to be social...nobody says you even have to become a master.

Do you think it's really acceptable to be a house crafter as someone who logs in 5-10 hours per week?  Or would that cause too much hassle for most merchant houses?
I don't know why.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Having a clan may actually help.  It gives you access to an ooc forum where you can arrange playtimes, stay on top of rumours and communicate with clannies. 
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I'm convinced that this is the reason we have a pick-pocket guild.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

November 14, 2008, 08:56:01 AM #31 Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 08:57:38 AM by FantasyWriter
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 14, 2008, 12:07:24 AM

I don't know why.

I am with 7 and staggerlee on this...
Agent Gizmoduck tells crafter Phenton to keep the hunters with a steady supply of arrows, and in his spare time, worth with crafter Launchpad so that he can learn a bit about weapons skills.

Phenton logs in when he can, makes 5-10 arrows, and puts them in the guard shack.
Try to find Launchpad when he is done... if he's not there, he contacts Agent Gizmoduck to see if he has any other assignments for him.
If he's not around, Phenton makes a few more arrows, then heads over to the tavern to meet and greet.

Perfect arrangement in my opinion.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

FW. I want you to know that the Darkwing Duck reference made my day.

Low play hours only means that your character will take longer in Real Time hours to become what a twinker would deem as "skilled". Be it a crafter, or a pickpocket, or just the local drunk that ALWAYS has a story about their uncle Rochester. If you think your concept would not be flushed out as well because of low play times, come up with one that would. Ask players, ask Helpers, we all would have an idea I'm sure.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on November 14, 2008, 10:40:57 AM

I must be a little older... I was thinking Ducktales, but I will take a spinoff, too!

God, I miss my old cartoons.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on November 15, 2008, 12:26:18 AM
Quote from: Riev on November 14, 2008, 10:40:57 AM

I must be a little older... I was thinking Ducktales, but I will take a spinoff, too!

God, I miss my old cartoons.

IIRC Darkwing Duck predates Ducktales. That was defiantly a Ducktales reference though.

Darkwing duck is way better than Ducktales though, sorry FW.
:shakes his head sadly
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

I totally failed on the Ducktales part. I just saw Launchpad and the name Phenton and assumed.

Oh man Darkwing Duck pretty much kicks all your asses.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 15, 2008, 12:53:24 AM
Darkwing Duck is way better than Ducktales though, sorry FW.
QFT.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Hey... I loved DWD too... I only meant that I was thinking DuckTales. (i watched it for years before DWD came out)

4:20-- DT:1987  DWD:1991

Hehe, and I can still sing both theme songs, lol.
Grebber - One who grebs.