Idea <call mount>

Started by fourTwenty, November 06, 2008, 05:33:16 PM

I think it would be cool if you could call your mount. Obviously it's sorta trained, it doesn't run off if I leave it sitting somewhere. I think it would be cool that if you where in shouting distance you could call your mount and it had a chance to come to you. Maybe only Rangers or it could be based on your ride skill. Something like this:

look n

North of here are some salty, salt flats
[Very Far]
Nothing
[Far]
The rampaging Mek' that just nearly took your leg off and caused you to flee.
[Near]
The little pink pony you where just riding that you ditched like an ugly date

call sparkles (get over here you stupid horse, you don't think Mek's eat horse?)

You shout in sirihish
"Get over here you stupid horse, you don't think Mek's eat horse?"

To the north: A little pink pony lifts its head and looks to the south.
A little pink pony has arrived from the north.

Of course there should also be a fail message for when the bastard's being stubborn.

Also, why don't wild NPC's attack mounts? They will attack other NPC's so I think they should also attack ditched mounts.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

New ranger skill!

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: Yokunama on November 06, 2008, 05:38:39 PM
New ranger skill!
I could dig it, depending on the race of the mount. Insects I would be against this working for, but I could deal with mammals being callable.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I like this idea.  It is practical and realistic.  Teaching an animal to come when they are called is possible in real life, why not in the scenario above?

Can't tell you how many times that has happened to me...

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 06, 2008, 05:33:16 PM
Also, why don't wild NPC's attack mounts? They will attack other NPC's so I think they should also attack ditched mounts.

It's abusable, keeps people from using mounts as tanks.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on November 06, 2008, 06:11:49 PM

It's abusable, keeps people from using mounts as tanks.

Really? I would think a tamed beetle would stand next to no chance against a wild beetle.
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

If you run back in, It is you AND your mount against a black beetle + the assist bonus.

I found an animal that would when I first started playing and did this.
The character later became the first real RP character (Armageddon was my first MUD), and I bugged it.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

It seems to be a situational thing.

There are several circumstances under which wild animals and other NPCs will attack mounts, it's just not 100% yes or no any of the time.

I don't think every single situation I've been in where an animal has attacked my PC's mount or a mount around me has been the result of an animation, at least--I'm pretty sure it happens.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: FantasyWriter on November 06, 2008, 06:24:43 PM
If you run back in, It is you AND your mount against a black beetle + the assist bonus.

Ahh, I see now. Damn twinks.

November 06, 2008, 07:01:38 PM #9 Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 07:04:16 PM by Nez
Honestly now. Is the concept of 'bait' that alien to the hunters of Zalanthas? Maybe make the mounts somehow different? Let's say, only those mounts that were 'tamed' fight back if attacked. While others that were purchased, would instead disengage and start running away in circles.

Yes, it would still allow you to use your mount as a 'damage soak', but hey ... if your mount dies, then you've just lost a lotta 'sid. And it's perfectly natural to lure a silt horror and distract it with a sheep/erdlu, then some rinthi necker.

Plus, you might add the morale thingy. Which I believe already exists. Whatever is it that makes an npc run away whenever someone enters. Very annoying. You could add 'that' as a chance of happening whenever the mount gets attacked. Requiring a skilled ranger to sneak back and retame it or lose it.

edit: Maybe make magickal mounts an exception though. Perhaps the animals feel them to be unnatural and ignore them as if they were boulders or piles of sand.

Quote from: Nez on November 06, 2008, 07:01:38 PM
Honestly now. Is the concept of 'bait' that alien to the hunters of Zalanthas? Maybe make the mounts somehow different? Let's say, only those mounts that were 'tamed' fight back if attacked. While others that were purchased, would instead disengage and start running away in circles.

Yes, it would still allow you to use your mount as a 'damage soak', but hey ... if your mount dies, then you've just lost a lotta 'sid. And it's perfectly natural to lure a silt horror and distract it with a sheep/erdlu, then some rinthi necker.

Plus, you might add the morale thingy. Which I believe already exists. Whatever is it that makes an npc run away whenever someone enters. Very annoying. You could add 'that' as a chance of happening whenever the mount gets attacked. Requiring a skilled ranger to sneak back and retame it or lose it.

edit: Maybe make magickal mounts an exception though. Perhaps the animals feel them to be unnatural and ignore them as if they were boulders or piles of sand.

Very cool ideas.
Grebber - One who grebs.

> use stake
You hammer a wooden stake into the ground.
> tie chalton stake
You tie a lean, six-legged chalton to a wooden stake.
> hold bow; draw arrow quiver; sneak; hide; south
To the north: a lean, six-legged chalton lets out a long, mournful bleat.
To the north: a ruddy brown mekillot arrives from the east.
> think New plan!; run
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on November 10, 2008, 01:34:08 PM

> use stake
You hammer a wooden stake into the ground.
> tie chalton stake
You tie a lean, six-legged chalton to a wooden stake.
> hold bow; draw arrow quiver; sneak; hide; south
To the north: a lean, six-legged chalton lets out a long, mournful bleat.
To the north: a ruddy brown mekillot arrives from the east.
> think New plan!; run

Hah....whatever you do, don't run and hide in an outhouse.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Nice Idea
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Really good idea. I would love for this to be a skill, but I think anyone with a really high ride skill should be able to branch it (maybe it could even branch off of that other skill that branches from ride) ... basically ... I mean to say folks like half-elves should probably get it too since they're supposed to be more in tune with animals than most, reguardless of guild.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on November 11, 2008, 07:06:04 AM
I think anyone with a really high ride skill should be able to branch it

This is sort of how I imagined it, branching off of ride.